PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog you got?

Scott Hildenbrand
10-16-2009, 4:37 PM
I've got four currently.. Two Basset Hounds, a Terrier mix and a Black Lab/Shar Pei mix.

So what about you all?

David Christopher
10-16-2009, 4:39 PM
I dont have any dogs but I have 8 stray cats......WANT ONE or two or three or eight

Lee Schierer
10-16-2009, 4:48 PM
I have a Brittany that is about 3-1/2 years old. He's an excellent bird dog and really knows the pheasant hunting game.http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=112294&d=1236369799.

We also have a cat that plays with the Brittany.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2009, 4:49 PM
Mutt. Great dog though.

jerry nazard
10-16-2009, 4:51 PM
My name is Mr. Banjo, and I am a 3 year old border collie/springer spaniel mix. I like taking long walks and romping with other dogs. I hate the noises associated with woodworking so I never go into the shop. Woof!

Eric DeSilva
10-16-2009, 5:01 PM
+1 for mutts. This is Coco, part Rottie, probably part Boxer... Followed us home from the Washington Humane Society...

Jim Rimmer
10-16-2009, 5:08 PM
I have a "rescue" dog. Her name is Tippy (white tip on her tail) and machine noises don't bother her so I guess she is my bench dog. The kids in the neighborhood think she is a giant chihuahua. A little bit of everything, I think.

Tim Morton
10-16-2009, 5:09 PM
a golden retriever and a yellow lab....both great dogs.

Glenn Clabo
10-16-2009, 5:49 PM
Our lab Chessie...with an ocean breeze blowing through her ears...

Scott Hildenbrand
10-16-2009, 5:50 PM
Hurm.. Now I need to toss up pics of mine..

Sadie Grace - My Terrier mix
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v339/13/13/1460724611/n1460724611_30040780_9676.jpg

Stormy Weather - Lab, Shar Pei mix.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs010.snc1/2628_1088606822979_1460724611_30234463_4076143_n.j pg

Hmm.. Can't find pics of the other two, but they're Baxter Jaxsum and Christy, both rescued Basset Hounds. The others were death row mutts.

Mike Henderson
10-16-2009, 6:10 PM
I have Bernie, shown in my avatar.

Mike

mickey cassiba

130293A rescue pup. 8 years old and rules the roost,

RickT Harding
Wanted a rotty, 3yrs of negotiating with the wife I caved and got a lab. She's been a GREAT dog.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8YQqLnYnmJ8/SlTJ1z-eC7I/AAAAAAAAnPk/tv5USRzkqKU/s400/IMG_2202.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8YQqLnYnmJ8/SlTJpWKZsXI/AAAAAAAAnNw/M6QLf83NY7s/s400/IMG_2182.JPG

Paul Ryan
10-16-2009, 6:45 PM
A yellow lab. He is turning 5 on Mon. This picture is a year old. Best hunting dog I have every hunted with. He equals the professional dogs at the local gun club. But he is a jack a## sometimes. You cant turn the instincts off. And it is a pain at home sometimes. Because he hunts everything. How do you tell a bird dog pheasants, ducks, and geese good. Chickens BAD! We don't have chickens but the neighbors do. They have been understanding and we haven't had trouble for a couple of years but there was a time. And a family dog, he is the best. Lets the boy do anything to him. They play like best friends. I have seen the dog draging the kid across the floor, the dog had the end of one toy the boy the other end. I am really amazed how dogs just know how hard they can play with kids. He is real gental with kids, but when he and I play usually someone ends up bleeding. Great Dog.

Steve Southwood
10-16-2009, 7:10 PM
Basset hounds and Beagles. Best of the best, I think.

sean m. titmas
10-16-2009, 7:20 PM
the red nose pit and the brown and white pit are my neighbors dogs, Mo 14 and Kayla 4 respectively. The black pit is Boo 2 and she is my baby girl. i fenced in both our back yards so that the dogs can run and play together no matter who is at home. all the dogs are rescued from the pound and between me, anthony and our friend Robert we have been adopting death row pit bulls from the pound for about the last 4 or 5 years. we adopt them, get their shots and spay/neuter them and than keep them at our compound until they have gotten over the trauma of being abandoned. after a few months we find a good family who would be a good match for the dog and give them away. over 100 dogs to date. after a follow up visit a month later to see if the dog is happy with the new family we will sign over the papers and say good bye to the doggie. Pit Bulls get a bad reptuation because so many people abuse their loyal and protective quality's that the dogs have and make them into mean guard dogs. my dog, Boo, is a beautiful dog with a great personality and is very loyal. She knows my schedule and waits for me at the door in the afternoon each day after work.

