PDA

View Full Version : Walking Stick

Tim Baude
10-15-2009, 3:16 PM
Is there anyone in the Maine, NH or New Haven Conn. area that could engrave a 48" walking stick for a veteran. My machine won't handle it, and he is traveling to the New Haven area in about a week and would send the stick and then pick it up on the way. He would like just 1 line down the stick. If you can help, please let me know and I will pass your information along to him and you can chat. Thank you.
Tim

Randy Walker
10-15-2009, 9:43 PM
Tim
I can't help directly as I am in Tennessee (a little out of the way) but you could cut the stick to a size that will fit in your machine then use a conector similar to what is used in multy piece pool que's to re-connect the pieces. I know carvers use double ended lag screws to make 2 piece canes and/or to attatch carved handles.

Hope that helps

Randy Walkerhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Bill Cunningham
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm in Ontario which is 'slightly' out of the way.. But I cut a hole, and put a door on the left side of my TT.. This allows me to do paddles, Bats, and other long stuff without a problem.. (but wait till your warranty is up:D)

Roy Nicholson
10-16-2009, 7:34 AM
Tim,

could you take off a side panel for the one job... Wouldn;t want to leave it off but it shouldn't trip any of the safety switches and would let you get the walking stick in I can get to the left hand side of my machine and access it with a couple of hex screws.

Line it up and check it with the red eye feature before engraving.

Regards

Roy N.

Garrett Nors
10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm in Ontario which is 'slightly' out of the way.. But I cut a hole, and put a door on the left side of my TT.. This allows me to do paddles, Bats, and other long stuff without a problem.. (but wait till your warranty is up:D)

Any pics of this?

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
could cut the stick to a size that will fit in your machine then use a conector similar to what is used in multy piece pool que's to re-connect

Randy,

Not so good advice. A pool cue at most would have about 20lbs acting directly along it's center line.

A walking cane could have 300lbs hell bent in snapping off that 1/4" thread. Cutting a walking cane and NOT using a substantial and well fitted metal sleeve joint is a recipe for disaster.

Dan Hintz
10-16-2009, 1:16 PM
Randy,

Not so good advice. A pool cue at most would have about 20lbs acting directly along it's center line.

A walking cane could have 300lbs hell bent in snapping off that 1/4" thread. Cutting a walking cane and NOT using a substantial and well fitted metal sleeve joint is a recipe for disaster.
The guy should be leaning on it, not doing a Fred Astaire handstand. Unless he's a 600 pound+ guy, I don't think that stick will ever see 300 pounds of force. Still, point noted, and a beefier connection is probably warranted.

Dave Johnson29
10-16-2009, 4:56 PM
The guy should be leaning on it, not doing a Fred Astaire handstand.

Not so Dan, depending on the material and the diameter, a 100lb person, stumbling forward and using the cane to prevent a fall could easily apply 200lbs force.

That could cause the stick to bow slightly putting all of the load at the weakest point and a quarter inch bolt is not going to cut it.

Materials fail when pushed outside their design support parameter. Once a little bowing occurs, the structural integrity deteriorates rapidly. With 5 degrees of deflection more than 40% of the strength can be lost.

Randy Walker
10-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Of course I woldn't want to put anyone at risk. I have a cane that I used a 1/4" double end lag screw to put the handle on with. I know of carvers that have used pool que type of connectors on canes, though they may have been intended as decrative items (I don't realy know). I have also been aproched on the possability of engraving on canes myself, but have not actualy done any. I am mearly trying to offer options to Tim. He needs to make the judgment of the viability of the method.

Just my thoughts

Randy Walker

Randy Walker
10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Tim
Just another quick thought, you might engrave on another piece of wood then apply that to the cane. That saves altering the cane or your machine.

Good luck with it

Randy Walker

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I used a 1/4" double end lag screw to put the handle on with.

Randy,

I was not suggesting you had any intent, I just think from an engineering stand point it would be unwise to cut a cane in the middle and use a pool cue connector.

Attaching the handle with a 1/4" screw is a lot different from a 1/4" screw in the middle of the cane.

Bill Cunningham
10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Any pics of this?

Yup.. The hole is about 6 x 8, with a magnetic strip around the edges, which holds a cover inplace when not needed. The TT requires the air to flow through the front, and over the tube, so when the hole is in use, I only slide the door over as far as needed, and cover the rest of the opening with magnetic material across the strips on the cabinet to minimized the airflow through the hole past the item sticking out through the hole.. The cabinet is made of Aluminum, so the mag strips around the hole are needed. If your running a TT, you can ONLY put the hole on the left side, the right side does not offer enough room between the table and the rail to put anything through