PDA

View Full Version : Palm Hollow form with fineal Critique requested

Brian Brown
10-15-2009, 1:26 AM
This is a hollow form from a blank SWMBO bought me right after she got me a lathe. I had heard so many horror stories about palm, I didn't dare try it. She finally pulled the blank off the shelf and said do this now. It was really easy to work with. The hollowing was a breeze. I would like to get a critique on form and the finial. This is only my 3rd or 4th HF, and my 2nd finial. The HF is Black Palm and Wenge. The finial is ebonized maple. It is about 3.5" wide, and 6.5" tall.

alex carey
10-15-2009, 1:44 AM
wow that is pretty, I really gotta try that one day.

Brian Kent
10-15-2009, 1:50 AM
Brian

Stunning!

Brian

Jason Clark2
10-15-2009, 1:56 AM
I love the finial, it seems to be just the right height and has a great form but I'm torn on the shape of the body. I think it's the base that is throwing me off. It seems a bit too wide.

Jason

alex carey
10-15-2009, 2:31 AM
I agree with Jason, everything is perfect except the foot, it is a little bit too wide.

Finial works nicely.

Peter Luch
10-15-2009, 3:25 AM
I don't know about the foot.

Everyone seems now days to think small is better but I think the foot flows nicely with the wide form.
It's a squat stout form and a dainty little foot would go against that form.
It actually seems to remind me of a form I have seen in a purfume bottle / atomizer.

That's just my opinion, not that I know anything......:D

The thing that seems off to me is the large bludge in the finial. I actually think something not as drawn out would complement the bottom a little better.

All in all its a wonderful piece and it is very pleasing as is. You did a great job on this one and just starting out it shows you have a good feel for turning.
Give this one to your wife, it's a keeper!

Aloha, Pete

Norm Zax
10-15-2009, 3:52 AM
Beautiful flow and result! The palm you were wary of is an unstabilized one. By the way, where does one get palm blanks larger than pen blanks?
Norm

Richard Jones
10-15-2009, 4:03 AM
I'm also going to say that the foot is a bit too large. I like them to flow underneath and not only provide a shadow line, but levitate the piece. The bulb of the finial also seems a bit fattish, as it tends to focus my eye to that spot. Sort of takes away from the slenderness of the finial. The top section of the finial is a bit too straight, should have just the slightest curve in it to "interrupt" your eye/brain thing. Everything curved, everything flowing.

Overall, a very nice form and execution. Regardless of how many you've done, that is excellent. As always, we're the harshest critics.............

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Cody Colston
10-15-2009, 8:23 AM
First, that's a beautiful piece, nice flowing lines and it really has an Eastern look to it.

When someone asks for a critique, I always try to formulate my thoughts before looking at the other comments. I don't know anything about art but I do know what's pleasing to my eye.

The foot looks fine to me. I know small is "in" but in this case, I think the wider foot works.

The finial shape is excellent. You are obviously good with small details and it shows. The only thing that jumped out at me was the overall size of the finial. It seems out of proportion to such a small delicate piece. I think it needs to be slimmed down by 50% at least, especially the bulge at the bottom.

But, like I said, I know nothing about art so don't ruin the piece over my comments. :)

Jeff Nicol
10-15-2009, 8:47 AM
Brian, Like already has bee stated the finial could be a bit less bulky at the bulb to keep the danity/fragility of the finial continuous. The shape of the main body is great and the palm wood it always spectacular when it works and finishes well! On the foot it looks a little unfinished, I think I would have continued the curve of the body to a point where a small bead or pair of beads and then a bit smaller foot. Or just not put the reverse curve on the bottom to a foot that was a bit smaller to create a shadow line to give the whole thing a look that it is floating off the table. There are many ways to come up with how to make things better, but never perfect, as that is wahy we keep turning! All in all it is a nice piece for someone like you who has not been turning for decades. Continue on the path you are on and all the tricks learned over the years by who we refer as the masters, will be in your bag of tricks! If you get a chance check out Richard Raffans book on design it has a lot of simple timless works in it from many turners and will give you lots of insight on what I mean.

Great job and keep climbing the mountain of skills and learning,

Jeff

Richard Madison
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Another cool piece Brian. And mostly what they said; continuous smooth curvature to somewhat smaller (but not tiny) foot, only slightly smaller finial bulb, and I like the finial to blend smoothly into the collar. As mentioned, just personal taste, not to be taken too seriously. A beautiful piece as is. Love the black palm.

