PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal wear for a 2101 brace?

Adam Woznicki
10-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I picked up a Stanley 2101A-10 Bell System-B brace on Sunday(another $4 buy!).

It looks like It's had very little use, including the jaws which are mint.
But after I took it apart to clean out the fossilized green grease, I found the pawls very worn.
It seems to work fine but I haven't put it through and thing heavy yet.

The Yankee 2101-12 brace I have(made by North Bros, under the "Stanley tool co." name) looks like it's had a much rougher life, but has no such wear on the pawls.

Is this normal wear for a 2101 brace, or is this a symptom of Stanley's lower build standards vs the Yankee?

Harlan Barnhart
10-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I think you have one of the famous "green grease" yankees. According to my memory it was an experiment with a "Permanent" lubricant that didn't work out so well. Maybe yours experienced premature wear through insufficient lubrication. For more info try "georgesbasement.com" Lots of info on types ect... and an article on the green grease. Nice price anyway.

David Keller NC
10-17-2009, 10:22 AM
What that looks like to me isn't wear, it's abuse. There are plenty of instances of 2nd or 3rd less than sophisticated owners of woodworking hand tools that caused major damage by using the tool for something other than was intended. Using a chisel to open a paint can is a common example.

I'm guessing that your brace may have been used with a socket. I've seen a few of these at flea markets - a socket with a tapered brace shank where the ratchet drive would ordinarily go. These braces are not, of course, designed for that kind of torque, and the damage you picture would be consistent with that kind of use.

However, you might be able to heat the pawls up with a torch and peen them back into shape on a machinist's vise anvil.

Ken Whitney
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM
George Langford's tutorial on rehab of the 2101 is very helpful.

http://www.georgesbasement.com/fs2101a.htm

The pawls may show some wear. If there's a bur along the thinner part, it's OK to file that bur flush with the edge. It takes only a few strokes with a file, and it keeps the bur from catching the ridges on the spindle on the backwards stroke, which can render the ratchet useless.

I followed George's method on a recent rehab, and the results were very good.

Ken

Adam Woznicki
10-18-2009, 9:30 PM
Thanks Ken, I guess I skipped over that part.

Harlan Barnhart
10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm guessing that your brace may have been used with a socket. I've seen a few of these at flea markets - a socket with a tapered brace shank where the ratchet drive would ordinarily go.

YIKES! I've never considered that such a thing might be possible. That would cause some damage.

I have a yankee screwdriver that came with damaged paws. I got good results by sanding them flat.

harry strasil
10-18-2009, 10:20 PM
If it is a Bell System brace, it was mostly used in close quarters, most braces with the ratcheting feature never get used in the ratcheting mode.