PDA

View Full Version : When is it worth it to have a saw reground?

Adam Woznicki
10-15-2009, 9:08 PM
I'm new to hand saws, in fact the only ones I have are hack saws.

A few weeks ago I passed on a couple of Keystone back saws at the flea market. Mainly because about a third of the teeth were smashed flat. Looked like someone was banging on the edge with a hammer.

When is it worth it to have a saw reground, and how much does it cost?

I'd be happy to learn how to sharpen a heavily worn blade, but filing it down and starting from nothing is beyond my level of patience.

Is a Keystone worth it, or maybe only a good Disston?

Brian Kent
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Apparently Keystone Saw Works was owned by Thomas Disston:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/key1935.html

I am looking for a website that had a re-grinding service at a reasonable cost. Although I have sharpened a couple of saws, I was thinking of sending them a cross cut saw and and having it re-ground as a rip cut. I'll post it if I find it again.

Brian

I just found it:

http://www.medalliontools.com/HandsawSharpeningService.html

James Davis
10-15-2009, 11:50 PM
This guy comes highly recomended, and his prices are right.

http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_bfda54f2/wp_bfda54f2.html

James

Jim Koepke
10-16-2009, 1:37 AM
Just recently put new teeth on a saw. It was jointed down to smooth metal. The norsewoodsmith.com has guides to aid in the filing of new teeth. Do an on site search for > backsaw <.
Putting new teeth on a saw is not as hard as it may seem.

There is a .pdf to download that has all the information. Not sure if the links to files with the lines to lay out the teeth are also in the downloadable file, but there are links on the site.

jim

Matt Ranum
10-16-2009, 9:29 AM
I would think too that you could just joint the blade and cut new teeth by hand. But, if you don't want to tackle that, you could look at this guy too.

http://www.technoprimitives.com/saw_sharpening__restoration_services He's in LaCrosse Wis.

The link that James posted is Daren Nelson and he's a mod over at the "woodworking talk" forum. I know he used too, probably still does, have a machine that cuts new teeth on a saw in fact I think he had a video on youtube if I remember right.

george wilson
10-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I just missed out on a Foley saw tooth punching machine on Ebay for less than $40.00. It did not include the blade holders or brackets with the tooth spaces,though. We used a little Burro toother for years in the toolmaker's shop.

John Powers
10-16-2009, 2:13 PM
If there otherwise solid personally I'd send them out. I've come to realize that there are certain skills I just don't have the time or patience to master. I need to find a saw guy who needs some nice trout flies...I can tie some nice fishcatchers but filing teeth is not in my future. Steve Cook in York Pa shapens real good to.

Adam Woznicki
10-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the links guys. That norsewoodsmith.com site is great, having the tooth guides makes me more confident.

I'll try it by hand, and see how hard it really is before sending it out.(once I actually buy one)

Adam

Julian Nicks
10-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Adam, I researched all over the internet as you are doing, then set out to file new teeth on an old Disston backsaw. Well, it worked and now I am the proud USER of an early 1900's backsaw that cuts very well. It's tedious, but doable.

derek sikes
10-17-2009, 5:07 PM
I'm also attempting to file new teeth for an old Disston back saw I picked up on eBay using the Norse Tools pdf method. I just jointed the teeth last night, they were in bad shape. Good luck with yours, post some pics if you decide to go DIY on it.

Rob Luter
10-19-2009, 6:57 AM
Perhaps I'm just fortunate, but there are a number of sharpening shops within a few miles of me (Elkhart/South Bend, IN) that offer re-toothing and sharpening of handsaws at extremely low prices. Sharpening averages about $5 and if you need a re-tooth it seems it added under $10. The quality of work has been exceptional too.