PDA

View Full Version : Hey Chris Padilla!

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Chris,
Since everyone seems to be ganging up on you I will join the bandwagon too.
I have attached some pictures might have to do it in a couple of posts though, of what you are missing :p and while you are at it make an avatar please :) you choose the pic. If you want I can tease you with the MM machines I have too! ;)

Russell Svenningsen
09-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm speechless.

;)

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm leaving work now to head home.... :eek:

Will this work as an avatar?? I think it better-looking, frankly.... ;)

Michael Stafford
09-23-2004, 1:08 PM
You guys and your fine wood working machines. You make me soooo jealous. If I had your money I would have some money. Enjoy! Personally Paul doesn't need to hide behind a big red pig snout.... :p

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 1:49 PM
Chris,
I can't believe i did not think of that one! So here is some better looking pictures!

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 2:02 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch...my stomach is hurting...MiniMax heaven in your shop!! My goodness.

How long have you had the slider and shaper? How have they been working for you?

Do I also spy a phase converter in the shaper pic??? Sigh....

Rob Russell
09-23-2004, 2:15 PM
Do I also spy a phase converter in the shaper pic???

Chris,

It does look like a phase convertor to me. If it makes you feel any better, that installation violates the NEC, because you're supposed to keep the "working space" in front of the panel(s) clear. You're allowed a 6" intrusion into the space below the panel front. The point is that you can't stand "in front" of the panel and easily work on it without reaching over the phase convertor.

Feel better now? ;)

Paul,

Nice equipment!

Rob

Jon Olson
09-23-2004, 3:14 PM
WOW!!! Paul, what a collect of power tools!! Chris, three major gloats there to your one...

Jon

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 3:28 PM
Feel better now? ;)
Somehow, I don't feel any better! :p :rolleyes: ;) Thanks for trying, though!:D

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 3:37 PM
Yes it is a rotary phse converter from Kay. All the MM equipment is 3 phase. NEC governed prior to the three phase intro into the shop. As you can see I have slack in the conduit to move to the side. yes I am also aware of the NEC 3'-0" rule but believe me if you think this violates code you have not see some other pro shops. Guys remember I do this for a living now and have invested a lot of $'s in order to speed my production without scraficing quality. By the way our recent post about sliding panel saws.... look at the picture again. I was at that time crosscutiing long stock (90 degrees) and mitering 45 degress while also ripping without any change in setup! and sheet goods, forgetta boutit!

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 3:54 PM
You are still The Architect, Paul, so no worries! :D Here you go, I made you 2 avatars...you get to pick!

Once again, fabulous equipment in your shop...let's see some product!! :D

Mike Palmer
09-23-2004, 3:56 PM
Paul, how does the panel saw work for ripping hardwood. I would love a saw that could handle big panels and work well with soilds. It seems, the long section to the left of the blade would be where I would want to stand when ripping. I am curious if this is your only saw or if you have another one that you use for solid wood. Thanks

Rob Russell
09-23-2004, 4:38 PM
... but believe me if you think this violates code you have not see some other pro shops. ...

I can believe that. :)

Somehow I don't think a minor dig is going to help Chris get over the pix for a little while.

Dave Right
09-23-2004, 4:43 PM
What nice toys er ah tools!

Christian Aufreiter
09-23-2004, 4:55 PM
Wonderful machines and a great pics!
Thanks, Paul.
Have you never posted a shop tour or did I miss it?

Regards,

Christian

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 6:58 PM
Mike,
The sliding saw is dead on accurate for any function it does. It does require some setup, I have found that these industrial machines are made with the intent that the end user can and will make all the final tweeks required. That is not to say it was off just that to be scary accurate you need to take your time. Once setup they are amazing. Ripping is a breeze. I thought my Unisaw and Biesemeyer were accurate, but this saw is above a beyond that. I first thought by standing on the left that it would be awkward but, it has turned out to be easy to rip and allows you to have your hands (both) on the right side of the blade for perfect control. You can even rip with the slider. The saw itself is so smooth. I can get paper thin pieces off of it like a bandsaw. Offcuts can even sit next to the blade, while the machine runs and will not move. I have made the evolutionary moves from contractor saw to cabinet saw and now to this. This saw is not even close to the "next step" it is leaps and bounds above anything else. I say this because I was so hesitant in giving up my ole tried and true for these European machines. In the end I am so glad I did.

