PDA

View Full Version : Decent quality tap and die set?

Brian Kincaid
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality tap and die set. I'm not really a metal worker and I don't even know what brands are passable for this type of tool.

The only size I need at this time is 8-32, but I figured I would check out a set if the price is reasonable.

FWIW I am going to tap 4 to 6 holes in the base of my Makita circular saw.

Also, if there is a good tutorial on the tapping operation I'm all ears.

-Brian

mickey cassiba
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Brian, if it were me, I'd just buy the taps and dies required for the job at hand. Sets can be quite pricey, and you will end up with some that you will likely never use.
As to brands, I've used Greenlee, Irwin, and lots of others, all to the same end result. Stick with HSS tools, the carbon steel are attractive as far as price but pretty fragile.
Use a light cutting oil, or better a fluid made for tapping, unless you're doing cast iron. The experts say no lube with CI, but I do rub the tap down with bar soap. Learn to "feel" the tool working. When it feels like it's binding up, the flutes are clogged with chips...back of a turn or so, and let the chips drop through the hole, or if blind hole tapping, back all the way out and blow the hole out.
8-32 is a pretty small tap, so it wont take much to snap it off.
Other folks may talk about the advantages of two flute vs four flute, but it's pretty much personal preference. The two flute is a stronger tool(more metal) but a four flute produces smaller chips.

David Christopher
10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Brian, I bought the irwin set at HD and the have worked out pretty good

Brian Kincaid
10-16-2009, 11:49 AM
SMC is the best thing ever thanks to kind folks like you.

Thanks for the advice!

Brian

David G Baker
10-16-2009, 1:18 PM
I am still using the Craftsman set I purchased back in 1967. I take very good care of my taps and dies. I do have taps that I purchased at garage sales for any jobs that may be problematic and save my Craftsman for good stuff.
Irwin makes a fine set and is available in most hardware stores.

Jim O'Dell
10-16-2009, 4:32 PM
I bought the cheapest one I could find just to have one...no special reason. I got the HF unit on sale. All I can say is, "DON"T!!" :D It's ok to chase buggered threads with, but as far as cutting threads, it just doesn't....(oh well) cut it. Has worked fair in the Corian I used it on last, but in the grand scheme of things, that's pretty soft. It did ok on a CI hole. Jim.

Dave Lehnert
10-16-2009, 4:40 PM
I purchased a Craftsman set about 10 years ago. Just use it to tap a hole in a woodworking tool and such when needed. Has worked well for my needs.
I don't think I paid much over $35 for it.

Chuck Wintle
10-16-2009, 4:51 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality tap and die set. I'm not really a metal worker and I don't even know what brands are passable for this type of tool.

The only size I need at this time is 8-32, but I figured I would check out a set if the price is reasonable.

FWIW I am going to tap 4 to 6 holes in the base of my Makita circular saw.

Also, if there is a good tutorial on the tapping operation I'm all ears.

-Brian

If you only need one size then buy the best you can get...Butterfield, Cle-Line or Sandvik. the cheap ones made in china don't hold up when tapping harder materials.

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2009, 5:29 PM

The thing to look for is the material they are made from. Most sets are "Carbon steel" whatever that means. The best wearing and cutting will be High Speed Steel usually abbreviated to HSS. You have to be more careful with the smaller diameter HSS taps as they will break, but they will cut better and last longer.

I second the idea of getting what you need when you need it unless you have a machine shop. (don't ask <grin>) Try Graingers, Rutland, Washington Tool, Enco etc.