PDA

View Full Version : Decent Deal?

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I have been on the market for a table saw for a while. Saw this today.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V-Left-Tilt/G1023SL

scott spencer
10-15-2009, 12:22 PM
It was arguably the best deal in a 3hp cabinet saw at $1075 shipped. At $889 shipped it's a very tough deal to beat, and is a very good saw.

Jim Rimmer
10-15-2009, 12:40 PM
If I had 220V available (and hadn't just purchased a new Griz TS) I would be all over this at that price. You hear (read) all kinds of praise for this saw on SMC.

John Thompson
10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Great deal as stated on a new saw....

Jason Beam
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
That's a decent price for a table saw if you don't mind that it lacks a riving knife. I'll bet we will see lots of these kinds of deals coming around as manufacturers have to start clearing out their splitter-style models before the riving knife deadline kicks in sometime in 2010 (http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-editorsblog&entry=209)

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
I see. Well I have been patient so far. $900 is definately the upper limit of my budget. The other one I was looking at is the G0661 that does have a riving knife. However, it is only 2HP.

GERALD HARGROVE
10-15-2009, 1:07 PM
If I had the money, I would take it.

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 1:14 PM
If I had the money, I would take it.

So the riving knife is not worth the wait?

scott spencer
10-15-2009, 1:15 PM
I see. Well I have been patient so far. $900 is definately the upper limit of my budget. The other one I was looking at is the G0661 that does have a riving knife. However, it is only 2HP.

The G1023SL will accept an aftermarket retrofitable Bolt On Ripping Knife ("B O R K") that is essentially a riving knife that travels with the path of the blade..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/rt001-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/B_O_R_K014-2-1.jpg

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 1:16 PM
They also have a 5HP unit at 1000.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-5-HP-3-Phase-Left-Tilt-Cabinet-Saw/G1023SLWX3

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 1:16 PM
The G1023SL will accept an aftermarket retrofitable Bolt On Ripping Knife ("B O R K") that is essentially a riving knife that travels with the path of the blade..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/rt001-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/B_O_R_K014-2-1.jpg

Are these just as effective? What do they cost?

EDIT: looks like about 125

http://shop.walnutacrewoodworking.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=6

Jason Beam
10-15-2009, 1:21 PM

Personally, unless you were planning to work thick hardwoods most of the time, I doubt the 2hp would be all that limiting. I'd much prefer a REAL riving knife (not that bolt-on contraption, sorry) that is designed for that saw from the ground up over a splitter, myself. It's safer, and will be more likely to stay on the saw because it won't need to be removed for nearly as many types of cuts as a splitter does.

The B-O-R-K is a little too ... um ... bodge ... for my tastes. A shelf bracket and some U clamps bolted onto a saw not designed for that feature isn't where I'd feel comfortable placing my trust. That's me, you may feel differently. It's entirely up to you.

There's a reason the UL is requiring true riving knives on all table saws. Anything but is a compromise and you need to be well aware of what you're losing in that compromise. If that U-bolt slips even a LITTLE bit, you could be in trouble. If you tighten the U-bolt so well it can't slip, you may affect the casting it's mounted to. No thanks. I'll take a factory-designed system built around the saw from the ground up, myself. :)

EDIT: Also - you're buying a new saw - I can't imagine wanting to bolt on some contraption to my new saw ... I could see it being a viable option for someone who's unable to buy new and has an existing saw they want to upgrade the safety of (though I'm still dubious of it's actual safety). You're in the market, if you want the safety one provides it just makes sense to buy a saw with one on it already. :)

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 2:02 PM
Personally, unless you were planning to work thick hardwoods most of the time, I doubt the 2hp would be all that limiting. I'd much prefer a REAL riving knife (not that bolt-on contraption, sorry) that is designed for that saw from the ground up over a splitter, myself. It's safer, and will be more likely to stay on the saw because it won't need to be removed for nearly as many types of cuts as a splitter does.