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2009, 7:23 PM
Hello,
Two rescue creatures.
One's part Husky, the other is part Lab.

Wife rescued them from "death row" on the day before they were scheduled to go.

I'd consented to one dog, but, as my wife put it to me, "You decide which one goes back to death row".:rolleyes:
Like that's even a choice, LOL!

Doug Shepard
10-16-2009, 7:28 PM
China is a pound rescue. Equal parts Australian Shepherd, Chow, and Fat Dog. She's a pretty mellow girl but does like to play with the neighbor dogs, and take regular walks where she's a big hit with the neighborhood kids. She's pretty content to lay and wait while I'm working in the shop unless I fire up the brad nailer which she hates. I think it reminds her too much of fireworks which she also hates. She's best buds with one of my cats, and thinks the other cat is a play toy.

John O'Brien
10-16-2009, 7:28 PM
2 female German Shepherds, Misty and Heidi.

Scott Donley
10-16-2009, 7:57 PM
A Golden, My friend
Pic was 7 years ago

Andy Haney
10-16-2009, 8:33 PM
Bernese Mountain Dog. He is my wife's dog, but I believe he "has us"!

Andy

Mark Hix
10-16-2009, 8:43 PM
They don't come better than this. Lucy is 1/2 australian shephard, 1/2 mastiff. She looks like an AS on steroids--pretty big. Smart, strong, tried to herd the kids/spouse when she was younger. 16 years old now. Still looks out the window every day for me to come home. She helps me make my lunch every morning. I taught her voice and hand signals when she was younger, she no longer hears very well but still minds the hand signals. I'm gonna miss her when she goes.

William Hutchinson
10-16-2009, 8:48 PM
This Bailey a Russian Wolfhound (Borzoi) and Whippet mix. I've had her for about ten years.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Bailey/Baileyonsidewalk.jpg

David Bridgeman
10-16-2009, 8:59 PM

We thought he was a Maltese, but apparently he is a bit too big at 10 lbs. We think he may be a Havanese.

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2009, 9:06 PM
Pit/Lab mix. He was the runt of the litter and his mother slept on him one night at about two weeks old. Next morning he was breathing about every once every minute.

The owners were going to let him die. I took him nursed him back to life. What a terrific sweet little guy he is. He is 10 months old now and I think he suffered brain damage with the lack of oxygen. He forgets stuff, but he is a terrific guard dog and takes the job VERY seriously.

It has taken a lot of slow and steady patience to get hm to where he is now, but I could not have asked for a better dog.

I better stop here otherwise I will ramble for 20 pages.

Bruce Page
10-16-2009, 9:10 PM
A couple of ~18 month old rescue labs Ella & Kodi that we got this year. They play almost non stop – to the point that I often have to settle them down.

Casey Gooding
10-16-2009, 9:18 PM
Currently have a Standard Poodle and a Weimaraner. I have never had a dog as good as my Great Dane, who passed away two and a half years ago, however

Jim O'Dell
10-16-2009, 9:46 PM
We are down to 2 Irish Setters that are our own. Taz on the left (full name Coolmeadow's Twist and Shout) will be 9 at Christmas. Tainey on the right (Taineron's Tango at Coolmeadow) was 5 last month. 130315 (Picture is from last December for our Christmas card.)
But there are always several foster IS in the house. That adds 4 to the count at the moment, for a total of 6. We'll be up one tomorrow as a friend is coming to visit with her Irish. There are another 6 Irish in our program at other foster homes. But we seem to get the biggest quantity of them here.
Kudos to those of you rescuing your dogs from certain death. And double to you Sean for the work you're doing with the Pits. It's heartbreaking at times, but the rewards make up for the down times. Jim.

jerry nazard
10-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Pit/Lab mix. He was the runt of the litter and his mother slept on him one night at about two weeks old. Next morning he was breathing about every once every minute.