Chris,
I got the shaper in May and the J/P & saw in July

Kelly C. Hanna
09-23-2004, 7:49 PM
Now that's a shop!! Mini Max showroom or shop????

Chris, I really like your new avatar! I vote on the one with the 'earphones' for you Paul, it's perfect.

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 7:52 PM
Paul,

I'm curious: I see you've decided to have separate machines for your table saw (slider) and for your shaper but decided to combine the jointer and planer. Why did you go this route? As you know, MM makes a slider/shaper combo.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 8:13 PM
Great pics, Paul! And I'm particularly happy to see the one of the FS41 Smart...and the Euro style guard on it. I've been trying to get one for my FS350 and your picture proves they are available.

"My version" of your avitar is attached.

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 8:16 PM
As you know, MM makes a slider/shaper combo.
ST3 is on my hit list for sometime in the future. But for a pro shop, the separate shaper may be a little easier as the changeover from saw to shaper is a little more cumbersome than the J/P changeover due to the fences, etc. IMHO, of course.

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 8:17 PM
I see you did the "Hollywood" to Paul's avatar, too! Hrmph! :mad:

;)

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 8:17 PM
Chris,
My first purchase was the shaper, as I needed it desparately for, duh shaping, but also for tenoning. It has a sliding table along with an outrigger arm, support table and fence. This allows me to easily do long tenons and the stick portion for cope and stick. So it was actually an "accident" to have the saw and shaper separate but, now that I have them in use.... It is a blessing to have them that way. I always seem to need to do a stick portion or tenon on a very small piece. The two machines being separate allows me to be a production shop where I am shaping a long piece then cut it to length. If they were in the same machine you are force to do one function then the other. The J/P actually works quite nicely together, never really had a problem so far. Since the planer has a numeric read out it is easy as pie to return to some previous setting. Funny thing is now that I am using these machnies in ways I never thought of ie: I rough rip on the bandsaw (after face & edge joining) and the final sizing of parts are now done on the planer. It is like having a power feeder on your table saw!

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 8:20 PM
How do I save to my computer all these great avatars???? I think I want to be like Steve and change my avatar every couple of days!!:D I love the one of the doctor from the CannonBall Run!

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 8:21 PM
right click, save picture as...AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE IT IS SAVED OR CHANGE THE LOCATION!!! that is it! Did I say that loud enough? :D

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 8:22 PM
How do I save to my computer all these great avatars???? I think I want to be like Steve and change my avatar every couple of days!!:D I love the one of the doctor from the CannonBall Run!
Right click on the picture and then select "Save Picture As"

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 8:23 PM
:p slowpoke....:p

Paul B. Cresti
09-23-2004, 8:28 PM
Hey Chris,
How is that big box?????? :p

Frank Pellow
09-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Not only do you have some great equipment, but you seem to have sufficient room around that equipment to work safely and efficiently. Congratulations!

Tom LaRussa
09-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Chris,
Since everyone seems to be ganging up on you I will join the bandwagon too.
I have attached some pictures might have to do it in a couple of posts though, of what you are missing :p and while you are at it make an avatar please :) you choose the pic. If you want I can tease you with the MM machines I have too! ;)
Wow. Really nice hammer. ;)

Mike Palmer
09-24-2004, 11:43 AM
I first thought by standing on the left that it would be awkward but, it has turned out to be easy to rip and allows you to have your hands (both) on the right side of the blade for perfect control.

Paul, I am trying to visualize this process. If you're standing to the left of the large projection at the front of the saw, how do you keep both hands to the right of the saw blade. It would seem that you would be reaching. Am I missing something?

Paul B. Cresti
09-24-2004, 7:00 PM
Michael,
both the miter guage and support table (white tubular structure) cab come off or be slid anywhere along the aluminumsliding carriage. The outrigger support arm (it supports the support table from below) can be folded against the saw body. So if everything comes off you are left with a "T" shaped machine and If you stand at the front of the saw (they call the front where the controls are, it is the left side of the blade) you are only 11" away from the blade. When you rip in this fashion you are able to "reach" over the blade (with the guard on of course) and have one hand before the blade annd one after. You can also achieve this if you position the miter guage and outrigger in such a way that you stand between them.