PDA

View Full Version : Looking for matboard like material

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2009, 1:44 PM
I have a request to make some items out of a material that looks just like matboard. It's about that thick, white on the outside face and inside. However, there is a tight budget on the entire project (this is only one piece of a 4 piece item), and it appears the price of matboard is way outside the price range.

So I've been asked to see if could identify any material that's matboard thickness that's very inexpensive, but will cut with the laser good.

I've not looking into that world, so I'm not familiar with any of the materials.

Anyone got any ideas? Or maybe super cheap sources?

David Fairfield
10-16-2009, 1:59 PM
cardboard or chipboard will work. Spray paint it matte white, after cutting. That cheap stuff puts off a lotta smoke

Jim Good
10-16-2009, 2:07 PM
What size of matboard do you need? How many pieces? I have some matboard I got off Craig's list. I can see if I have anything that would serve your purpose.

Jim

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2009, 2:29 PM
Thanks David, not looking to paint anything though. Just want a product we can buy, cut, ship, get paid.

I'm not sure of the quantity, but the size is about 14" tall x 12" wide. I know it's two in each product. Those both have cutouts for photos. It's like a presentation folder. It'll have a nice printed outside cover, printed on a heavy bond paper, then on the inside, it'll have one piece on the left, one on the right. One big rectangle cutout on the left, 2 smaller on the right. I imagine 1 is for a certificate and one is for 2 photographs from what it looked like.

I'm not sure if it's 10 of them or 100 of them, or even 1000 of them, but if I had to guess, I'd guess between 10 and 100.

Dee Gallo
10-16-2009, 3:12 PM
I have a request to make some items out of a material that looks just like matboard. It's about that thick, white on the outside face and inside. However, there is a tight budget on the entire project (this is only one piece of a 4 piece item), and it appears the price of matboard is way outside the price range.

So I've been asked to see if could identify any material that's matboard thickness that's very inexpensive, but will cut with the laser good.

I've not looking into that world, so I'm not familiar with any of the materials.

Anyone got any ideas? Or maybe super cheap sources?

Steve,

Try S&S worldwide (craft catalog company) - I buy their "shirt cardboard". It's cheap, thin but sturdy and has a nice coated white front surface. It cuts easily with no char. I don't know about the size, though - I usually get 8x14.

cheers, dee

Ruben Salcedo
10-16-2009, 3:53 PM
Try to find a Picture Frame supplier, there you should find the Matboard at much lower price, also they sale Backboard (material that goes in the back of a picture frame) which is a much cheaper price than Matboard and it is about the same thickness and also white.

Ruben

David Fairfield
10-18-2009, 9:11 AM
Did you find anything that fit the bill? I could use something similar.

Dave