PDA

View Full Version : Tannewitz/Max J6 & J8 jointers?

John Noble
10-15-2009, 3:44 PM
Hi All -

Maybe this should be posted in the Deals forum, but I'm in the market for my first jointer ad ran across this special on Tannewitz/Max's website:

tannewitz.com/m_catalog08_07.asp"]Max J6/J8 Jointer Special

I'm interested in the J6 (yes, I've read all the "get an 8" arguments :D ), which is $420.00 + $180.00 shipping to sunny California.

Information is very hard to come by on these machines, but I do know they are Taiwanese. Does anyone have any thoughts about them?

Or should I just go with my first choice: PM54A?

Brodie Brickey
10-15-2009, 3:57 PM
John,

If you're stuck on the 6" jointer, I'd check CraigsList and pick up an older one there at least if you can wait a little. I'm not an old iron fanatic or anything, but there are better deals out there, and most everyone is chasing the 8".

Rod Sheridan
10-15-2009, 4:07 PM
John, as you've pointed out, they're Chaiwanese machines.

I guess I'm currious why you would buy an unknown brand as opposed to a more common brand?

I would worry about parts or warranty service.

The 8 inch jointer obviously is wider, and has longer beds, and costs much more than a 6 inch model. Many people rapidly outgrow 6 inch jointers, something to think about.

Regards, Rod.

John Noble
10-15-2009, 4:37 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I ask about the Max because it's off the beaten path, and that's where you sometimes find hidden treasure. Since posting I spoke with a very nice gentleman at Tannewitz/Max about the machine, and he made no claims of exceptional performance, quality control, etc. He did sing the praises of eight inch jointers in general, however. :p

On the larger subject of jointers and where to buy them, the San Diego area is not exactly overflowing with quality used woodworking machinery, so I'm going to buy new rather than wait the rest of my life for a good deal to come along. This, along with my 22X11 shop space and the retaining wall between my shop and driveway are steering me toward somewhat smaller and lighter machines.

All things considered, it seems like a PM54A is the front runner since most of the lumber around here is S3S and the sort of projects I have in mind aren't centered around big wide planks. Long, yes, but not wide.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Rod Sheridan
10-15-2009, 4:55 PM
John, I have the same size shop you have and replaced my individual jointer and planer with a combo Hammer A3-31.

MiniMax, Felder, and apparently Jet and Grizzly have combination machines, save space, you get a larger machine in the same footprint.

For example the Hammer is a 12" jointer/planer.

Regards, Rod.

John Noble
10-16-2009, 12:03 AM
John, I have the same size shop you have and replaced my individual jointer and planer with a combo Hammer A3-31.

MiniMax, Felder, and apparently Jet and Grizzly have combination machines, save space, you get a larger machine in the same footprint.

For example the Hammer is a 12" jointer/planer.

Regards, Rod.

Oh, that would be very nice indeed. I wouldn't mind one of those and a MM16 to go with it, but I'll have to settle for a $1k bandsaw and $1-1.5K planer (DW734, already making chips in the shop) plus jointer duo.

It does seem a little strange that I haven't seen many objections to the shorter jointer table length of combo machines like yours (around 55"), yet people get all worked up about 46-48" length of the average 6" jointer.

My wife says I should just get the PM54A plus a PM 14" bandsaw and be done with it. I guess she likes the color or something. I've had worse dilemmas. :cool:

Rod Sheridan
10-16-2009, 8:26 AM
Oh, that would be very nice indeed. I wouldn't mind one of those and a MM16 to go with it, but I'll have to settle for a $1k bandsaw and $1-1.5K planer (DW734, already making chips in the shop) plus jointer duo.

It does seem a little strange that I haven't seen many objections to the shorter jointer table length of combo machines like yours (around 55"), yet people get all worked up about 46-48" length of the average 6" jointer.

My wife says I should just get the PM54A plus a PM 14" bandsaw and be done with it. I guess she likes the color or something. I've had worse dilemmas. :cool:

John, I always listen to my wife, she's the one who talked me into the Hammer A3-31, and the Oneida cyclone, and the Hammer B3 etc.:D

I always hear about the short bed length on forums, yet in practice I haven't had any problem with material in the 6 foot long range. In addition quick detach bed extensions are available if I need them.

I'll probably get one for the planer outfeed as I hate chasing material from one side of the planer to the other.

regards, Rod.

Jeff Willard
10-16-2009, 4:28 PM
Bed length on a 6" jointer has never caused me any difficulty, bed width has.

george wilson
10-16-2009, 4:38 PM
Those jointers look just like all the other Asian machines in their class,rebadged. Another fine old American name down the tubes. However,I have 1 just like the 8",badged Bridgewood,that works just fine.

Curt Harms
10-17-2009, 7:54 AM
Is Tannewitz/Max sort of like General/General International? A high quality heavy duty domestically produced line and and imported value line?

george wilson
10-17-2009, 9:32 AM
Domestically produced,then imported????????? I don't get that one.

Frank Drew
10-17-2009, 9:33 AM
Curt,

I think that's an accurate description; Tannewitz is perhaps best known for their superior domestically-made band saws, but they also have a less expensive line of band saws (from Italy?). I don't know a thing about the quality of the imported line, but I think it's safe to say that trying to find a used original (jointer, band saw) would be worth some time and effort.