PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Gloat and Some questions

Blake Barr
10-17-2009, 7:49 AM
I just picked this lathe and the turning tools up last night for $25!!! It works fine though it seems is needs some maintenance and the chisels need sharpened. It's a 50's era delta/homecraft 11" swing 36" bed lathe!

The chisels are Buck Bros, they say made in the USA and where bought years ago (he said he's had the lathe for 11 years). They where bought at a used tool store in Mass (where the orig buck bros is from) so they might be pre great neck tools...

Everything works fine though I have some questions

1) The headstock is oil lubricated, what kind of oil should I use?

2) For the tailstock what kind of crease should I use. It was pretty warm after turning for about 15 min

3) The motor started squealing after a bit... is there any sort of lubricant it needs? Maybe a shot or two of WD40 in the right places?

4) What is a good cheap way to quickly put edges on these tools. I'd like a tormek but they are too much. Can a bench grinder really do the trick?

Robert Snowden
10-17-2009, 8:01 AM
It might be that the belt is slipping.The older mortor's had oil cap's above the bearing's.Robert

Blake Barr
10-17-2009, 8:15 AM
What type of oil should I be using?

phil harold
10-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Dont use wd-40 for bearings on the motor or head stock

I use "zoom spout" oil get it at the hardware store. it has a long spout to oil hard to reach things
but you can get electric motor oil at almost any hardware store

for the tail stock you may want a live-center
pennstateind.com/store/live-tailstock-centers.html
or you can use some of the electric motor bearing oil on a dead center or wax

google "old woodworking machines" and they have a tons of information about old tools

yours look like its from 1930-40

Get an 8" variable speed grinder to sharpen with and use on low speed (1750)

Your tools are Carbon Steel they will work for you just dont blue the edge while sharpening. Later you can buy some High Speed Steel (HSS) tools

looks like a good lathe!
watch out for the vortex!

you will spend many times the amount you paid for the lathe for tooling

visit the SMC's turning forum, plenty of help there

Carroll Courtney
10-17-2009, 9:13 AM
Blake,nice lathe.The brother in-law and I restore has lathe that was the same vintage as yours.The difference was not as good deal as yours(Major Gloat)I agree,get you a live center and like Phil said the oil with the Zoom Spout,yes that's the name.If you can't fine it then the 3M oil will do.One of the problems that we found was the length of the belt flopping around alittle,the answer was a Link belt or a belt that has the grooves cut in it.(can't remember the name) WC had their slow rpm grinders(1800) on sale awhile back for 99.00 which will require a learning curve.I'm not there yet:confused: Congrats again "let the shaving fly"----Carroll

george wilson
10-17-2009, 9:29 AM
U had a lathe like that in the 60's and 70's. it worked just fine. You could use NON-DETERGENT 10 weight motor oil,or 20 weight. Be sure to use NON DETERGENT.

Blake Barr
10-17-2009, 3:51 PM
Ok I got some 20w non-detergent oil (couldn't find the other stuff) and the electric motor oil etc... I definately want the live center... the one on it is almost scary....

John Mowgli
01-10-2010, 5:26 AM
Blake, did you ever get that live center?
I have an extra Morse Taper #1
PM me if you can use it.