PDA

View Full Version : End Table ... That Thumps.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-15-2009, 4:46 PM
I got tired of staring at the black box that was my subwoofer in my living room. So I decided to upgrade it's enclosure. Its all solid cherry with a sealed baltic birch plywood box inside it. I put a false front on it to make it look like it has a drawer ... but it doesn't. It sounds great. What do you think?

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/Hozerhuis/IMG_2415.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/Hozerhuis/IMG_2417.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/Hozerhuis/IMG_2418.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/Hozerhuis/IMG_2420.jpg

Jason Strauss
10-15-2009, 4:49 PM
That's sweet! You might just be on to a small business idea!

Derek Gilmer
10-15-2009, 4:54 PM
What sub is that and what is it tuned to?

Dan Manning
10-15-2009, 5:03 PM
That is an incredible idea. Oh No...More shop time!!! BRB!:D

GERALD HARGROVE
10-15-2009, 5:28 PM
I am not sure if your phone will stay on there when it is going good. Nice idea.

John Keeton
10-15-2009, 5:35 PM
Great job, and an excellent idea!!

Don't think you will have any trouble with anyone trying to open the drawer - I would be afraid to touch a table with wires going to it!!:D

glenn bradley
10-15-2009, 5:44 PM
That is one of the coolest things I have seen for quite awhile.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-15-2009, 5:58 PM
What sub is that and what is it tuned to?

Its a dayton 10" titanic sub, with a bash 300 watt amp. I have no idea what it is tuned to; I did a little research to find out what volume box to use for my equipment and after 5 minutes of doing so my brain exploded. So I just guessed.

I am not sure if your phone will stay on there when it is going good. Nice idea.

I wondered the same thing ... so I tried it full blast. It stayed right there. I attribute it to the rubber pads I put on the bottom of the legs (which you cant see due to the carpet), and the fact that it weighs 50 lbs. (I weighed it out of curiosity). The phone used to bounce around on my old sub enclosure all the time. I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't on this one.

Peter Aeschliman
10-15-2009, 7:09 PM
what a cool idea!!! I might copy that. :)

Calculating the volume of a subwoofer enclosure is actually really simple. There are sites that ask you for a few inputs and spit out the volume. I'd look for it for you, but I think it's a little late in the game at this point! ;)

Bruce Page
10-15-2009, 7:27 PM
Very cool. I wonder if the manufactures will ever catch on to something like this.

Larry Frank
10-15-2009, 8:16 PM
That is incredible and my wife would love that. She likes the good sounds from a system but does not want to see the speakers or the wires. Now, if I could come up with something for the rear speakers and to be able to hide the wires.

gary Zimmel
10-15-2009, 8:57 PM
Excellent idea Mark!

I'm sure there is a bunch of Creekers, who haven't chime in, that are planning their "thump end tables"
Furniture with a definite purpose.
Great job again. Not only for the idea but for putting it into practice.

Derek Gilmer
10-15-2009, 9:13 PM
My question was dumb a sealed sub isn't really tuned anyways.

The sub looks great and I've heard good things about the dayton 10". If anyone else is interested in planning a sub, look for software called WinISD it is very handy for planning sub sizes.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-15-2009, 9:30 PM
That is incredible and my wife would love that. She likes the good sounds from a system but does not want to see the speakers or the wires. Now, if I could come up with something for the rear speakers and to be able to hide the wires.

How about these? I built these a few months ago. The base is granite and the post is made of 4 cherry pieces mitered together so the center is hollow. The speaker wire goes up the middle so you cant see it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/Hozerhuis/IMG_2218.jpg

gary Zimmel
10-15-2009, 9:35 PM
Another nice idea for a sound system Mark.

Quick question.
Did you ever think of enclosing those rear speakers also?
Just a thought.

Von Bickley
10-15-2009, 9:52 PM
Mark,

Great idea and great craftsmanship....... :)

Mark Grotenhuis
10-15-2009, 9:56 PM
Another nice idea for a sound system Mark.

Quick question.
Did you ever think of enclosing those rear speakers also?
Just a thought.

