PDA

View Full Version : NYW - I guess it's official

Bill Arnold
10-16-2009, 4:47 PM
This just in. :eek: (http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/New%20Yankee%20Workshop%20Closing%20Its%20Doors.as px)

Also being reported on Fine Woodworking and other sites.
(http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/New%20Yankee%20Workshop%20Closing%20Its%20Doors.as px)

Jim Rimmer
10-16-2009, 5:11 PM
Wow! Just ending - no farewell tour, no specials, no good byes. Oh, well, all good things must come to an end. I wish him well.

Rob Wright
10-16-2009, 5:18 PM
:(

I wish him well in retirement.

Robert Strebler
10-16-2009, 5:29 PM
I learned a lot from Norm. I wish him well. His shows will live on through reruns I'm sure.

Pat Germain
10-16-2009, 5:37 PM
It's been a great journey. Thanks, Norm!

Adam Strong
10-16-2009, 5:37 PM
Sad to see this end with no fanfare. Norm inspired many, including me, to learn a skill and build something. Wish him the best.

John Gregory
10-16-2009, 5:39 PM
The best to you Norm. You will be missed but never forgotten!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 5:43 PM
His humble demeaner will be missed by me. Good luck!

Jason Beam
10-16-2009, 5:43 PM
Can I play Taps now? :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 5:48 PM
Wouldn't that be a little over the top?
:confused:

You did notice the source for this had a little more credibility than I heard my BIL and a friend talking?

Ben Martin
10-16-2009, 5:49 PM
Can I play Taps now? :D

Quoting Star Wars:

I feel a great disturbance in the force!

I also learned a lot from Norm, but luckily his teachings will live on on my DVR!

James Carmichael
10-16-2009, 5:50 PM
So long, "Nahm"

I'll think of you every time I cut a mahtice or drive a doll

Jason Beam
10-16-2009, 5:52 PM
Wouldn't that be a little over the top?:confused:

Nah .. i think it just skims the top - so not quite over. :rolleyes:

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 6:29 PM
So long, "Nahm"

I'll think of you every time I cut a mahtice or drive a doll

I don't get it. He was perfectly clear to me....

<<-- speaking as one born/raised just outside of Boston...

Paul Steiner
10-16-2009, 7:47 PM
Aw man that sucks. They definitely need to do sometype final season or a review Norm's favorite episodes. I am pretty sure that NYW was the longest running show on PBS and the Woodwrights Shop is a close second. Hopefully WWS will be on for a little while longer.

Colin Giersberg
10-16-2009, 7:53 PM
I was beginning to think the show was nearing its end this last season. For the last several seasons, Norm would show what projects would be coming up in the new season, but the last show of season 21 did not seem to have that. I wondered about what was going on, but chalked it up to Norm wanting to surprise everyone in the new season. I guess that was the unofficial end of the show.

Norm, I wish you good luck in any new endeavors, and the best of luck in your retirement from TNYW.

Regards, Colin

Peter Quinn
10-16-2009, 7:53 PM
Does Norm mention the reason for ending the show in any of the press? Is it a simple retirement from the broadcast?

Rod Sheridan
10-16-2009, 9:44 PM
Norm inspired many hobbiests, myself included.

Best wishes Norm................Regards, Rod.

Bill Arnold
10-16-2009, 9:44 PM
Aw man that sucks. They definitely need to do sometype final season or a review Norm's favorite episodes. I am pretty sure that NYW was the longest running show on PBS and the Woodwrights Shop is a close second. Hopefully WWS will be on for a little while longer.
NYW did 20 seasons of production. Sesame Street had its premier on November 10, 1969, so it's nearing 40 years. I was still working at a PBS station when the first episode aired. This Fall, Woodwright's Shop celebrates 20 years on PBS.

Christopher Stahl
10-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Does Norm mention the reason for ending the show in any of the press? Is it a simple retirement from the broadcast?

Norm has other endeavors to pursue. I'm sure you'll hear about them in the future.

daniel lane
10-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I, too, will miss him. He inspired me to get into woodworking and, I kid you not, to purchase a compressor and brad nailer. I never thought about getting one until I watched Norm use it all the time! :D

daniel

James Reichman
10-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Tip a cold one to you. Norm. Enjoy your retirement. I will watch all the re-runs with just as much interest as I had when they were new.

Denny Rice
10-17-2009, 12:10 AM
This is truly a sad day....I have for 20 years looked forward to the new episodes of N.Y.W. every Saturday morning. What now? DIY network killed David Marks show "woodworks" and replaced it with an idiot pushing tools on a show called "cool tools"...and now Norm is retiring from the New Yankee Workshop. Whats a guy to do??? Come on Norm, just one more season I know you have it in you!:D

David Cramer
10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Norm's the man and has done much more for woodworking than he'll ever get credit for.