The B-O-R-K is a little too ... um ... bodge ... for my tastes. A shelf bracket and some U clamps bolted onto a saw not designed for that feature isn't where I'd feel comfortable placing my trust. That's me, you may feel differently. It's entirely up to you.

There's a reason the UL is requiring true riving knives on all table saws. Anything but is a compromise and you need to be well aware of what you're losing in that compromise. If that U-bolt slips even a LITTLE bit, you could be in trouble. If you tighten the U-bolt so well it can't slip, you may affect the casting it's mounted to. No thanks. I'll take a factory-designed system built around the saw from the ground up, myself. :)

EDIT: Also - you're buying a new saw - I can't imagine wanting to bolt on some contraption to my new saw ... I could see it being a viable option for someone who's unable to buy new and has an existing saw they want to upgrade the safety of (though I'm still dubious of it's actual safety). You're in the market, if you want the safety one provides it just makes sense to buy a saw with one on it already. :)

Good point. I will keep my eyes open.

Prashun Patel
10-15-2009, 2:24 PM
To respectfully disagree:

I think the price on that 1023 is phenomenal. A riving knife is a great safety device, but is not the only one. There are wonderful aftermarket splitters and overarm guards (Excalibur / Sharkguard) that will allow you much of what a riving knife gives AND good dust collection.

That being said, if you can wait for another year, then similar deals might abound...

Even though you're dying to jump in, I'd wait. Time rewards the patient tablesaw buyer...

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 2:26 PM
To respectfully disagree:

I think the price on that 1023 is phenomenal. A riving knife is a great safety device, but is not the only one. There are wonderful aftermarket splitters and overarm guards (Excalibur / Sharkguard) that will allow you much of what a riving knife gives AND good dust collection.

That being said, if you can wait for another year, then similar deals might abound...

Even though you're dying to jump in, I'd wait. Time rewards the patient tablesaw buyer...

I cant wait another year. Another 2-3 months maybe....

Mike Cruz
10-15-2009, 2:35 PM
Sounds like a great deal. Remember, though. If your are planning to add an extension table, and mobile base (highly reccomended), your price goes up. Not that it isn't still a great price. For a new saw, its a bargain. I'd hop on it in a minute if I were in the market and budget allowed.

GERALD HARGROVE
10-15-2009, 2:44 PM
It depends on the person. Would I like a riving knife, yes. Can I live without it, yes. It is a personal desion that only you can make with the information you have.

Bob Haskett
10-15-2009, 2:45 PM
Would this unit have better dust collection than the G0661?

Chris Tsutsui
10-15-2009, 2:57 PM
Bob, I have a splitter and let me tell you that either I keep it on for cutting sheet goods, or I take it off for doing partial cuts and intracate work. It's not that big of a deal.

A riving knife looks like it can let you keep it on if doing partial cuts and intricate work where a splitter with dust hood would surely get in the way.

However, let me remind you that a lot of people (including me) learned how to use a table saw with no protection or anti-kickback devices at all. We just don't stand behind the blade and make sure to keep the stock flush against the fence...

So really I think you should decide for yourself if you want to wait until this so-called "new" riving knife model goes on sale in a year... Or you bite the bullet and get this one for less than $900.

It's like buying a new car or computer. It will always be replaced with something with more features... but at some point you have to decide if you want to keep waiting your entire life for that better model to come out. Or you can just buy one and get some use out of it. :)

I don't think the hood adds that much to dust collection since most of the dust will be sucked from the lower half of the blade where the teeth exits the stock. I know I don't notice much of a different with or without the splitter hood in terms of dust collection.

Good luck with your choice! Consider a mobile base, and wow you are in for a treat if all you've had before was a circular saw.

Jim Rimmer
10-15-2009, 4:55 PM
I just bought a g0661 and love it. I had a 2 HP craftsman before. I am a hobbyist and I think 2 HP will be plenty for me. It's a great saw. It all depends on your intent for it, I guess.

They had been marked down $100 but not now. Don't buy the mobile base shown with it - shop around or build your own.