PDA

View Full Version : which oneway chuck?

Kevin J Lalonde
10-16-2009, 1:19 PM
So I bought the neighbors lathe and now need a new chuck. He took the Talon and Oneway that he had on it to put on the stubby. Of the 3 oneway, talon, stronghold which do i buy? It's the Nova Dvr 3000. I do plan on turning some large pieces and small ornaments so. Thanks again guys!!

Bob Hamilton
10-16-2009, 1:40 PM
Hi, Kevin:
I turn on a DVR and I would have to say that I think the Stronghold would be a bit overkill. I have both Oneway basic and Talon chucks and I can't see any reason why I would need a bigger chuck for anything that will fit on the lathe. The jaw sets are interchangeable between the basic and Talon, so it just becomes a question of whether you want a key operated chuck or a tommy bar operated chuck. Personally, I find a tommy bar chuck a bit more convenient to use, but I know I am in the minority on that one. :D

If you anticipate turning pieces of wood bigger than 12" it would be a good idea to get the #3 jaws for your chuck. They will grip a 4" diameter tenon so give a significantly better hold on large, heavy pieces than the standard #2 jaws.

Good Luck!
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2009, 1:43 PM
Kevin - I have the Talon with the #1, #2, #3 and mini-jumbo jaws. Great, high quality chuck and has been able to do everything I have asked of it.

Don Orr
10-16-2009, 1:49 PM
Bob is right on with his advice as is Steve. I have Talons and a Stronghold and they are both excellent. I have used the basic Oneway as well and it is as good as all the Oneways, just operates with tommy bars instead of a key. Not a problem for me as I started out with Nova chucks and tommy bars-still use them. Can't go wrong with Oneway.

Philip Morris
10-16-2009, 2:25 PM
Kevin,
I have a Stronghold and a Talon. I purchased the Stronghold with a Oneway 1640. Since I thought I might add the outboard extension on the 1640, I purchased the Stronghold.

I have since "downsized" to a Jet 1642. When I wanted to turn smaller stuff, I found the body of the Stronghold was a little big, so I purchased the Talon.

As others have said, the quality of the Oneway stuff is great. Recall some posts under the Deals and Discounts of them being on sale.

You should note, that the jaws of the Oneway and Talon chucks interchange with each other, but they will not fit the Stronghold. Also, I recall the Talon and Oneway chucks being able to accept the Nova (non-Titan) jaws, which adds even more flexibility.

David Walser
10-16-2009, 3:27 PM
Kevin,

Which size chuck to get depends more on what you'll be turning than on which lathe you have. When I first started turning, I was sure I'd spend most of my precious lathe time turning bowls - the larger the better. So, I got the 5.5" Vicmarc chuck body. It's a great chuck, but now I wish I'd gone with the smaller 3.5" chuck body. The reason, I find I'm spending most of my time turning smaller items and the larger chuck body gets in the way. For the type of turning I'm currently doing, the smaller chuck would be a better fit.

With your Nova DVR, you have the ability to turn large bowls and might benefit from a larger chuck such as the 4.5" Stronghold. However, if you spend most of your turning time with projects less than 12" in diameter, I suspect you'd find the smaller Oneway chuck bodies to be a better fit.

Good luck!

Ryan Baker
10-16-2009, 8:11 PM
I'd probably advise the Talon.

I don't remember whether the DVR has a spindle lock or not. If your lathe has a true spindle lock, like on a Vicmarc, the tommy bar chucks are a great choice. IMO, tommy bar chucks suck on a lathe without the lock ... like the lock on Jet/Powermatic that you have to hold in with one hand. But opinions vary. Still a good chuck to be sure. I like the smaller size of the tommy bar chucks, and the jaws adjust quickly.

The stronghold is also a great chuck if you are aiming on the bigger side, but it is probably overkill for anything you need on a DVR. I got my stronghold specifically for the big jobs ... and because it will take the bigger #4, #5, and #6 jaws.

I have one problem with Oneway chucks. I find it a design failure of epic proportions that the taperlock adapters don't have any sort of wrench flats or pin spanner holes. Using a stick in the jaws to wrench the chuck loose is idiotic, inconvenient, and no good at all for the jaws. (Using the chuck key is no better, and Oneway themselves say not to do that.) It's a stupid design. But otherwise, the Oneway chucks are good products.

Jeff Nicol
10-17-2009, 7:28 AM
If you look at most of the post everyone has more than one chuck. The reason for this is that if you do a lot of turning you will find out that you want a big chuch sometimes and a smaller on some times. By having more than one you don't have to change the jaws very often or ever if you always plan for a tenon or inset dovetail that one of the chucks fits. I am really bad as I have 4 chucks and that gives me lots of sizes to go to very quickly! I have a Stronghold with #2,#3 jaws, 2 PSI Barracudda's with all the jaws and an old Nova with tommy bars that has smooth jaws for when I don't want to marr the wood. I use them all and it makes it easy, but I am spoiled and that is that!!!

Good luck with having only one!

Jeff

alex carey
10-17-2009, 3:20 PM
Well, I have both the Talon and the Stronghold and like Jeff said there are times when I use both, I have the mustard and my turnings are usually a bit larger so normally I use the Stronghold, I think it really depends on what you plan on doing, if most of your work is smaller then the Talon should do fine especially if you have a few jaws but if you plan on doing bigger work especially big bowls then I think you need the stronghold. I think most people have told me the talon for bowls up to 12" and platters up to 16" and for the stronghold much much bigger for both.