PDA

View Full Version : Pet Doors for Sliding Glass Installation

Andy Haney
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Has anyone purchased/installed a pet passage door that fits a sliding glass patio door? I've found a few on-line, and would like to know about good/bad experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

David E Keller
10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
We've had one for a few years... purchased from HD. Works pretty well but not able to lock the door with the dog door in place. Little bit of extra strip insulation needed to seal around the door. All in all, we're happy with the door

Lee Schierer
10-16-2009, 9:13 AM
I don't believe you can install such a pet door in a glass door. By law the glass has to be tempered and if you try to cut it it will shatter into a zillion little cubes.

I have helped my son install a pet door in a sliding screen door and it worked quite well.

Peter Stahl
10-16-2009, 1:26 PM
Actually several dog door sites that sell them. Search google for dog door. They also have them for screen doors. The glass door type are a add on section.

Jeff Bratt
10-16-2009, 8:52 PM
We've had one for a long time - works great. Get a screw-bolt lock (window lock) to attach to the main door if you want to secure it. I also made a wooden panel mounted in rails to cover the flap at night - we needed to keep the cats in and other critters out. Even had to fasten that down with a bungee cord, the skunks are determined little buggers. Just remember - don't close the screen door over the flap...

Andy Haney
10-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys. Checked on line, and found a nearby Petco with what the wife wanted in stock. Bought it last night, today is install. Doesn't look like too much, but thanks for the hints.

Isn't it amazing how little purchasing a puppy costs compared to keeping the wife happy about her dog?

Andy