PDA

View Full Version : Bedrock "Round Top" and "Square Top" Discussion in Classifieds

Richard Niemiec
10-16-2009, 12:55 PM
For those who don't regularly visit the Classifieds, there's a great discussion about the finer points of difference among flat and round top Bedrocks going on down there, under "607 Round Top".

Sam Takeuchi
10-16-2009, 1:01 PM
I saw that, but honestly I don't think it's a good place for a discussion. I think OP would want that thread disappear though. But what's already there, may pique Bedrock curious minds.

David Gendron
10-16-2009, 1:21 PM
I agree with Sam! I think it's more a discussion on who is right about the price and what is that price. I will leave it at that so I don't start something here!

Jim Koepke
10-16-2009, 3:29 PM
My comment was to let the thread drop off the page and repost.

Pricing something is difficult at best. Why something sells on eBay for what it does is impossible to understand.

One method that works for me is to think about which is more desired, the money or the thing and at what point those lines cross. Where they cross is the price. That is why I do without many things and why many things in my possession are not sold. Many of the items could be sold at a profit, but then they would no longer be mine.

If a price is set too high, then the item will not sell. The lack of interest should give the seller a clue to this.

Just because an item sold on eBy for $10 or $250 does not mean a price has been set in stone.

Being a bottom fisher, I will always look for the low price. I have become pretty good at face tells that sellers watch. Just a slight curl of the lip can tell the seller, "gee, I like this thing, but my wife will have me sleeping with the dog if I pay that much." That was really driven home to me one time while carrying a handful of stuff to the cashier at a yard sale. I figured they would have to be talked down to $5. When asked how much, she said $1. The dumb struck look on my face must have been convincing though read wrong, because before I could say OK, she said, "Well how about fifty cents?"

Some folks are "got to catch this one" fishers and do not care about the price, they care about winning the prize. I have bid against a few of these on eBay and have actually communicated with them after the auction closed via email when that could be done on eBay.

As far as mentioning the price being high in someone else's classified thread, that may have been better handled with a PM. Though, someone saying it is a good deal doesn't seem quite right either. That is a hard call. I could see saying, "darn, wish I had waited, just bought one of those for $XXX," is one thing. Saying, "come on folks step right up and grab this deal," is another thing.

I sure know if I saw someone buying a Stanley/Bailey #1 for $5 at a yard sale, my heart would sink, but then I would have to remember the do onto others rule.

These are just a few of my random thoughts and are subject to change as soon as I hit the submit button.

Now if someone wants to have a thread about the different types of Bedrock planes or how they compare to the Bailey planes, maybe a new thread would be in order.

I have seen Bailey style planes on eBay listed as Bedrock and also seen Bedrock planes not properly attributed. One is where one can lose if not paying attention the other is where one may get a deal if everyone else misses and you do not mind the wrong lever cap.

jim

phil harold
10-16-2009, 9:48 PM
The sad/funny part of the thread was, It was the Contributor's first post

Was he thinking that he could sell it for a good price on SMC?

Or did he think he was offerin a 'deal' to creekers?

Richard Niemiec
10-16-2009, 10:35 PM
It never ceases to amaze me, a little bit of feather ruffling, but along with that some interesting discussion and information, and the original thread just disappears in a knee jerk......

Keith Outten
10-17-2009, 9:06 AM
I removed that thread.

Our Classified Forum isn't for full blown discussions and it surely isn't supposed to be used for name calling and disrespectful accusations.

It must be a planet alingment thing going on these last couple of days that has so many people upset over nothing :(

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 9:53 AM
Keith, I think your decision was well founded. There are multiple opportunities in the real world (vs. cyber world) to vent your frustrations, or to take up a cause.

Perhaps my view of SMC is in the minority, but I view this as a community of woodworkers, assembled for the pleasure and satisfaction of sharing information ABOUT WOODWORKING. We all have very defined opinions about a host of topics, and it is unlikely that anything said here, by anyone, would significantly change those opinions - so why take up a cause here?

If it is a legitimate issue on proper woodworking technique for a particular task, then it is certainly appropriate to post respectful disagreement. That is why the post occurred in the first place.

The Classified forum is for selling/buying items. It would seem that capitalism (even as defiled as it is these days) will take care of the situation.

With 45,000 members (or whatever it happens to be) it is probable that someone here will think any particular post is a "great deal" or a "horrible deal." But, those are just opinions and present no reason for someone to be attacked - or questioned for that matter. That is off topic, and it just isn't the appropriate forum.

I think Jim stated it very well. It can go too far. And, what is a good deal for one, may not be for another. I have paid way more for certain tools simply because they met my need and could not be obtained elsewhere at the time. On the other hand, I have seen some items I felt were overpriced sell nearly immediately. Each to their own.

When I have commented on a "For Sale" item, it has been a legitimate feeling on MY part, as to MY opinion on that offered item. Perhaps that is not needed, or may even be inappropriate. But, either way, it doesn't seem to be earth shattering and give rise to a reason to attack either the seller or the poster.

Jim Koepke
10-17-2009, 1:41 PM
I removed that thread.

Our Classified Forum isn't for full blown discussions and it surely isn't supposed to be used for name calling and disrespectful accusations.

It must be a planet alingment thing going on these last couple of days that has so many people upset over nothing :(

Keith,
I am with you and John on your decision. I hope you contacted the OP and let them know of your action.

jim

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 2:17 PM
And, I should add, I generally refrain from negative comment on anything on SMC. It seems my Mom was right - "if you can't say something nice about someone, say nothing at all!"

Please don't take that to mean that if I fail to comment, I think negatively!!:D It may just be that it isn't within my area of interest.

With very, very few exceptions, SMC is comprised of caring and talented folks - a great place to hang out! Significant effort and action by the moderators make that possible.

jerry nazard
10-17-2009, 4:37 PM

Keith,

I believe you called that one right on target. It all got started when some wizeguy shot a three ton rocket into the moon trying to create a nom de plume....:rolleyes:

Leigh Betsch
10-17-2009, 9:42 PM

here here, or is it hear hear, or hear here? Either way I agree

Matt Stiegler
10-17-2009, 9:49 PM
I removed that thread.

My apologies. I certainly contributed to it becoming a full blown discussion. (I hope I didn't contribute to the name calling or disrespectful accusations, but if that's how it came across I'm sorry to Mike and everyone.) John is right, I think I'll focus on woodworking instead of SMC etiquette henceforth.

David Gendron
10-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Well said Matt, I'll second that, making a not to keep my comments to my self regarding classified! I also appologize for the trouble I created by making the statement I wrote on that thread!!

Richard Niemiec
10-18-2009, 8:49 AM
Let's all have a group hug, eh?

Jim Koepke
10-18-2009, 2:40 PM
Let's all have a group hug, eh?

Wish that our arms were so long or our presence so close.

jim