PDA

View Full Version : Leg design - critique needed!

John Keeton
10-16-2009, 8:58 PM
As most of you know, turning is a new adventure for me. I haven't had as much practice time as I had hoped, but I need to move forward with a table project I want to do.

The table will be 36" wide x 24" deep, and only 28.5" high (vs. 30".) In doing the legs, I want to play off the leg design on a hutch/secretary I built using antique legs. This is a pic (not very good!) of that leg.
The hutch/secretary leg is 2 5/8" wide and the center portion is faceted - 8 sides.

I did a practice piece earlier in poplar, which I posted. I was not at all happy with the "roundness" and scale of the turned areas, but this will give you a better idea of the faceted portion.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128728&thumb=1&d=1254000930 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128728&d=1254000930)
I want to use a lighter, more refined look than the antique leg. So, I have added a slight taper to the design, but used the same cuts - on a reduced scale. This is the template I have at this point.
This is my first real attempt at turning a finished piece, and to say I am apprehensive would be an understatement. I am comfortable with furniture design concepts, but this is the first "spooled" design that I have attempted. Before I commit the wood, I would really appreciate any input on the layout, dimensions, etc. My first impulse is that it needs more taper, but what are your thoughts?

David Christopher
10-16-2009, 9:23 PM
John, I think the proportions look good

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I like it John. Looks really good. Nice design.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 10:12 PM
John,

The proportions look good to me.

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
John - I am not a furniture designer - so I need a little more input as to what the rest of the table is going to look like before deciding if the leg fits the design. Would hate to have you turn a leg that doesn't fit with the style of the piece.

That being said - I would think the combined width of the table top and apron would determine if the leg would look better with additional taper. Has to work together - kind of a variation of the continuous curve we always talk about in turning.

Paul Atkins
10-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I think your instincts are right. Straight is straight and a not quite taper is not quite enough. I also think it needs a bit more taper and otherwise looks good.

Tony De Masi
10-17-2009, 7:19 AM
John, I agree with Steve on this. What is the overall look of the table? Chuncky,(old furniture term:rolleyes:), or a more graceful elegant look. If chuncky then I say go with the design you have. If you are looking for the more elegant look then I say you need to taper the leg more.

Tony

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 8:50 AM
I rarely do actual design plans, and am more prone to do a rough sketch and cut as I go. Even worse for measuring!! My method is to establish the outside dimensions and build to the middle. Not very conducive to conveying a mental image to someone - but, it seems to work for me. Though, I do now own a very nice set of Incra rules gifted to me by Ed Sallee on his creeker visit!

I do agree with everyone on style here, so I spent some time this morning doing a rough sketch. BTW, if I do a sketch, and then "up" load it - is that the same as using SketchUp????:D
The table will have a walnut top and legs. The apron will be curly maple with a walnut accent piece along the bottom that will also serve as the base into which I will attach the drawer guide assembly.

There will be a shelf, supported by walnut brackets that will be approx. 1" thick. The shelf brackets will be doweled in to the facet of the leg. They will have a shallow cove on the top only, running front to back, and a rounded edge where they meet the curly maple shelf. The shelf will have edges that are rounded over.
I have increased the taper to the legs. The faceted portion now starts at 2.25" and runs to 1.75" where the lower spooled portion begins.

I doubt this table conforms to any particular style, and it may not be pleasing to some (or any??) I rarely adhere to established styles - must be the Southern rebel thing??

Does this add anything to the discussion?

David Christopher
10-17-2009, 9:13 AM
John, with what you have drawn and it beeing 28" I think the tapper that you have shown will look good. if you tapper too much with that lenth it will look too skinny

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2009, 9:22 AM
John,

I had to look at the drawing and then leave it for a while. Then I had to revisit it to get a mental impression of it in my mind.

I think the tapers are good for what you want to do. Initially I had a feeling that the legs were too long and thin and would give a weak, fragile feeling. Then it dawned on my that the lower "object" is the 1" thick shelf you are talking about and not a stretcher. That will give an impression of added strength and more visual balance.

I like it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-17-2009, 10:02 AM
John - I like the additional taper. To me it fits well with your design, will not look fragile and adds an element of style. Looking forward to seeing this come to life!

Jim Underwood
10-17-2009, 10:59 AM
It's looking good! I like the idea of additional taper too. I wonder how a longer vase shape at the bottom would look?

Like others, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 11:14 AM
...the lower "object" is the 1" thick shelf you are talking about and not a stretcher. That will give an impression of added strength and more visual balance...Ken, this whole template idea results from your suggestion - a good one, I might add! By adding the cove to the walnut shelf brackets (running across the TS at a cant similar to beginning the molding of cove molding) and adding a rounded edge where it meets the curly maple shelf, I think it will add some dimension and visual weight to the lower portion of the table.

...an element of style.Now THAT will be a first for me!!:o

I wonder how a longer vase shape at the bottom would look?Jim, on the prototype poplar leg the vase shape was extended - unintentionally - because I did not do a template as wisely suggested by Ken. To me, it seemed too long. Perhaps something in between might look OK, but it seems everyone is at least "comfortable" with this design.

David, thanks for the participation here. I do think without the shelf the legs would be too skinny for the mass of the top portion of the table.

I have recut the template. Now to do the measurements, finish mill and taper my blanks, and see if I can do one of these!!:confused:

Then, see if I can make three more look at least similar to the first one:eek:

Thanks to all for being supportive of a newbie!!