PDA

View Full Version : no. 80 protective cover

Tom Adger
10-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a Stanley no. 80 scraper on the way. After doing a little research, I find that the cutter is to be sharpened on each end, leaving a wonderful way to cut yourself on the exposed up edge. I have found several references to a "protective cover", which evidently originally came with the scraper. Anyone know where I can get one? Or, ideas on a shopmade cover?

jerry nazard
10-17-2009, 1:18 PM
You could perhaps replicate the Stanley cover by coating the blade in Vaseline and then dipping the edge of the blade in liquid plastic tool dip. I just wrap the exposed edge in duct tape when I can't find the cover.

Mark Ketelsen
10-17-2009, 1:28 PM
I've used a Stanley 80 for years and never bothered covering the exposed cutter edge. My hands remain below the level of the exposed edge, and worrying about it never occured to me. I suppose you could put masking tape over it if it bothers you.

BTW if you are new to this tool here is what I have found to be necessary to get consistent chatter-free operation on difficult timbers:

1. use an aftermarket high-end cutter such as the one Ron Hock sells

2. use a very, very light cut (you can take sub-mil shaving by having the screw just barely touching the cutter)

3. skew the scrapper quite a bit

4. use LOTS of downward pressure

Tom Adger
10-17-2009, 6:00 PM
Jerry, I like the idea of the liquid tool dip. I will give it a try.
Mark, thanks for the suggesions. Yes, it will be my first time with a no. 80. It's always good to have input from someone who has already been there and done that.

Doug Shepard
10-17-2009, 6:06 PM
I'm just using a short piece of a plastic saw blade cover that I cut then wound with a couple wraps of black tape to close the ends up. It's been working for about 15 years and so far no injuries.