PDA

View Full Version : What a long strange trip it's been

Brian Brown
10-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Actually it's been a long strange summer but the Grateful dead reference kinda fits. Between a poor economy, a bad back, serious health issues for family members, and much other "out of the blue strangeness", my lathe and I have spent very little time together. The poor economy just means I have to look to a larger geographic area for work, and a huge amount of my time is spent traveling. Travel time means no lathe time. Too bad, as this has been the most temperate summer I can remember, and the garage was rarely too hot to work in. So in this post and a couple to follow, I'll post my piddley amount of turning for the last 6 months.

This vase is unfinished, and will probably remain unfinished for a long time. Just because your lathe is capable of turning a large size does not mean it is a good idea. Case in point: this vase is more than the maximum hollowing capacity of my current tool collection. ::eek: I can't reach far enough into this vase to finish hollowing it out. I like the form and natural edge, but I just can't quite get it done. However, I do have a question. When I cut this BE Burl, the sawdust coming out of the chainsaw looked like blood at times. Unfortunately, when I turn the wood, the red streaking in the wood is very pale. I read somewhere (maybe here) that BE burl in the western US has less of the fungal staining than that found in the east. Any idea if that is true? Is there a way to get the red stain to show more? If I ever finish this piece, I might dye it to get the burl to show more. Then again, it may just end up being a practice piece. :( Comments welcome.

Ted Calver
10-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Brian,
You have my sympathies on life interfering with our best laid plans and I can't help with the BE question, but I can say that's a beautiful form and a pretty darn nice piece of wood. Here's hoping things get better for you and you get a chance to finish it up...it's a beauty!!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Brian,

The BE I have obtained locally varied. Some of it had a lot of red color in it and some of it didn't. A fellow Creeker gifted me with some blanks that had been cut locally sealed and stored for several years in a barn. The wood was dry and every piece I've turned has been crack free. Most of it was BE and again....some had a lot of color...some didn't.

Nice form BTW. Pretty wood.I can't wait to see it finished.

Hope economics get better down that way. Things here have kinda stayed the way they always are....we just seem to plod along.

Sorry to hear about the family health issues. I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Brian Kent
10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Brian, that is one marvelous piece of unfinished work. Even if it is a practice, it is a keeper.

Brian

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2009, 9:36 AM
Brian - hope things are starting to settle down for you! Really like the vase! Pretty wood - great form! Hope you will get the chance to finish it one of these days - should be well worth the effort!

Richard Madison
10-15-2009, 9:54 AM
That's a cool piece Brian. How tall is it, what hollowing system and tool bit size?

curtis rosche
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
it looks like there is a crack in the side that is starting to form. you might wanna clean up and finish the outside,

phil harold
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
what is "BE Burl"?

thanks

Brian Brown
10-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry Phil. BE Burl is Box Elder Burl. :o

Brian Brown
10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
it looks like there is a crack in the side that is starting to form. you might wanna clean up and finish the outside,

The cracks happened while I was turning it. They have been filled with CA, but I hate them anyway.

Brian Brown
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
That's a cool piece Brian. How tall is it, what hollowing system and tool bit size?

About 11" tall when the tenon is cut off, and about 8" diameter at the largest. As for Hollowing, I only have a MIDI lathe and a Termite tool, hence the limitations when it comes to hollowing. :( My original intention with this piece was to cut the foot off. It is to sit down with no visible foot and a recess cut a bit up into the bottom.

Allen Schmid
10-15-2009, 2:24 PM
Brian,
You have a very nice looking piece of wood there. Don't neglect it as it may be a real keeper when you are done. Maybe you should follow Steve's lead and see what staining will do for it, he has posted some real beauties!
As for the rest of your post, I too have been through the ringer with turmoil...I know what you are going through. I have lost a grand-nephew, an Aunt and most recently my Father in 4 months time...have to say it has taken me months to get back on my feet emotionally and appreciate the things around me. No easy way to do it but forge ahead and as hard as it is keep your chin up. Thinking of you and yours and hope things progress well for all involved in your family circle.
Allen
ps haven't posted in a long while but have been back to see what some of my favorite turners are doing!

Richard Madison
10-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Brian, That's deep (at least by my standards). Can you drill down to the vicinity of the bottom to help the drying process from the inside? Sometimes better to leave the cracks untreated until the piece is completely dry, as they may close somewhat. Had a similar piece of oak that cracked beyond redemption, I thought, while being hollowed. Took it off and stuck on shelf, destined for burn pile. Several months later I noticed that the cracks had absolutely vanished. Just a thought.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Great looking piece Brian.

Sorry to hear about the problems. You and yours will be in our prayers.