PDA

View Full Version : Club Demo piece- Maple Vessel

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-15-2009, 9:45 PM
Here is a piece I turned for a Deep Hollowing Demo at my club. It was my 1st Club Demo.
It was a really ugly piece of maple it had a lot of blue stain and patchy dark stains. So I thought I'd paint it. It's just a hair under 12" tall about 5 1/2" dia. with a wall thickness of about 3/16" thick.
So what do ya think of it ?
Sorry about the poor pictures. I couldn't seem to get rid of the dark reflections on the peice.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Looks like it turned out pretty nice. Really nice form.

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Joe - really like the form on this! Amazing what some paint can do - no way to know this is wood, glass, ceramic or whatever with out you telling us. The mystery thing is kinda cool and could be very appealing to buyers.

So - how did you like doing a demo? I've done a couple and actually found that I liked it! Wasn't like being in speech class and trying to figure out what to say - just start turning and keep the folks informed of what you are doing. Don't know if anyone in the club got anything from my demos but I sure had fun!

Richard Madison
10-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Joe, IIRC 12" is scarcely "deep hollowing " for you, but is plenty deep for many of us, self included. Actually do not care for the form, but the paint job is terrific! Looks "metallic" or "candy" colored.

alex carey
10-16-2009, 3:37 AM
looks pretty dang good, like the colors, blue and black work nicely. Is the entire inside black?

Jeff Nicol
10-16-2009, 6:20 AM
Joe, I have been getting myself ready to try the same thing on a few things, but have not gotten to the end yet! I really love the colors of the piece and the shape reminds me of an old Greek Amphora vase. Kind of looks like a shiny new car on the showroom floor! What type of paints did you use?

Very nice job,

Jeff

Toney Robertson
10-16-2009, 6:40 AM
Joe,

Reminds me of an Egyptian canopic jar that I saw at the Tut exhibit.

With paint on wood, do you have to worry about the paint cracking as the wood moves?

Toney

Steve Mawson
10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Kind of looks like a piece of pottery to me as well. Quite nice actually. Don't know about the cracks if the wood moves, know paint does have some give to it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-16-2009, 1:48 PM
Joe - really like the form on this! Amazing what some paint can do - no way to know this is wood, glass, ceramic or whatever with out you telling us. The mystery thing is kinda cool and could be very appealing to buyers.

So - how did you like doing a demo? I've done a couple and actually found that I liked it! Wasn't like being in speech class and trying to figure out what to say - just start turning and keep the folks informed of what you are doing. Don't know if anyone in the club got anything from my demos but I sure had fun!
Ya it was kinda fun. Once I actually got started. Ya i'd have to say I enjoyed it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-16-2009, 1:52 PM
Joe, IIRC 12" is scarcely "deep hollowing " for you, but is plenty deep for many of us, self included. Actually do not care for the form, but the paint job is terrific! Looks "metallic" or "candy" colored.
Richard
As for the form It's not my favorite either. I left the top opening large for Demo purposes, so that it would be eaiser for a video camera to see what was going on inside as I hollowed it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-16-2009, 1:53 PM
looks pretty dang good, like the colors, blue and black work nicely. Is the entire inside black?
Thanks Alex
Yes I painted the whole inside black.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-16-2009, 7:03 PM
Joe,

Reminds me of an Egyptian canopic jar that I saw at the Tut exhibit.

With paint on wood, do you have to worry about the paint cracking as the wood moves?

Toney

I'm not worried about the paint cracking. I used a process I learned from a Professional Wood Turning Artist, friend of mine.:D He's used the same process for 10 plus years and has never had a problem with it.

Mike Minto
10-16-2009, 8:03 PM
i think it's quite nice - and the photography is just fine, imo. hate to say it, but it doesn't look like wood :D. nice work. mike