PDA

View Full Version : walnut trestle table

bill littleton
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
heres my first go at a large table

John Thompson
10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice work so far, Bill. Be sure to post pictures when the top is finished. I like the simple design of trestle tables, BTW.

bill littleton
10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
wow with that many views i was hoping for a few more comments
thanks john i will

Kenneth Whiting
10-17-2009, 1:12 PM
Nice work. I really like the trestle tables with wedge joinery(?) They remind me that you don't need thousands of dollars worth of tools and jigs and "high tech" joining systems to make a few peices of wood stay together. Although I'm sure if I was to make one I would use some of the stuff I am downing.:D

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 2:03 PM
wow with that many views i was hoping for a few more comments...Bill, there are literally thousands of lurkers that surf SMC, and view the various posts. But, the reality is there are far, far fewer that post. So, don't be disappointed on the comments. Also, on the weekends, the Creek is a little neglected - everyone is in the shop!!

Now, to the table! I built a trestle table years ago that is now on it's second top, with extendable breadboard ends and leaves. It is a great design, and so very flexible.

You are doing a great job on this one, and the walnut will look beautiful once finished. Looks like you have done very well with the joinery, and the proportions look great, too.

Make sure you post more pics as you progress thru the build! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

gary Zimmel
10-17-2009, 6:07 PM
Nice job on the table so far Bill.
As others have said make sure to give us update when the top is done.
To me there has been a lot of interest as the pics have been opened up to 90 times.

One thing I may of done a little different.
On the feet, I would of made a small cutout to make look like 4 pads.
Really don't know how to explain it so a pic is worth a thousand words for me.

This is to give one the idea.
Again only my opinion.
The reason is our tile floor would make the table rock a bit.
Thanks for the look see Bill and make sure to give us peek at the finished product.

Bruce Page
10-17-2009, 6:17 PM
Very nice trestle table Bill, you’ve got some really nice walnut there.
I’m looking forward to the completion pics.

bill littleton
10-17-2009, 9:32 PM
thanks all, hey dont get me wrong i wasnt upset i just like to get as many opinions as i can. ive benn a carpenter for a while now but this is only my 5th piece of furniture so i wanted to know what some of you thought. Gary this table is a reproduction of my fold table and theres is just like you said, i thought i liked this better but you make a good point. thanks again guys

bill littleton
10-17-2009, 9:36 PM
you know i have really got into hand tools and thats why i love this style of table i used my dewalt table saw and that was it (well and a jointer) everything else was hand planes and chisels. it helps me to remember that even though i dont have a lot of shop tools or a big shop that you can still make something really nice.

Bill

glenn bradley
10-17-2009, 9:45 PM
wow with that many views i was hoping for a few more comments
thanks john i will

I was thinking the same thing. Has SMC become a flock of lookie-loos? I wouldn't worry over it. I sometimes post things I think are really interesting and never get a peep. Other times I will mention something in passing and it runs for weeks ;-)

The table looks like it is coming along nicely. I really like trestle style tables. Could be because we had one growing up. Keep us posted on your progress.

Steve Clardy
10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Very nice start on your table ;)

I made a oak trestle table last year.

David Gendron
10-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Realy nice table Bill! What not to love, Black Walnut and a well executed trestle table!
Good work!