PDA

View Full Version : RAS advice

daniel lane
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Disclaimer: Yes, I've searched the forums. Yes, I've read a lot about these.

There's an "older model" 14" Delta RAS available nearby for ~$400. I have a 12" Dewalt DCMS (DW716). Should I even be looking at this?

The workshop isn't set (back) up yet, since we moved into the house only a few months ago. However, when done, it will take up half a 3-car garage. (I say "half" but I mean 1 bay is permanently in use and the middle bay is where I would park, so I pull the truck out to roll equipment into the space to have a 2-bay workshop.) I'm thinking I might not have space for this, but at the same time...seems like a really good deal.

Thoughts?

TIA,

daniel

Rick Potter
10-16-2009, 1:09 PM
Hey Daniel,

I am not an expert, but I have had at least seven RAS. I finally settled on a DeWalt 7790 12" and have used it for 10 years.

An "older 14" saw sounds like it was used either in industry or at a school shop, and probably is a three phase motor. It is also a big mama. Unless you have three phase available, or have a need for it, it is not needed in a home shop. If I read your post right, you are just starting out. If so, I would suggest a 10 or 12" DeWalt. You can run a dado set on these and, unless you are doing LARGE lumber, they will handle everything you need.

Craigs list in my area has the 740/790, or the 7740/7790 available on a regular basis. Check out the 'old woodworking machines' website, look at peoples postings showing pics of their saws, and you will learn a lot.

Rick Potter

daniel lane
10-16-2009, 1:18 PM
An "older 14" saw sounds like it was used either in industry or at a school shop, and probably is a three phase motor. It is also a big mama. Unless you have three phase available, or have a need for it, it is not needed in a home shop. If I read your post right, you are just starting out. If so, I would suggest a 10 or 12" DeWalt. You can run a dado set on these and, unless you are doing LARGE lumber, they will handle everything you need.

It's listed as 110/220, so I assume that it's a single phase unit. I'm thinking I might call and see what it's been used for and just how old it is, I would confirm 1ph at that time.

However, you got me to thinking. A 10" or 12" would enable me to use the blades I have on hand, so maybe the 14" is not such a good idea. Darn it, why aren't these decisions ever cut-and-dry? :p

daniel