PDA

View Full Version : Dining Table Support

tim walker
10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a friend that wants a pedastal or legs to go on the bottom of a metal table top. Dimensions are 42" W x 108" long and it weighs approximately 200#.

He is thinking about using these table supports from Rockler. Two questions, will they support the weight, and how far from the ends should the legs go? Ok now a third question too. Will the table have good stability along its length using this system.

C:\Documents and Settings\twalker\Desktop\table legs

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21734

tim walker
10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry file should now be attached.

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, those legs sets will support the weight.

The spacing question has to do with where you expect people to be sitting. I'd put them about 20" from the ends of the table, to allow somebody to sit at the end. But your choice might be different.

The lateral stability depends entirely on how you fasten the legs to the top. If you do it lightly, a good shove could pull out the screws and collapse the table. So how do you plan to make that connection?

Tony Bilello
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I have a friend that wants a pedastal or legs to go on the bottom of a metal table top. Dimensions are 42" W x 108" long and it weighs approximately 200#.

He is thinking about using these table supports from Rockler. Two questions, will they support the weight, and how far from the ends should the legs go? Ok now a third question too. Will the table have good stability along its length using this system.

C:\Documents and Settings\twalker\Desktop\table legs

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21734

With a 200 lb table top 9' long I personally would not do this. My concern would not be whether the legs could hold the 200 lb top but rather if it could take a racking force with that weight. When I use the term racking I am referring to any lateral twisting forces that could break the table to leg joint. This could come from a heavy-weight leaning/pushing against the top. So, my answer is "definitely NOT!!!" If you are a Petroleum Engineer in Houston, you know the size of some of these very large Bubba's.
BTW, I live in Kemah and work offshore as a contractor.

tim walker
10-15-2009, 1:52 PM
The table has 2" ribbing underneath it. Our intention is to bore later holes in the ribbon and place an equal thickness board all the way across and secure it with lag screws.

Do you think that would be sturdy enough?

David DeCristoforo
10-15-2009, 2:56 PM
"...bore...holes in the ribbon and place an equal thickness board all the way across and secure it with lag screws..."

I would be more concerned with the strength of the joint between what you are calling the "ribbon piece" and the upright leg posts. That's going to be the "weakest link". Attaching the "ribbon piece" to your top can be done in any number of ways that would be adequate but none of them are going to provide any racking resistance. I would seriously consider adding some deep (4-6") stringers between the leg posts.

Jamie Buxton
10-15-2009, 2:58 PM
The table has 2" ribbing underneath it. Our intention is to bore later holes in the ribbon and place an equal thickness board all the way across and secure it with lag screws.

Do you think that would be sturdy enough?

Maybe this would work. A question is how well the ribbing is attached to the rest of the table. If the table top is mostly a piece of sheet metal over a lightweight wood frame, you might be able to wrench the ribs away from the table by shoving hard sideways on the table. You can reduce the leverage the leg set has on the top by making your intermediate board larger. Say you make it a couple feet square. Now the screws going into the ribs have much less stress attempting to pull them out when you shove sideways on the table.