PDA

View Full Version : Need direction.....advice.....

Dennis McGarry
10-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok well I have a week to go before picking up my lathe and router and I am going insane. Starting working on a crosscut sled for the table saw, (again thanks Ed4copies)

I am now planing on making a encloser for the saw, the leafs on either side are a bit off level and a little worn, so was thinking to make a enclosure for it and adding a better fence. Any ideas on doing this?

Also, making a shopping list of the things I need once i get the lathe, you know, mandral, bushings, drill bits, blanks, glue etc.. Now I want to start doing segmenting as well, since i have a box or two of end pieces and other blanks coming, I have the band saw and tablesaw, will have a router as well.

Now thinking I need a jointer more then a planer to start with, I know most say go with a planer over a jointer but I am thinking that doing pen and bowl segments, a jointer is the way to go. BUT money is an object here and was thinking the 4 in jointer from HF might just work, use the 20% off coupon and its not a bad deal. Would this work for basic segmenting work to get a nice stright side on the pieces?

Already planned out my first bowl, going to try the economy bowl design but use 2in square pieces of contrasting wood, Thinking purpleheart and ebony.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading...

Harold Burrell
10-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Personally, I would NOT get a 4 in. jointer...nor would I get the HF. Save your pennies and get at least a 6. Even a benchtop. Grizzly sells one for $199.

I would agree that you should get a jointer before the planer (although I did just the opposite :o).

Dennis McGarry
10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Personally, I would NOT get a 4 in. jointer...nor would I get the HF. Save your pennies and get at least a 6. Even a benchtop. Grizzly sells one for $199.

I would agree that you should get a jointer before the planer (although I did just the opposite :o).

Thats what I figured, Any ideas on a good way to get the sides of the blanks stright for joining without a jointer? Sandpaper on glass?

Stephen Reid
10-17-2009, 7:59 AM
There is a few ways for you to joint your pieces. You can use a straight line rip jig for your ts.Or if you have a table for your router you can joint edges on it with a offset fence.Also a hand plane is a good solution if you have one but more learning curve if you aren't currently using planes.Do some searchs here for lots more info on these methods.Hope this helps.