PDA

View Full Version : Tool Manuals -- downloadable

Tom Godley
10-15-2009, 8:28 AM
I picked up one of the Sears 20" planers when it was listed in the "Deals and Discounts" section a couple of weeks ago.

The delivery was yesterday and the instruction manual was missing :(

I am going to call Sears today -- but I am sure it will take them a while to get me one.

When I did a search for opinions of the planer prior to the order I found a few posts on the internet that had links to manuals for the unit. Now I can not find any-!!

Any help would be appreciated -- I would love to try it out!

Brian W Evans
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Not sure if you'll have this issue or not, but I once called Sears customer service to ask how to download a manual for my lawn tractor and they told me they couldn't offer it for download because they didn't own the rights to it. Even though the tractor had their name on it (Craftsman), it had been built by some other company that had retained the rights to the manual. They kindly offered to sell me a copy of the manual for around $20 plus shipping and handling, which I thought was ridiculous since it's a half step above a photo copy and I had already paid them $2k for the tractor. This is one of the many reasons I won't ever buy Sears power tools or appliances again.

By comparison, Dewalt once sent me a set of manuals - completely free - for a set of tools I bought used (i.e. Dewalt made no money on the transaction). That's customer service and it's one reason I have continue to consider Dewalt when buying tools.

Sorry for the rant. It doesn't help you get the manual, but maybe explains why you can't find it online.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
What's the model #?

###.######... Will gladly track it down for you.

Tom Godley
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
The Sears model number is 21704

This is basically the same as the Grizzly #0454 with a few minor differences. So I can look at the manual that Grizzly properly and easily provides to its customers for some guidance.

The Sears unit does not have the included wheeled base of the Grizzly - but it does come with a digital readout thingy. The color and knobs are also different. This same machine is sold by some other manufacturers - I believe Powermatic.

The unit is made in China -- and the build quality is better than I was expecting. Although, I have not turned it on yet.

I should have downloaded the manual when I had the chance.

Don Jarvie
10-15-2009, 2:28 PM
hammerwall.com

Your limited to 5 per day and opening the manual to browse counts.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-15-2009, 2:58 PM
Wow... That's turned out to be a much harder one to track down than I'd thought.. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

Really.. SHOULD be online.

Tom Godley
10-15-2009, 4:24 PM
Don -- Thanks I found it :)

Cool site

Dan Ewalt
10-15-2009, 5:17 PM
Here you go... model number is actually 351.217040

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/owner_manuals/download_manual?brand_name=Craftsman&brand_name_search=351217040+CRAFTSMAN&document_type=OWNM&document_url=%2Fmmh%2Flis_pdf%2FOWNM%2FL0521401.pd f&model_number=351217040&product_type=Planer

Tom Godley
10-16-2009, 9:11 AM
Thanks Dan -- That one I could print out

You guys are good