PDA

View Full Version : Old D latheelta

John Beck
10-15-2009, 3:50 PM
Just finished restoring a delta 46-230 11" wood lathe(old style). runs great but the bearing oil leaks out of the front bearing cap seal and messes up the work piece. I think I saw a post on OWWM long ago where someone replaced the oil with wheel bearing grease and kept the oil bath bearings. Will this work and how do you keep the grease from leakin out ? PS Anybody know where I can find a countershaft for this lathe?

curtis rosche
10-15-2009, 4:07 PM
i dont think grease will work right for a lathe. i think the speeds are to high for grease.

steve denison
10-16-2009, 3:59 PM
The speed can't be too high, those lathes use the same kind of bearings that are used on trailer wheels. Trailer wheels are packed with greese. I can't imaging turning at a speed higher than 65 MPH.... whatever the RPM is for that????

Gordon Seto
10-16-2009, 9:19 PM
I can't imaging turning at a speed higher than 65 MPH.... whatever the RPM is for that????

Just for the sake of argument. If the diameter of the tire is 24", the rpm of the shaft is 910 rpm at 65 MPH. That speed is too fast for even turning at half that diameter. Turning at 3000 rpm is common in small spindle turning.

M Toupin
10-16-2009, 10:33 PM
someone replaced the oil with wheel bearing grease and kept the oil bath bearings. Will this work and how do you keep the grease from leakin out ? PS Anybody know where I can find a countershaft for this lathe?

That lathe has Timken bearings which require oil, not grease. You could use grease, but then you'll be replacing the seal AND the bearings in a while.

Mike

John Beck
10-19-2009, 7:39 PM
I contacted Timken tech service and was informed that the speed is too high for grease and should use oil. As always, one thing leads to another and am now waiting for an an oil seal recommendation from Timken. I will let everyone know if I ever find a cure for my oil leak.