Yeah I did ...and I still could build a cherry speaker box and make it look better, but I didn't want to bust apart my speakers (not that they are worth much). I needed them to be free standing because my space doesn't have a back wall. I considered putting ceiling surround speakers in but I didn't like the look.

Matt Sollars
10-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow, I haven't seen talk of end table subwoofers since I was doing my sound system. Nice to see WinISD in convo here.

I chickened out and bought an SVS PB13-Ultra. Thought about building an enclosure, but that piano black was sooo pretty.

matt

John Thompson
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry Mark.. been busy and almost missed this. Nice build and an extremely clever idea which kills two birds with one stone. I personally hate the look of electronics and this is a definite fix and you can't deny them being used.

Well done...

Mike Heidrick
10-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Saved in my inbox for future theft. Looks awesome!!!!

Jacob Mac
10-19-2009, 10:01 PM
That is really slick. Great idea and execution. If I ever get around to hooking up my surround sound, I might give your solution a whirl.

john davey
10-19-2009, 10:57 PM
This is an excellent idea and a really nice job as well. I believe you are going to be the inspiration for a few more of these :)...

And yes I already looked at the parts at partsexpress.com. Did you fill the inside at all? Foam or maybe an inside layer of MDF???

Thanks, John.

Howard Miller
10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Mark,
Table is cool.

Will you share your plans? I want to build some bed side tables, and I like your design.

Mark P. Miller
10-20-2009, 1:42 PM
The table is brilliant. Definitely a marketable idea!

Mark Grotenhuis
10-20-2009, 2:30 PM
This is an excellent idea and a really nice job as well. I believe you are going to be the inspiration for a few more of these :)...

And yes I already looked at the parts at partsexpress.com. Did you fill the inside at all? Foam or maybe an inside layer of MDF???

Thanks, John.

The inside is a sealed (with silicone) baltic birch box. I could have used MDF but I had a bunch of scrap baltic around. I considered putting some felt-like foam in there, but with a sealed box I don't think it matters, so I didn't. If I had ported the enclosure I would have. Parts express is where I got my stuff too. Fast, fast delivery. I ordered at 2pm on a tuesday and got it delivered wed morning with standard delivery.

Mark,
Table is cool.

Will you share your plans? I want to build some bed side tables, and I like your design.

I drew this project up in Google Sketch-up. I will try to figure out how to post it into their internet archive so you all can download it.

Mark Grotenhuis
10-20-2009, 2:43 PM
Ok it's posted in the google sketch-up 3D warehouse. Just do a search for "End Table that Thumps."

Bill Wyko
10-20-2009, 5:57 PM
What a great idea. I have a sunfire I think I'll do something similar with. Thanks for posting.

Matt Day
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Very cool! I've given something like this some thought before but have never nailed it down. I have (2) 12" Infinities that I thought about making into a coffee table, but now maybe I'll go with matching end tables!

Parts Express has a lot of different feet options if you you were to use this design on a hardwood floor - I would think there'd be some vibrations without some thought given to how it sits on the floor.

Derek Gilmer
10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Very cool! I've given something like this some thought before but have never nailed it down. I have (2) 12" Infinities that I thought about making into a coffee table, but now maybe I'll go with matching end tables!

Parts Express has a lot of different feet options if you you were to use this design on a hardwood floor - I would think there'd be some vibrations without some thought given to how it sits on the floor.

Be careful doing this. When you locate to subs apart from one another be sure and try them in their intended location. Whenever two sound waves of the same frequency meet they will cancel each other out. You can end up with some very nasty nulls in the frequency response.

Peter Aeschliman
10-21-2009, 2:09 PM
Be careful doing this. When you locate to subs apart from one another be sure and try them in their intended location. Whenever two sound waves of the same frequency meet they will cancel each other out. You can end up with some very nasty nulls in the frequency response.

What he said!

Jon Crowley
10-22-2009, 9:02 AM
I love it! At some point, I'd like to make a new sealed box for my 15" Dayton Quattro along these lines. The problem is that sub isn't supposed to be mounted downfiring, so it could get tricky.