Mike Minto
10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
very nice piece, but i agree with others - the finial could be thinner, takes my focus away from the form to the bulge there. i think it would look taller, as well as more elegant with a thinner finial. great wood, though. mike

Bill Neff
10-15-2009, 2:48 PM
Beautiful piece and one to be proud of. The one thing that stood out to me was the bulge in the finial. As a fairly new turner, I pulled the photo into Photoshop to see how it would look with some of the suggestions made here. We do this alot with my other obsession - bonsai. Take pictures of the tree and do virtuals before cutting or moving branches. But sometimes things don't appear the same as in a photo - 3d vs 2d effect so I always try to keep that in mind.

Here's my virtual with a smaller foot & thinner finial.

Bill

Scott Hackler
10-15-2009, 3:38 PM
The HF is awesome. I dont know if I would change anything about it. As far as the finial, I dont personally think that the think bulge works with the form. The thicker bulge kinda detracts from the natural beauty of the HF. Nice work.

Now give it up, where can you buy palm bowl blanks? :)

Joe Aliperti
10-15-2009, 4:04 PM
Here's a source for a 2 x 6 x 6 black palm bowl blank:

http://www.exoticwood.biz/blackpalm.htm

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2009, 5:22 PM
Here is yet another photoshop version:

Just touched up the photo a little to see if all the recommendations enhanced the piece or not. Brian - only you can decide if anything needs to be improved.

Only suggestion that I have is to increase your photo size to 800x600 so we can enjoy the details.

Very nice work!

Richard Madison
10-15-2009, 5:56 PM
Steve, I like the smooth curvature from body up into the finial, and same at the base. You guys have pioneered a valuable new turning tool. Photograph the piece before the finishing cuts, experiment with it in Photoshop to get the best form, print and return to the lathe picture in hand.

Brian's piece is indeed stunning just as it is, and/but this was an interesting exercise.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2009, 11:19 PM
That is a great looking piece Brian. I definitely would have made the foot smaller like Steve has shown and the finial onion shape thinner plus I would have made the finial shorter.

Tamara Brown
10-18-2009, 4:19 AM
Now give it up, where can you buy palm bowl blanks? :)

Well, Scott, I got it at Woodcraft in Salt Lake City. Way back when I got Brian the lathe (who knew how that would turn out :cool: ), I didn't know what wood would be good to turn...I just thought it was pretty. They funny thing is, I have never seen another one since. Sorry that doesn't help. :(

Keith Burns
10-18-2009, 5:57 PM
Brian, you have received a lot of good suggestions. A lot of them came to my mind when I first viewed the piece. However, I liked it when I first viewed it, as is. After coming back and looking some more I like it just like it is. I would proudly display it.

Skip Spaulding
10-18-2009, 7:40 PM
Beautiful Brian, the finial works for me, it appears to follow the shape of the base. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder! Then again I don't find tall skinny models that attractive. (Probably I can't say that on this site:D)

Curt Fuller
10-18-2009, 9:00 PM
That palm is some really cool looking wood. I like the combination with the dark wood base and finial. I would be on the side of those that think the finial should be thinner. But it's a great looking finial and if you like it that way that's what counts.

Wally Dickerman
10-19-2009, 5:02 PM
This is a hollow form from a blank SWMBO bought me right after she got me a lathe. I had heard so many horror stories about palm, I didn't dare try it. She finally pulled the blank off the shelf and said do this now. It was really easy to work with. The hollowing was a breeze. I would like to get a critique on form and the finial. This is only my 3rd or 4th HF, and my 2nd finial. The HF is Black Palm and Wenge. The finial is ebonized maple. It is about 3.5" wide, and 6.5" tall.

Hi Brian...
I can't comment on turning palm, as I've never turned any.

Most folks, when turning their first finials, (myself included) turn them too large. Your finial has a nice shape but it overpowers the vessel. About half that size would be better. IMO a finial, in most cases should appear to be fragile.

The form of the vessel has good curves but the balance could be better. The rule of thirds is a good one. The base or foot should be no more than 1/3 the dia. of the vessel or bowl. In a art form, less is often better. The widest part of the vessel should not be on center (not counting the finial). Again the rule of thirds (or close) can apply. 1/3 -2/3, either above or below center gives a better balance.

For one of your early HF's this is good one.

Wally

Rusty Smith
10-19-2009, 5:14 PM
Well until I saw Bill's virtual rendition, I was thinking everyone was being a bit too critical. After seeing the do-over I see what everyone is saying. Obviously I don't have the eye for this artistic stuff yet. :o

Jarrod McGehee
10-21-2009, 1:22 PM
I like the form, including the finial. That other guy that modified it though does make it look cool as well.

Nice job working with it also. I might have to try some soon