:DYeah Jason, taps would still be a little over the top:D if not "A LOT" over the top.

He's not making a show anymore and that really bums me out because I'm a big fan, but he's still breathing:confused: therefore no need for taps, not even in jest. Sorry Jason, I'm an honest poster but unfortunately I don't have 1,000's of posts next to my name, so you'll never understand;).

Cheers to you Norm and thanks for being nice to my little guy and talking with him for so long. He has his picture on his headboard and will never forget the day he met Norm. Enjoy your new endeavors and I hope you live many more happy and healthy years.

David

Denny Rice
10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I think it would be cool if PBS continues to re-run the show in the same time slot or even put DVD box sets together by seasons for people who need their weekly fix of Norm!

David Keller NC
10-17-2009, 10:15 AM
NYW did 20 seasons of production. Sesame Street had its premier on November 10, 1969, so it's nearing 40 years. I was still working at a PBS station when the first episode aired. This Fall, Woodwright's Shop celebrates 20 years on PBS.

The Woodwright's show has been produced for 28 seasons - it beats out NYW by quite a bit. However, it hasn't been nationally syndicated for all of those years - the first ones were locally-broadcast shows on UNC-TV.

I've spoken to Roy about this, and sadly, the original film from the first few seasons has largely been lost. So if you're someone that was an early-adopter of VCR technology, and faithfully recorded TWS, you might want to give UNC-TV a call. Not sure there'd be any money in it for you, but the donation would be tax deductible. And if the tapes were in good shape and well-recorded, it might be that UNC-TV will choose to put them out on DVD. You'd definitely be doing a service to the WW community.

Update - For those interested in the history of the Woodwright's Shop, there's a Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woodwright's_Shop

Dennis McGarry
10-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Going to miss the show, and I will bet thata when pledge drive time comes, we will see more of the re-runs and maybe a dvd over priced..

The nature of PBS...

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2009, 5:28 PM
Going to miss the show, and I will bet thata when pledge drive time comes, we will see more of the re-runs and maybe a dvd over priced..

The nature of PBS...

I had heard a long time ago that pledge drives during the NYW did not produce much $$$$$

Bill Arnold
10-17-2009, 5:44 PM
The Woodwright's show has been produced for 28 seasons - it beats out NYW by quite a bit. However, it hasn't been nationally syndicated for all of those years - the first ones were locally-broadcast shows on UNC-TV. ...
I sit corrected. The list I checked indicated 20 years on PBS for TWS but must not have included the earlier years.

In any case, Big Bird beats both of them! :eek:

Dean Karavite
10-17-2009, 8:17 PM
This is truly a sad day....I have for 20 years looked forward to the new episodes of N.Y.W. every Saturday morning. What now? DIY network killed David Marks show "woodworks" and replaced it with an idiot pushing tools on a show called "cool tools"...and now Norm is retiring from the New Yankee Workshop. Whats a guy to do??? Come on Norm, just one more season I know you have it in you!:D

This is very true. As someone new to woodworking in the past two years I seem to have bad timing when it comes to TV. There is nothing left worth watching (other than Norm or David Marks reruns) on my 300 channels.

Randal Stevenson
10-17-2009, 10:52 PM
THANK YOU NORM!

Sorry, there is no plaid color. If you knew what I had to learn from, it was you, or doing/finding things out myself (could have been the hard way on a lot), or a father, that has been described as a cross between Tim Taylor and Red Green.

Rick Levine
10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Personally, I'm devastated. I first took up woodworking in a high school shop class and never really got hooked again until NYW. I have watched just about every episode and have many of them recorded on a couple of TIVO disks and some saved to DVD. I can't tell you how much I have learned from him. I never had anyone in my family that could pass on that kind of learning to me so I really did think of him as my personal teacher.

sean m. titmas
10-18-2009, 12:38 AM
I think we should all wear red plaid for a day in honor of an icon who touched and inspired so many people with his unique brand of woodworking.

Chris Barnett
10-18-2009, 1:04 AM
Am sure Norm will enjoy what else he plans to do now that the show prep burden is over; hope we hear about him from time to time. A craftsman, and a teacher.

Randal Stevenson
10-18-2009, 1:11 AM
I think we should all wear red plaid for a day in honor of an icon who touched and inspired so many people with his unique brand of woodworking.

What day? We should get this out on other forums, so it can be seen. (not immediately)

sean m. titmas
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
What day? We should get this out on other forums, so it can be seen. (not immediately)

perhaps whatever day is the last showing of his show or the day he officially retires.

