PDA

View Full Version : Drink Coaster Backing

OrlandoWinger steven
10-17-2009, 9:12 AM
I looking for some cork for the back of coaster that I would like to make.
I went to the local craft stores in my area and they sell it 8"x11" sheets. I need it with the adhesive already on it. Is there a website out there that I can buy this wholesale.
Or is there some other material that I can use?

Thanks,
Steven

sean m. titmas
10-17-2009, 9:22 AM
You might want to look for a different type of adhesive other than PSA because i doubt it will hold up for very long. brush grade contact cement used for plastic laminate would perform better in my opinion. try looking at a tile supply house for cork underlayment. they might have some remnants to sell you cheap.

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Look in the shelf-lining department at the hardware store: 12"x48" rolls of 1/16" self-adhesive cork for a couple of dollars. It's marketed by the same people who do the 'Contact' shelf paper.

And yes, if you roll it down tight, the stuff will stay on pretty much forever. Trust me on this.

Mike Null
10-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I think you can find it at HD or Lowes.

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I think you can find it at HD or Lowes.Absolutely. You just have to walk a lot further and stand in line longer to pay for it. :p

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-17-2009, 6:18 PM
Michael's Craft store also has it in rolls, just unroll it and place your coaster on it press, then put it in the laser and trim, or that is how we do it.

Jeff Belany
10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Used to get it in 36" wide rolls, w/PSA (the PSA worked very well) from, I believe, Atlantic Gasket. But they have a pretty large minimum which was 250 lineal feet which is an awful lot of coasters. Google them and see.

Jeff

Gary Lyben
10-19-2009, 8:28 AM
Try here, they have a lot:

http://aetnafelt.thomasnet.com/viewitems/felt-industrial-felt/adhesive-cork-dots (http://aetnafelt.thomasnet.com/viewitems/felt-industrial-felt/adhesive-cork-dots)?

Best regards

Gary

Andrea Weissenseel
10-21-2009, 3:36 AM
For my slate coasters I use felt dots with adhesive backing, just stick them on and that's it - I remember seeing them made out of cork as well

Marc Myer
10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
OK, I totally misunderstood this thread!
I thought you all were using the cork for the front (or top) of the coasters!
Apparently it's a new thing here in the tourist biz. Get good fine grain cork, apply it to a standard coaster, laser your cool image on the cork. So far, they are selling well.

Lee DeRaud
10-21-2009, 2:28 PM
Get good fine grain cork, apply it to a standard coaster, laser your cool image on the cork.That works too, but the 1/16" stuff is a little thin for that.

Marc Myer
10-21-2009, 9:27 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I've only just started to practice lasering cork--still trying to get the settings right on some 1/8' thick pieces. I'd like to find a better quality than the stuff they sell at HD--the cells are a bit too coarse for really nice images.