PDA

View Full Version : My Long Ranger II Died Today

Dick Parr
09-22-2004, 10:52 PM
When putting the shop back together today after doing some rearranging, again, I plugged in my Long Ranger II to my DC and it doesn't work. :eek: It worked before unplugging it and turning the DC? :mad:

The transmitter still works ok, a friend brought his over and we tried it, so it is in the receiver, and I tired the rest button. Can these things be repaired, or do you have to replace them? :confused:

I will be lost without it. :(

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 1:28 AM
Dick,

Why not build you one? My personal web site tells exactly how to do it and its really cheap to do!! Mine was less than $60 all total and I can replace and repair any part. The best thing? I can even turn it on from my back porch which is 75 feet away and outside my shop! :eek: :D

I have assisted several people in there remotes for their DC setups and all have been happy with the end result.

Christopher Pine
09-23-2004, 7:14 AM
Dick,

Why not build you one? My personal web site tells exactly how to do it and its really cheap to do!! Mine was less than $60 all total and I can replace and repair any part. The best thing? I can even turn it on from my back porch which is 75 feet away and outside my shop! :eek: :D

I have assisted several people in there remotes for their DC setups and all have been happy with the end result.

WHat is your personal website address?

Tyler Howell
09-23-2004, 8:07 AM
Dick!

Couple things to Try.
Unplug the unit Completely then turn it back on.
Is there and external antenna on the reciever? Is it straight and have a clear line of sight to the TX.
More ideas if those don't work

Dick Parr
09-23-2004, 8:13 AM
Dennis,

Very interesting remote build you did. I will keep it in mind if I can't get my Ranger working. :) Your site is bookmarked. :D

Tyler,

Did the first suggestion a number of times including using a different plug on a different breaker, and it doesn't have an antenna. :confused:

Tyler Howell
09-23-2004, 9:00 AM
Dick,

This is Dennis' design and I worked it a little. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772)

Can you put your TX right next to the RX and get a responce.
Any External Fuses??
Checked for Internal fuses?
Is it 110 or 220??
Anything out of one leg if it is 220?
Does it make any niose when you attempt to activate?
Pilot lights?

Shawn Battagler
09-23-2004, 9:30 AM
If you need to replace it, this may be a good source.

Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/131.cfm?)

I've had the ShopFox 110v unit for about a year without any problem. I haven't heard what sort of long term reliability they have.

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2004, 11:19 AM
WHat is your personal website address?

Christopher,

Just check out my SMC User Profile. My web site is there. If you don't know how to get there? Click on my name to the Right of my avatar and select View Public Profile. ;) :D

Kurt Loup
09-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Dick,

Mine quit working too, but the manufacturer replaced it. PSI is the manufacturer right? I believe it has a two year warranty.

Kurt

Dick Parr
09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Dick,

This is Dennis' design and I worked it a little. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11772)

Can you put your TX right next to the RX and get a responce.
Any External Fuses??
Checked for Internal fuses?
Is it 110 or 220??
Anything out of one leg if it is 220?
Does it make any niose when you attempt to activate?
Pilot lights?

Tyler,

#1, did it and nothing
2, no external fuse
3, internal fuse is good
4, 220
5, no noise
6, no pilot light

I have emailed PSI to see what they can tell me.

Thanks

Dick Parr
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Shawn, that is a good link to keep.

Kurt, I have emailed PSI to see what they will say???????????

Jack Hogoboom
09-23-2004, 3:21 PM
Man, I'm glad you guys know what you're doing. I am no electrician by any stretch. First time I wired my Jet cabinet saw I managed to smoke the plug. Scared me witless. As much as I'd like to build my own remote control, I couldn't follow all of the steps on Dennis's website and Tyler's schematic looked like Greek to me without pictures. So after reading all the posts, I ordered a Long Ranger II from Grizzly.

Jack

Tyler Howell
09-25-2004, 8:51 AM
One last try Dick, then I surrender.

Pull the battery on the remote and unplug the RX at the same time. Let it sit over night and then fire it up again???

OK, just one more.

Look in the remote for a way to program the channel or code. Usually DIP switches or jumpers. Do you have a corresponding set in the Receiver??? they have to match.
If you want to send it. I can trace a signal through. Unfortunately most of the the IF , RF and coder/decoder packages are on a chip and cost more then a new unit. PM me if you have any questions

Now I quit:o

Dick Parr
09-25-2004, 6:59 PM
Hi Tyler,

Well I went out and unplugged the battery and set next to the RX. I will try it in the morning.

I haven't taken the remote about yet, but I'm thinking this one doesn't have any switches because it is a matched set of signal codes (B). But I will look in the morning if it doesn't start up.

Thanks for the help.