Michael Schwartz
10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Maybe Norm can move into his own shop now and use tools of his personal liking without any pressure from sponsors to use there tools for sales/demonstration purposes, or just build something without show producers hovering over his shoulder the whole day influencing how he does things. :D

I think watching Norm when I was a child is probably the reasont I am perusing woodworking as a career.

Paul Greathouse
10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I had heard a long time ago that pledge drives during the NYW did not produce much $$$$$

Dave,

It's kind of ironic how that statement so closely parallels the kind of support this forum receives from the majority if its members. Sad but true.

Curt Harms
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
so he's not really retiring, or have I missed something? I remember reading somewhere recently where finding sponsors and production $ has gone from difficult to near impossible. I wonder if that accelerated the inevitable. I suspect that after 260 episodes or more (20 years X 13 episodes/yr.) it's become a challenge to find new projects, especially with a limited budget. Regardless, the rascal cost me $:D:D.

Jim Mackell
10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I've really enjoyed his shows over the last 20 years. While I always "liked" woodworking, it was watching his shows that convinced me I could do more, and do it better. I hope that he has as much fun in his retirement as he deserves. Good luck Norm and thanks for the 20 years of inspiration and education.

Craig Hemsath
10-18-2009, 1:36 PM
Am sure Norm will enjoy what else he plans to do now that the show prep burden is over; hope we hear about him from time to time. A craftsman, and a teacher.
I read something once and Norm was describing how the production schedule was just brutal to do the show. IIRC, They'd build two pieces- a trial run then a recorded run and they'd need to do it in a very short amount of time. Some very late nights and early mornings to get it done on schedule.

I always liked that you could see when it was hot in Boston as Norm's shirt would be soaked from sweat.

Jim Becker
10-18-2009, 9:36 PM
It had to happen at some point. Norm has worked very hard for many years and with multiple shows in production as well as appearances, etc., the schedule can be grueling. Kudos to him for making the decision to slow down a little and enjoy life and family. No matter what you may think about individual projects (and some of the techniques in older shows), he opened up woodworking to so many of us like no one else. His inspiration absolutely got me going!

Jason Strauss
10-18-2009, 9:51 PM
Thanks Norm! And happy trails to NYW! The show, along with TOH have inspired me to build my own house and get into woodworking.

I can remember watching TOH as a young kid and then NYW a few years later. My formative years were quite literally shaped (sawn, drilled, sanded, etc), at least in some way, by both of these shows!

Best of luck, Norm!

Denny Rice
10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I know Norm does not own the New Yankee Woodshop, but wouldn't be cool if Norm was to start teaching woodworking out the shop. How many of you would pay to take a class taught by Norm? I know I would. I really thought if Norm was even thinking of retiring that they would of brought another person in to take his place instead of just quit taping the show all together.

sean m. titmas
10-19-2009, 8:34 AM
I know Norm does not own the New Yankee Woodshop, but wouldn't be cool if Norm was to start teaching woodworking out the shop. How many of you would pay to take a class taught by Norm? I know I would. I really thought if Norm was even thinking of retiring that they would of brought another person in to take his place instead of just quit taping the show all together.

I respect norm and enjoy and appreciate watching his shows but i dont think i would want to take a class taught by him.

norm is irreplaceable, nobody could follow in his footsteps so the producers did the right thing and went out while the show was on top. adding another host would of slowly turned the show into a joke and ruined the memories we all have of the show.

Curt Harms
10-19-2009, 8:40 AM

Russell Morash (producer/director/owner of the building) isn't getting any younger, either. I think he's around 70 Y.O. I suspect they're both -Morash & Norm- winding down somewhat.

Mark Patoka
10-19-2009, 9:14 AM
Sorry to see Norm close up shop also but it's not unexpected. He basically taught me woodworking in my adult life as NYW started when I was in my early 20s. If my wife saw Norm using a tool (especially in the early days) it usually helped justify my purchasing it. Made quite a few Norm inspired projects.

I see that Rockler is sponsoring a meet Norm weekend with a tour of the NYW to be awarded in Dec 09. Apparently the shop won't be dismantled yet and I wonder if there are plans to open it to tours or as a school?

I wonder if the Smithsonian would get involved? Julia Child donated her kitchen and it's now on display here in DC.

Ben Hatcher
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I wonder if NYW lost a sponsor. Wood magazine did a piece on Norm a few months back. He said that the show basically hinged on Delta (especially), Home Depot, GMC, and Lumber Liquidators sponsorship money. If one or more of them pulled out that could be the reason for the show ending...and for it airing reruns last year.

