PDA

View Full Version : Getting new lathe next week...:)

Dennis McGarry
10-15-2009, 8:28 PM
Ok guys,

Through carefull devotion and dedication, wife has allowed me to start replaceing my wood working equiptment. Got a delta bandsaw benchtop cheap, got a scroll saw and table saw, (thanks Ed) already. Now next week I am picking up a jet 1014 lathe and router.

The lathe i am getting with a midi chuck and jacobs chuck so no more drilling on a DP, time to move up and drill on the lathe!

Now my question is, my first lathe was the rikon mini lathe, loved it. Anyone able to tell me how the jet will be compaired to the rikon?

Thanks!

Mary Thompson
10-15-2009, 8:44 PM
About the same, Jet a little better.

alex carey
10-15-2009, 9:34 PM
no huge differences, hear pretty good things about the Rikon and only good things about the JET. Especially the service.

Bill Bulloch
10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
With the Jet 1014 you will be limited in how big a piece you can drill i.e., drilling a 10 inch peppermill. The chuck and drill bit will take up most of your space. Other than that you should be happy with it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Dennis - congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to the photos once it arrives!

Eric Westerman
10-16-2009, 8:37 AM
I have a friend who swears by the jet.

Eric
Greensboro NC
Woodworkers Store (http://woodworker.com/)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2009, 9:19 AM
I know some folks who have used and owned both. They think they are about the same.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I have the Rikon lathe and put a bed extension on it to drill pepper mills. The Jet will be about the same but as Bill said either lathe the drill bit with extension to drill a 8" or 10" blank would require bed extension. I see Woodcraft has the Rikon for $279.

Dennis McGarry
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Looking at the specs of the two, If I wasnt getting a good deal on the jet I would go back to the rikon, Seems the rikon has 2 additonal inches of swing and length, 12x16 oposed to 10x14 for the jet..

Not really sure how much of a difference that will make for me, but thinking it might once i start turning bowls...

Guess I just got to teach the wife to turn so I have a reason to buy another lathe come x-mas time...:)