PDA

View Full Version : River Birch HF

Cody Colston
10-14-2009, 4:28 PM
Well, I was gonna post this in reply to Tom Lewis' question a couple days ago asking if River Birch was any good to turn. Then I see William Bolen's fabulous piece and I'm almost ashamed to post mine.

BTW, it does spalt very easily. I've got a large stash that will probably rot before I get it all turned. Oh well.

This one is 7.5" x 7.5" with an Ebony collar. Finish is three or four coats of Deft. I'll be displaying it along with my other stuff at an art festival this weekend. Wish me luck.

Terry Achey
10-14-2009, 4:31 PM
That's a real beauty Cody. Is the ebony collar segmented?

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2009, 5:03 PM
Cody - excellent work! Great form - love the small foot! Spalting looks great - first photo reminds me of an old map!

Best of luck at your art show this weekend! Hope you win ribbons and sell everything!

Bill Bolen
10-14-2009, 5:24 PM
Gosh Cody.... I'd be proud to post something of that quality!! Beautiful piece. Love the form and finish and the little collar adds a lot to it...Bill..

Cody Colston
10-14-2009, 6:03 PM
That's a real beauty Cody. Is the ebony collar segmented?Terry

No, it's one piece. I had a round, thin piece (about 2" diameter) left over from a couple of larger pieces a friend brought back from West Africa...Angola, I think.

Eugene Wigley
10-14-2009, 7:04 PM
Cody, that's really nice work. I wish I could do that. I like the form, the wood and the finish. Thanks for posting it.

David E Keller
10-14-2009, 7:38 PM
Amazing spalt... Outstanding piece with nice overall form. Don't let that wood rot... Send it to your fellow creekers;-)

Toney Robertson
10-14-2009, 8:39 PM
Cody,

Looks good to me. Beautiful wood and well executed.

Good luck on the art fair.

Toney

Curt Fuller
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Good luck at the art fair. With work like this piece you should do well.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Beautiful piece Cody. Good luck.