In response to an earlier poster, he also said in that piece that the tools he used were ones that he liked. He claims that he wasn't paid by any sponsor to use their stuff.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Soooooooooo......................

Check out this thread! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=122774

Randall Clark
10-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I know some of the professional "wood stylists" out there were very critical of Norm, but I don't think I would have ever developed my hobby of woodworking had Norm not made it look easy (it wasn't easy; but he made it look easy). I appreciate the New Yankee Workshop program. I don't want to start any rumors, but Norm seems to be losing weight; maybe he's under doctor's orders.
He will be greatly missed by this wood hacker. It was hands down my favorite time in front of the tv.

Francis Robinson
10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't want anyone to take what I say wrong, I have been a Norm fan for a very long time.
I have been making an observation in the last year that I have discussed with my wife several times... I personally have a minor problem with "tremors" in one hand at times especially under stress. It might be due to my being a lot closer to 70 than 20 years old. :) You learn to work around it and one of the ways is to grasp items you are working with more quickly and firmly in order to stabilize your hand. For about the last year I have been observing signs that I see as tremors as Norm works. It is often just a couple of small shakes as he reaches to take hold of an item then it is gone as he grips the item. It can be very unimportant or it can be as bad as early Parkinson's. I really have no idea but recognize the tremor from dealing with it myself a little. The extreme closeup camera work he does makes hiding it pretty hard. It may well have absolutely nothing to do with his quitting. I do understand that he will continue with TOH.
My curiosity is killing me wanting to know if anyone else has made the same observations?
-
I am truly going to miss the New Yankee Workshop...:(

Jerome Hanby
10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I think it would be cool if PBS continues to re-run the show in the same time slot or even put DVD box sets together by seasons for people who need their weekly fix of Norm!

Amen to the box sets. I'd pay up to $50 per season. I paid $20 a season for each of the first 6 Router Workshop seasons and count them as cheap!

John Callahan
10-19-2009, 3:27 PM
Francis .......... I've never noticed. Hope it isn't so. Some of my favorite tv time was spent with my late father watching Norm. We both had a laugh when Norm remarked one time, "there's a tool I don't have" ............ didn't happen often. The NYW was and is a great show. I'm sure it will live on long in reruns.

Bill Arnold
10-19-2009, 4:56 PM
I've noticed Norms hands shaking a little in recent years also and I've heard plenty of discussion about it on forums as well. Like Francis, I have had some shaking like he describes and do exactly as he says he does. It's more prevalent as I grow more tired and more "mature". :)

Someone suggested that NYW should have had Norm training a successor. That never would have worked. There is and forever will be only one Norm.

John Gregory
10-19-2009, 5:16 PM
IF PBS ever has another woodworking show, It will have to be another name and shop. NYW and that shop is forever associated with Norm.

Seems to me that woodworking shows have not been important to television, public or commerical. They seem to be disappearing all of the time.
I have been watching WoodSmithShop on PBS, but it is more tips and tricks, pretty basic at that, than building projects. I just feel very fortunate to have had WoodWorks and NYW broadcasted during my early shop years.

Fred Voorhees
10-19-2009, 8:53 PM
On another forum that I frequent, a fellow poster just recently did this mock up. Yeah, that's me in the bib.

Denny Rice
10-19-2009, 9:08 PM
I know some of the professional "wood stylists" out there were very critical of Norm, but I don't think I would have ever developed my hobby of woodworking had Norm not made it look easy (it wasn't easy; but he made it look easy). I appreciate the New Yankee Workshop program. I don't want to start any rumors, but Norm seems to be losing weight; maybe he's under doctor's orders.
He will be greatly missed by this wood hacker. It was hands down my favorite time in front of the tv.

I am glad I am not the only guy that notices this from time to time when it comes to the way Norm approaches a project, and the Gods of SMC want to jump out of their skin in disbelief that Norm done that! I believe what Norm done was his own style, like it or not and millions enjoyed it so how wrong could it be.

John Daake
10-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Norm hanging up the grind of weekly TV after 21 years is understandable and I wish him well. Does anyone have any info as to whether economics, viewership decline, or dim prospects of being able to find another Norm are playing a role in the disappearance of the Workshop itself? With Norm having made it into an icon, and a whole other generation of aspiring woodworkers out there to be taught, it would seem like the institution of The NYW could continue.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2009, 10:58 PM
A Russell Morashe (sp?) (shows producer) interview on a blog claims that they decided it wouldn't be fair to anyone to replace Norm. Morashe's shop where the show is filmed will be used by him for some personal projects. He suggested in the future the shop should be contributed to the Smithsonian for public viewing as was Julia Childs PBS kitchen.