PDA

View Full Version : Boiler/hot water heat help needed

Rob Cunningham
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I replaced the pressure relief on my boiler because it leaking. Now I have air in the system and can't seem bleed it out. !/2 of the second floor baseboards get warm while the other half are cold. I tried bleeding the zone but I think I might have drained too much out. I opened the feed water pressure/ fill valve while attempting to bleed off the air. Should I hear water going into the boiler when this is open? I did not. The pressure dropped as I bled zone, I thought it would maintain the pressure. I took a lot of water and air out. Is it possible I took too much water, or is it just air in the zone? Sorry for the rambling post. I'm not sure whether I should try again or just break down and call the oil service company. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

David G Baker
10-16-2009, 1:14 PM
If you have air in the system you must bleed it out so I suggest you go to the highest point in the system and flush the system until you get all of the air out. If that doesn't work for you then call in the pro.

Lee Schierer
10-16-2009, 1:25 PM
If your system has zones, you may need to turn up the thermostat to call for heat so the water can get to the zone while you are letting the air out.

jeremy levine
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
If your system has zones, you may need to turn up the thermostat to call for heat so the water can get to the zone while you are letting the air out. I was about to suggest this. Do you have bleeders on the radiator ( many don't). Also make sure the returns valves a closed before you attempt to bleed the lines ( sorry if you knew this. )

Rob Cunningham
10-19-2009, 1:07 PM
Everything seems to be working good now. Only one baseboard unit had a bleeder on it. I had to do most of the bleeding from the boiler while it was cold, letting water in while letting air out. A slow process. Thanks for the help.