PDA

View Full Version : Help Rust

Hilel Salomon
10-16-2009, 7:03 PM
When I was last in SC. I turned a neat hf using Randy Privett's articulated system. I was gone for about a month. I know it rained but...... After doing some small stuff, I decided to make a lidded hf, but now I can't get any of the attachments off. The rust has frozen the bits in the holders and even a smaller holder won't come off the large one. Any ideas? I've tried wd40, but the rust is something awful.
Thanks, Hilel.

Mike Lipke
10-16-2009, 7:08 PM
Kroil Oil is the best. Order on line. Even if you get the stuff apart in the next day or so, order the Kroil Oil on line for the next time. Nothing quite like it.
Also makes a darn fine cologne. Women can't keep their hands off of you.

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2009, 7:24 PM
Hilel - sorry to hear about the rust problem! I've always used 'liquid wrench' and it has worked for me but have to think there are new products out there that would work even better! Wish you luck with this as it sounds like a major pain!

Looking forward to seeing your HF - once you get the tools freed up!

Ryan Baker
10-16-2009, 7:44 PM
Liquid Wrench is good, but PB Blaster is a lot better. You can get it at just about any auto parts store and many hardware stores.

David Christopher
10-16-2009, 7:48 PM
Liquid Wrench is good, but PB Blaster is a lot better. You can get it at just about any auto parts store and many hardware stores.

+1 on PB Blaster

Willie Wax
10-16-2009, 8:27 PM
Here in South Louisiana we have a problem with rust from the humidity and salty air to the extent that the PVC pipes will rust.

I have used PB Blaster before and it does work. I am trying a product that I have used on shotguns and rifles before called Rusteprufe. I know that it has worked well for me for preventing rust forming from skin (hand and face) contact. Hopefully I will have a positive report soon.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
+1 for the PB Blaster.

Jeff Nicol
10-17-2009, 7:15 AM
Another for the PB or as I call it PEANUT BUTTER BLASTER! Works very well and I have used a ton of it over the years working on cars!

Jeff

M Toupin
10-17-2009, 9:50 AM
Machinist Workshop did a test a while back, here's the results:

Penetrating oil ---- Average load
None ------------- 516 pounds
WD-40 ----------- 238 pounds
PB Blaster -------- 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ---- 127 pounds
Kano Kroil -------- 106 pounds
PSF-Acetone mix - 53 pounds (5 0/50 mix)

http://sterkel.org/systems-engineering-associates/papers/avocations/Testing_Penetrating_Oils.pdf (http://sterkel.org/systems-engineering-associates/papers/avocations/Testing_Penetrating_Oils.pdf)

Mike

Tom Lewis
10-17-2009, 1:21 PM
Move to Carlsbad New Mexico and you won't have that problem.

Hilel Salomon
10-17-2009, 1:53 PM
Well I sprayed with pb buster and no luck. The four areas which have practically welded are the large bar to one of the tool holding bars. That tool holder's hunter bit and it's rod are also stuck as I can't get the grup screws off. Even then, the rod may not come off. Another tool holder's straight scraper bit won't come off. The grub screws are as if welded on, and any great amount of pressure will probably strip them. I'll try and soak them overnight but I'm not very optimistic.
I may need to order replacements or something. Ah well, I knew that things had been going too smoothly at the shop.
Regards, Hilel.

Nick Hoffman
10-17-2009, 2:21 PM
If its rusted well it may take days or weeks with penetration oils and no heat.
I used to get this stuff called breakaway "I think its what it was called" and it dissolved the rust, it contained an acid, I can no longer find the stuff, It worked fast you could watch the rust melt away.

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2009, 2:32 PM
Machinist Workshop did a test a while back, here's the results:

Penetrating oil ---- Average load
None ------------- 516 pounds
WD-40 ----------- 238 pounds
PB Blaster -------- 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ---- 127 pounds
Kano Kroil -------- 106 pounds
PSF-Acetone mix - 53 pounds (5 0/50 mix)

http://sterkel.org/systems-engineering-associates/papers/avocations/Testing_Penetrating_Oils.pdf (http://sterkel.org/systems-engineering-associates/papers/avocations/Testing_Penetrating_Oils.pdf)

Mike

They didn't happen to mention or test Deep Creep, did they? Same company as PB, but supposed to be the step above (harder to find as well).

Matt Ranum
10-17-2009, 3:05 PM
+1 for PB again, although a close second is Knock-er-loose.

Dave Ogren
10-17-2009, 3:30 PM
The best that I have ever used is "THRUST" by Castle, It has never let me down. Might be a little hard to find. It is handled by some auto parts stores or go to their web site , call, and they will give you the name and phone number of the local distributor that usually sells to auto mechanics. Trust me it is the ultimate. Good luck.

Dave

Mark P. Brown
10-17-2009, 4:51 PM
For very rusted items I use diesel. Put the ends in a gallon can cover with diesel let soak for a week. Works for me.
Mark

Bobby Perry
10-17-2009, 7:38 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and get you a gal of "Eviro-Rust" Let the items that are rusted sit in it for overnight. It will eat the rust off. It is environmentally safe. Just wash it with water. If it gets too low just add water. You can also look it up on the internet.