PDA

View Full Version : Michaels Craft Store

Anthony Scira
10-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Went in there to buy a couple sheets of 1/8 inch ply for some electric motor mounts.

I stumbled into a wall of laser cut ornaments for Halloween and Christmas. They were generic but all in all nice. I think the idea was you can color or paint them. But they were selling for a BUCK !

I can't figure out how they do it for that price !

Problem with it really is people see this stuff for a buck and then when you set up and try to charge 5-10 bucks they are like, "but at Michael's they sell it for a dollar." Even though ours are WAY cooler !

Randy Digby
10-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Yea, I saw those last week, also. Some were laser cut but most in our store were die cut. Good for ideas for freebies to our families, I guess.

Dan Hintz
10-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Problem with it really is people see this stuff for a buck and then when you set up and try to charge 5-10 bucks they are like, "but at Michael's they sell it for a dollar." Even though ours are WAY cooler !
And that is exactly how you deal with the situation. You quickly point out that while they can certainly purchase an ornament at Michaels for $1, what they're purchasing for that $1 is a very generic item that lacks detail and is owned by everyone who shops the same aisle. When they purchase one of yours, they're buying a highly detailed, hand-crafted :p, made-in-the-USA item.

David Fairfield
10-17-2009, 8:49 AM
Dan is right, plus I use genuine Corinthian Plywood!
:D
Dave

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2009, 9:21 AM
Same thing in Cracker Barrel. It's a 1/4" thick piece of a small tree limb, cut diagonal with the bark still on. Has cut outs of deer on them. .99 cents.

David Fairfield
10-17-2009, 2:58 PM
Actually a buck isn't bad at all. I could probably make a couple hundred an hour, even if I sold em for 60 cents wholesale, it would be a pretty good product. Finding the customers for that kitsch is the problem.

Dave

Jeff Belany
10-17-2009, 11:28 PM
David,

I'd sure like the trick you would use to do 'a couple hundred an hour' on your 35W. My 45W ran some the other day (just like Michaels) and took 2-3 minutes each. Sure wish I could do them faster.

Jeff

David Fairfield
10-18-2009, 9:09 AM
Hey Jeff

The trick is get a part time gig in a shop with a higher powered machine! :)

Dave