PDA

View Full Version : The best kids parachute....

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 1:07 PM
Yea....I've been working with the LOML today while schooling our 4 kids. :) :cool:

I'm looking for some very good ideas on parachute design and making with materials around the house. I'm talking about a 2 to 3 foot parachute. I used to have an old surplus cargo parachute (65 feet in diameter) that I used to play with about 100 years ago. :eek: :rolleyes: I don't know what my parents ever did with that....but in March every year....I would be in the field next to the house and letting the March winds drag me around the field. :D

I think I have some ripstop nylon I bought a long while back when I was into aerobatic and large scale kit making and flying. But....let's start with Wal Mart bags or large Trash Bags until we get a good design.

All tips, pointers and suggestions are welcomed. I may even want to make a 4 Foot parachute. ;) :D

Rich Konopka
09-23-2004, 1:47 PM
Dennis:

My kids have one of these parachutes for games. I know you are looking for the other type but couldn't it be used for that purpose? When your done the kids will have something to play with.

http://www.shapeupshop.com/games/parachutes.html

Dan Gill
09-23-2004, 3:30 PM
We always used a bed sheet (when Mom wasn't looking). I can stll remember jumping off of a friend's garage. No broken bones. That day.

Steve Jenkins
09-23-2004, 4:09 PM
Dennis, son't forget to put some vent holes in it. To work well those are probably the thing to mess with the most. size and spacing. Steve

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 4:32 PM
We always used a bed sheet (when Mom wasn't looking). I can stll remember jumping off of a friend's garage. No broken bones. That day.

Yea, I've already had "that look" from the LOML about using a bed sheet.! :eek: :D

Paul Downes
09-24-2004, 5:20 PM
Who needs one. You could just do as Nikola Tesla did when he was a boy. Went up on the roof and hyperventilated until he got 'light headed' and then jumped off flapping his arms. "He was always such a bright boy"...........The inventor of the ac motor and a whole lot of other electrical devices. :D

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 5:39 PM
Tesla, eh? :) A big prize to the first who can tell me where this statue is located! :D

Rick Knecht
09-24-2004, 5:57 PM
Since that is not the one in Niagra falls, it must be the one in Belgrade, Siberia.
(but that's just a guess)
Rick

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 7:13 PM
Rick, you are so close but look at the state name you chose! :)

Rick Knecht
09-25-2004, 3:08 PM
Siberia, Serbia. Both so far away and both are not Niagra Falls. Correction noted. (I hate having spelling software overrise what I'm typing, or was that just a mistype on my part...)
So what Big prize do I win???