PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor question

James Runchey
10-15-2009, 9:31 AM
My old twin tank emglo compressor has sprung a second leak. I repaired the first one with JB weld a couple'o months ago and now this one, which I JBed last night. I'm sure there will be more in the future. Do you think this is dangerous running this way? If I replaced it, what's a good reasonable priced replacement.

David Prince
10-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I would junk the compressor. Are you looking for a shop style compressor or a job site one?

Paul Ryan
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
My old twin tank emglo compressor has sprung a second leak. I repaired the first one with JB weld a couple'o months ago and now this one, which I JBed last night. I'm sure there will be more in the future. Do you think this is dangerous running this way? If I replaced it, what's a good reasonable priced replacement.

I dont think it is dangerous running that way. If the JB wels holds great. The chance of the tanks explodoing is very slim. It wouldn't worry me.

As far as a replacment goes. It depends what you want. Something equal you could get for under $250. If you want something with more capacity. Figure $250 on up. There is always craigslist. A good compressor is worth the money. I have a 5hp 30 gallon compressor I bought 12 years ago. They don't make them like that anymore. But it will run anything I need it too. It will have trouble with a DA air sander, and a sand blaster. But I dont use those very often.

Mike Cruz
10-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I guess the question is...why is it springing leaks? If it is because it is rusting through in areas....YES it is dangerous. If weld joints are just seperating, I guess fixing them ought to do the trick...I guess...

Tony Bilello
10-15-2009, 10:48 AM

If it is springing a leak either the joints were not welded properly at time of manufacture or it is rusting from the inside out. I have had compressors for a long time and never had one rust out on me. Either way, I would be concerned. I think it is potentially dangerous and would give it a Christian burial
As for a replacement, that depends on what you use it for. I would not get less than a 60 Gal unit with no less than 8 to 10 CFM at 40 PSI. That is the minimum you will need for spraying and air sanding. Cost is usually between $450 and $600 depending on manufacturer and will require 230V.
If you just want to use it for nailers, almost any unit will do.

daniel lane
10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
+1 for concern that it's rusting from the inside out. I've never had, nor heard or, a compressor tank spring a leak, though, so take my comment with a grain of NaCl.

daniel

Anthony Whitesell
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I have. Usually where they weld the motor mount to the tank. I tried to buy a Kobalt a few years back. After returning the second one, I tried the next three in store before I bought it. All five went back. That was obviously a manufacturing and/or shipping issue. But I have seen them at work and home as well.

I'm waiting for the OP to list where the leaks are.