PDA

View Full Version : Any difference between drill press variable speed vs multi speed?

Billy Trinh
10-15-2009, 5:55 PM
(I'm still shopping for my first drill press) On reading the forum, I see some references about variable speed on drill press. However, the drill presses i see in stores are identified as 10x speed, 16x speed, etc. Does it mean the same thing?

harry strasil
10-15-2009, 6:00 PM
Variable speed has only 2 pulleys that move apart or together to change speeds with a dial.

Mike Henderson
10-15-2009, 6:27 PM
For me, variable speed means the ability to change the speed without having to move a belt. Most low cost drill presses have two or three pulleys with different sized grooves in them. To change the speed, you move the belt to a smaller groove on one pulley and a larger groove on the other pulley.

The problem with that approach is that it's a pain to change the speeds so you tend to use one speed for all your work, even if it's not the correct speed.

With a true variable speed, you can set the speed from a dial or a lever so you change the speed when you should.

I just wish someone would invent that for bandsaw blade changes. I leave one sized blade on my bandsaw and only change it to a different size when I absolutely have to. Maybe that's why people have more than one bandsaw.

Mike

Dan Manning
10-15-2009, 6:44 PM
Variable speed gives you an option of more than 1 set speed, be it 5/15 25 etc. A digital press gives you the option of changing speeds via pushbutton, where like mine, 16-speed manual, I have to unplug my press, manually change the belt/pully configuration to suit the job. Much like an automatic transmission in a car, versus manually changing the gears manually. And also I believe multi-speed has a gear reduction/multiplier incorperated as in a lathe. Hope this helps.

Brian Kent
10-15-2009, 7:36 PM
Oh yes, and the Variable Speed costs more. That's another noteworthy diference.

Dave Lehnert
10-15-2009, 7:48 PM
For me, variable speed means the ability to change the speed without having to move a belt. Most low cost drill presses have two or three pulleys with different sized grooves in them. To change the speed, you move the belt to a smaller groove on one pulley and a larger groove on the other pulley.

The problem with that approach is that it's a pain to change the speeds so you tend to use one speed for all your work, even if it's not the correct speed.

With a true variable speed, you can set the speed from a dial or a lever so you change the speed when you should.

I just wish someone would invent that for bandsaws. I leave one sized blade on my bandsaw and only change it to a different size when I absolutely have to. Maybe that's why people have more than one bandsaw.

Mike

Thats why I love my Shopsmith bandsaw. It may be small but the variable speed is hard to give up.

george wilson
10-15-2009, 8:21 PM
The 10 speed,12 speed,etc. machines you are seeing are NOT variable speed. They are step pulley. Variable speeds have infinite numbers of speeds,changed by turning a dial. EVS means electronic variable speed,and speeds are changed by turning a knob.

Myk Rian
10-15-2009, 9:18 PM
This is a variable speed DP.
http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DELTA/TOOLS/LARGE/3/DP350_1.jpg

Richard Jones
10-16-2009, 5:21 AM

Amen.

I just wish someone would invent that for bandsaw blade changes. I leave one sized blade on my bandsaw and only change it to a different size when I absolutely have to. Maybe that's why people have more than one bandsaw.

Bigger Amen. I'm lucky there, have a 14" for the curvy stuff and an 18" with a big Lenox blade for re-sawing, turning blanks, etc.

Rich (also looking into the VS DP thing) in VA

Eddie Darby
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
No matter what type of DP you get if you are looking to run Forstner bits, or circle cutters, then look for a model that has a low speed, around 200 RPM or close to that.

Metal working is more demanding on getting the proper speed, so the cheaper option is given to woodworkers of having a 12 or 16 speeds, and adjusting belts.

I presently have a 12 speed, but I am looking for a variable speed DP so I can adjust for each bit size, bit type, and wood type. I rarely change the belts because it's a hassle.

Mike Heidrick
10-16-2009, 2:23 PM
The belt on my Steel City drill press can be cahnged in less than a minute. I have always wanted a 3-phase DP with a var. freq. drive but the simple belt change on mine makes that not needed for the work I do.

Chip Lindley
10-16-2009, 2:34 PM
VS = Convenience, Plus, infinately variable speeds instead of set speeds according to pulley ratios.

george wilson
10-16-2009, 4:48 PM
We bought a large 20"(?) Variable speed Delta Asian drill press for the toolmaker's shop. It was so noisy it ended up with a clamp permanently installed across the middle of the belt housing. I even put a new belt on it to no avail. Also,had to change the crappy chuck to a real Jacobs to get it to run true.

I am not buying any more new made drill presses unless I can run them first.

Billy Trinh
10-18-2009, 4:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your info. It's very helpful for my drill press search.