PDA

View Full Version : Home School Woodshop class - week 4

Dave Sharpe
10-14-2009, 8:08 PM
OK, today was week 4. (for those new to this thread, I've been documenting my experiences as a home school shop teacher. My class consists of two boys, ages 10 and 11, who are the sons of friends.)
Today we finished up the bookends we started last week, mostly consisting of drilling pilot holes and screwing pieces together using epoxy and brass screws. Dad dropped off the boys and left, returning 90 minutes later to pick them up, bringing their aunt along to show her the shop. I noticed the boys were excited to show off their work so far, and I was so proud when their aunt asked why we were using an old candle on the brass screws and both boys promptly answered her, explaining the benefits of using candles rather than soap, etc.
I gave each of them a stack of magazines with examples of the projects each of them has chosen as a semester project (Jackson wants to make a nightstand for his room, Logan wants display shelves). Their homework assisgnment is to review the magazines and either pick a plan out of the magazines, or produce some drawings showing just what they want to make. As I mentioned in my last posting, I'm learning as much or more than the boys are, and learning to adjust my expectations to match their abilities and interest levels. Their Dad told me today that this is the best part of their whole week! (Dad was a little chagrined that the youth group he leads for our church came in second place....)

Having lots of fun and all digits are still attached.....

Matt Ranum
10-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Sounds like it is working out well.
Keep up the good work.