PDA

View Full Version : Reference my post "New Delta Mini Lathe"

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2009, 9:14 PM
In my post about my New Delta Mini Lathe I expressed concern about not being able to lock down none of my four chucks. I looked at them again and found out that I was wrong. Three of the four are Nova Chucks and do have set screws. The problem is that I have a 1 x 8 TPI insert in them and the inserts do not have set screws. Does any one know where I can purchase inserts with set screws?

Steve Mawson
10-16-2009, 9:57 PM
There is an insert listed on Woodcrafts site that is R & L. This R & L might have a set screw or I could be totally imagining the whole thing. If you find one with a set screw let me know.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 9:58 PM
Bill,

Woodcraft this link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005199/3122/1-8-TPI-RandL-Insert.aspx

Bill Bulloch
10-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Bill,

Woodcraft this link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005199/3122/1-8-TPI-RandL-Insert.aspx

Thanks Ken, that appears to be what I need. I sent Teknatool an email asking if they were available, they just haven't answered yet.

Steve, the picture of this one at Woodcraft show a set screw.

Jim Sebring
10-17-2009, 12:23 AM
The newer Nova inerts have grub screws. The first G3 chuck I bought a couple of years came with an 8x1 insert sans the grub screw.

Jeff Nicol
10-17-2009, 7:12 AM
Said this before and I will say it again. In the time since I have had my PM3520B, I have only used the set srew one time and I almost ruined the threads on the headstock! The only time it would ever be necessary is in reverse and the only time I am in reverse is to sand and when I sand the lathe speed is much slower than when turning the piece. The only time I have ever had anything loosen on the headstock was when I was turning a piece about 90lbs and I turned the lathe off without slowing down the blank. It was out of round and inbetween centers, but it would create some reverse momentum some how and the faceplate would loosen. But since it was between centers that was all it did. Most of the time when I am done with a piece I have to use some force to get the chuck, or faceplate loose, if it is put on snug it normally will tighten a bit when turning, so I just never use the set screw any more as it is a big pain it the butt!

Just my opinion and to spend a lot of money for new inserts seems costly to me!

Take care and have fun,

Jeff