PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff

George Beck
10-15-2009, 4:13 PM
Here is my wacky idea: I am for the most part a retired woodworker. I make hand planes, tea cabinets, boxes, etc. I have been doing some laser stuff for about 8 months now. Some of you may remember my lasered planes. In my continuing venture into combining traditional woodworking and laser technology I am starting a little business with some inspirational plaques that I hope will sell as inexpensive gift items. Initial responses from people have been very favorable. My goals here are:
1) A use for small scrape pieces of wood
2) Generate a little money to fund the shop and web site(under construction)
3) Promote "green" and economical use of precious timber
4) Make things that make people happy
I put some of my stuff on a little gallery here http://gallery.me.com/george.v.beck
This is the scary part! I am new to laser stuff and no where near as experienced as most of you here on the creek. However, with much trepidation, let me know what you think. Thank you for looking.

George

Todd Suire
10-15-2009, 4:28 PM
George,

Nice work. I'm pretty new to this myself and, with the Christmas season approaching, I've been thinking about doing much the same thing.

I think your work looks nice, and I'm sure others will agree. And, I'm sure there are a few "experts" here on the board who will provide advice to help us all take it to the next level.

Good Luck with your work.

Dee Gallo
10-15-2009, 4:35 PM
George,

Your plaques look great! I wish you a lot of luck with your new adventure, it's an excellent starting point. Beautiful pieces of "scrap" too!

cheers, dee

ps - I didn't see dimensions or prices.

Margaret Turco
10-15-2009, 6:25 PM
The plaques look great, nothing wacky about that! Thanks for sharing.

George M. Perzel
10-15-2009, 7:10 PM
Hi George;
Great stuff-especially love the plane.
The next step may be inlaying some of those small pieces of wood into the planes-really quite easy with a laser.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Linda Tetreault
10-15-2009, 7:26 PM
George,
Your plaques are beautiful.

Martin Boekers
10-15-2009, 8:09 PM
George add a magnet to smaller pieces. They are always nice for gifts and even some self promotion.

I didn't see any pens in your gallery. They are cheap to make and you can laser designs or inlays.

Marty

Bill Cunningham
10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
The plaques are very nice, and I like your choice of interesting wood grains..

donald bugansky
10-15-2009, 11:37 PM
They are really impressive.

Frank Corker
10-16-2009, 6:21 AM
George, you have some beautiful work there, but I'm trying not to be the Devils Advocate here but... those planes are never going to fly mate!

Mike Null
10-16-2009, 6:59 AM
George

No real woodworker has a shop that looks like that. It must be a showroom.;)

Very nice work and finishing.

Dan Hintz
10-16-2009, 7:08 AM
George, you have some beautiful work there, but I'm trying not to be the Devils Advocate here but... those planes are never going to fly mate!
Are you kidding me? Did you see the sharp lines on those things? A good headwind and they'll at least hover in place. Just a little shave here or there and it'd be perfect. The level of detail keeps them from looking too plane... quality woodwork puts you on another plane of existence.

Mark Ross
10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
George,

The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you use someone trustyworthy and knowledgable and check to ensure those Chinese characters mean what you think.

Nothing like having a nice plaque about Karma, just to find out that the symbol is Kung Pao Chicken! I've heard horror stories about tattoos like that!:)

George Beck
10-16-2009, 1:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking a look. I appreciate your comments. Let's see;

Dee: Thank you, I am a great admirer of your art. The plaques are approx 6" x 12" or 6" x 10". These sell for $29.99. My commercial web site is under design and larger things will be offered.

Mike Null; You should see the shop today! About 2 inch of wood shavings around the bench, newly milled lumber stacked on the bandsaw, D/C hoses everywhere, the planner is knocked down changing blades, the usual.

I thought about wood inlay and larger sizes but initially I was trying to hit an intro price point.

I had one plane that no matter what I did it just would not cut . You know what? It did Fly!

Thanks again everyone

George

Dee Gallo
10-16-2009, 1:21 PM
George,

The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you use someone trustyworthy and knowledgable and check to ensure those Chinese characters mean what you think.

Nothing like having a nice plaque about Karma, just to find out that the symbol is Kung Pao Chicken! I've heard horror stories about tattoos like that!:)

I had an expert check them, he's good to go!

:) dee

James Jaragosky
10-16-2009, 1:54 PM
Very nice use of your scrap material. I was amazed on the cleanliness of your shop. Mine is a dungeon compared to yours.