The owners were going to let him die. I took him nursed him back to life. What a terrific sweet little guy he is. He is 10 months old now and I think he suffered brain damage with the lack of oxygen. He forgets stuff, but he is a terrific guard dog and takes the job VERY seriously.

It has taken a lot of slow and steady patience to get hm to where he is now, but I could not have asked for a better dog.

I better stop here otherwise I will ramble for 20 pages.

Bravo!! People like you, that take a chance adopting a questionable pet (or child, for that matter), make such a difference - and help make this world such a better place. Thank you!

-Jerry

Mike Cutler
10-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I have 2 Vizsla's. Upwind Tika, and Upwind Gunnr. I have a barn full of quail too! and no time to train the dogs.:(

Brett Robson
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I have an Entlebucher. "A what?" is the next thing people usually say! The breed's one of the Swiss Mountain Dogs, along with a Bernese and a couple other breeds nobody's heard of! He's a great dog, very smart, loyal and obedient.

Jim McFarland
10-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Boxer "Bo" is my ever present shop helper. Lays by the door when I'm working and puts his head in my lap when I sit -- yes, he gets a treat whenever he wants!

Matt Stiegler
10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
From the pound. Got her about 5 years ago, when she was around 2.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
We've got 2 rescue dogs; a rat terrier and a black lab/plott hound mix. We got the little ball of energy, the terrier that is, about 7 months before the lab. When we lost our English Setter we knew we wanted another dog, but a totally different type--terrier fits the bill. We then lost our chow/shepard mix and went for the lab. They both came from the same rescue; in fact they were together for a little over a year before we got them. It is unbelievable how well they get along; they are truly best friends.

Leigh Betsch
10-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Two Drahts. Most excellent hunting dogs and pheasant hunting season opens tomorrow!!!
And by the way a skunk tried to get in the kennel with Rosie last night. Not a good thing to try with a Draht. Rosie killed it, ate the head and legs off from it. She is such a sweet dog!
Attached pic of my male Drahthaar, Akin.

Jacob Mac
10-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I have 2 Belgian Sheep Dogs. They are bright, energetic, and very neurotic. It takes a very gentle and consistent approach with these dogs. I am not a big fan, but my wife loves them, and I love her, so...

Clay Crocker
10-17-2009, 9:03 AM
Our dog Daysha, product of the local pound, and her nemesis, Sylvia, a.k.a. "The Cat".

Mike Sheppard
10-17-2009, 9:33 AM
Westies
We have 4 and they are great fun to have, live in the house or should say (take over the house). Sunny shows them, people ask me why I don't but my job is transportation, security, and turds.
Mike

http://www.homerunwesties.com/default.html

Jim King
10-17-2009, 9:52 AM
We have about 60 , they come without hair, with mange and worms and whatever but in 3 months they look like new. My wife was going to have a rescue center for street dogs but instead we have a adoption center. Once she gives one a name it never leaves again.

Here is an example , Toby has been with us 6 or 7 years and is doing well.

The next are Leal before and after and the next is Zarina stealing a box of Dunkin Donuts. We heard she was brought to town to be in dog fights but she just rolled on her back.

The last is Mancha a Great Dane giving a freind a kiss.

Dave Johnson29
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Bravo!! People like you, that take a chance adopting a questionable pet

Thanks for that Jerry. It was a tough program and on a few of occasions I actually thought about letting him die. But I am glad I didn't. He put up such a fight to live I felt he deserved the chance. I think he may have a collapsed or damaged lung as he breathes funny and gets puffed out quickly.

It does not stop him from chasing rabbits and doing all the things an adolescent dog does. He makes me laugh at least once every hour with his antics.

Dar Lounsbury
10-17-2009, 1:42 PM
Two rottweilers. Really nice dogs. Breed has a bum rap about being mean. About 120 lbs each.

Dar

Shawn Pixley
10-17-2009, 2:12 PM
Black Lab mix. He is a rescue dog found as a puppy on Huenme Road. Grew to 100 lbs of friendly muscle.

