PDA

View Full Version : MDF Columns - (Tubes)

Tony Bilello
10-16-2009, 1:36 PM
Many years ago I used to buy MDF columns and I forgot where. I think from Florida but wont swear to it. They looked and felt like cardboard but were MDF. They come in many diameters from about 6 " to 60" and about 10 to 12' long. They look like sonotubes but there is no seam.
I have looked and looked online and cant find them. Hopefully someone out there knows where I can get some.
Thanks in advance.

John Brennaman
10-16-2009, 3:30 PM
Tony,

Not sure why you want these collumns made from MDF. I know there is a company in Florida that will make you a collumn of just about any shape and size out of expandable polystyrene (foam). They are durable and used in outside construction all over Florida. I don't believe they are sturdy enough to support a structure. They can be used to wrap an existing support structure. The company is Imperial Foam in Ormond Beach, Florida.

Tony Bilello
10-16-2009, 7:37 PM
What I want them for is for table bases/columns that will be painted with faux finish acrylic, or laminated with veneer, or formica, or flexible mirrors.
I have in the past covered the column with flexible mirror sheets and black lacquered the tops and the round bases. Very elegant looking, quick and easy to make and high profit. They usually go in a home bar.
I know the above mentioned stuff will glue to the MDF but doubtful of the cardboard. The sonotubes used for concrete pouring are made of a spiral wrap and this telegraphs through the veneer and I never tried painting them. Some of this stuff I make sells for a good buck so I dont want to gamble.

Joe Kaufman
10-16-2009, 8:46 PM
Check Anderson International Trading and look at Table Bases. They are in Anaheim CA.

Joe

Tony Bilello
10-17-2009, 10:16 AM
THANKS

That is what I am looking for.