Rory Talkington
10-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Our two vicious attack pugs...Fred and Ethel.

Don Kondra
10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
This is my buddy Max, his mom was a rottie and his dad was the uninvited neighbors shepherd :)

Only male in the litter... that explains the ear. Here he is hiding from the big black thing.

Cheers, Don

Eric DeSilva
10-18-2009, 1:08 PM
Stormy Weather - Lab, Shar Pei mix.

Never seen a lab/shar pei mix, interesting. Looks like stormy has a deep voice.

Funniest mix I ever saw was at the vet when a woman brought in this little black dog. The thing was tiny, but totally had the big dog alpha attitude, so I had to ask. Turns out it was a Pekinese/Bernese Mountain Dog mix. Not really sure how that happened... I'd guess there is a Bernese out there who is still mystified as to how she got pregnant, and a Pekinese tellin' all his friends "you'll never guess what I pulled off..."

Rob Wright
10-19-2009, 3:06 PM
11 year old Yellow Lab - "Bill"
Even though I did my best to screw him up - he sure turned out to be a great "first" dog. Strong hunting desire and a lover at home. Started to just slow down this year - looking to get him a new friend - probably Wire Haired Pointing Griffon or a Drahthaar since I am grouse/woodcock and pheasant hunting a lot more than when I first got him with when I only duck and goose hunted.

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2009, 4:11 PM
Two rottweilers. Really nice dogs. Breed has a bum rap about being mean.

I have to agree Dar, Neighbor had 120lb Male and he was the sweetest thing. Sadly gone now, died peacefully of old age. A very determined watch dog right up to the last breath, but if he met you just once, you were friends for life.

That was sometimes not a good thing as he could store about a quart of spit in his jowls. :D:D I still have a big old "Bruno" nose splooge on one lounge room window to remember him by.

Marc Schmitz
10-19-2009, 4:19 PM
So what about you all?

only 3 dogs now, with their 2 former playmate/adversary cat friends.
One's a King Charles Cavalier, the other two rescued cavalier/cocker mixes. Also known as the Love Sponge breed.

Michael Poller
10-19-2009, 4:46 PM
Pics are from about 6 months old. Pure Black Lab.

She's just over 1 year 1 month old and is the greatest dog (aren't they all! :) )

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-19-2009, 8:44 PM
I had Horses. no dog.

Shannon Kruse
10-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Spaz, almost two year old Chow mix. Best dog in the world, and very loyal.

James Jaragosky
10-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Spaz, almost two year old Chow mix. Best dog in the world, and very loyal.
My wife and I have rescued three, 1 from the pound, 1 from a neglectful owner, and 1 from my In-laws estate when they passed away. All are mixed breeds, and we love them all. My wife spoils them rotten.

phil harold
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
muttley, my son
got him from the pound when he was 4
great dog
I buy him 12 packs of tennis balls

Denny Rice
10-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Here's the pitiful puppy I ended up with on December 24th about 4 years ago. She is a full grown in this pic, but 4 yrs ago she was about 10 inchs long and could fit in my hand. My wife works in our local hospital and I got a phone call about 4:00 that afternoon she needed to see me. I went, and found her with this pup in her arms saying, "Daddy, I need a home." I tried for an hour to tell her no, then the pup licked my face and I was done: enough said.

Christopher Fletcher
10-20-2009, 2:09 AM
Sully (left) and Remy (right), two and five years old...both rescues and my 3rd and 4th boxers. The best dogs I've ever had in my life.

Jim Sears
10-20-2009, 6:39 AM
This was my best friend, Ollie. He passed away a few months ago. He was the best.
I still have a brindle Boxer named JoJo.

Mike Langford
10-20-2009, 8:56 PM
(from L to R) Bennie - Bear - Heidi (the momma and two sons!)
(Chow Mix)

Cary Falk
10-21-2009, 4:39 AM
belgian malinois
belgian tervuren
portuguese water dog

Geoffrey Smith
10-21-2009, 6:44 AM
I've got a Newfoundland who just turned one. She weights a little over 100 lbs. Super smart and slightly goofy.

That is her in my avatar picture, at about four months old, enjoying her first snow. :)