PDA

View Full Version : Chicken coop plans?

John Shuk
10-14-2009, 9:18 AM
It seems there is one book that all google searches lead to. I'm wondering if any folks out there have a coop plan that could be passed along.(willing to pay)
My ultimate goal is to have about 6 chickens and I would like to be able to accommodate about 10.
I'm hoping to build over the winter and get a good start with some chicks next summer.
Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

David G Baker
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
The most important advice I can give is protect your birds from predators that come from the sky, under the fence, the ones that can climb a fence and make sure the mesh of the wire is so small the birds can't put their heads through the wire.
I had 10 pheasants that were almost adult in size that I kept in a pen that was enclosed on the top and all sides with cyclone fencing material. don't know how it happened or what did it but two of the pheasants had their heads ripped off and their bodies were still inside of the pens. I have read that the beheading is a horned owl trick. I live in an area with a lot of wild critters roaming around during the night.
Your living is cold country may force you to build a well insulated building with some heat and a device to keep the water supply from freezing. Can't help you on the building construction but there must be some good ideas on the Internet.

Josh Reet
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Oddly enough, our local re-store is doing a seminar on building chicken coops later this month. I, however, do not want to go as I don't want my wife to get any more excited about having chickens than she already is.

Randy Cohen
10-14-2009, 1:00 PM
We've kept chickens for about 20 years. Googling chicken coop plans yields a lot of hits so have at it. Chickens don't need much. A place to get out of the wind and the rain. Security from predators (as David pointed out). Its nice to have nest boxes so you can easily find the eggs. Don't get more than 1 rooster unless you like cock fights. Feed them and give them some water. I've never given them any heat and it gets down to single digits here. Not much to it. Post back if you have more specific questions.

Jim Podsedly
10-14-2009, 1:00 PM
John,

Here are a few pictures of the coop I made a few years back when we were in Utah.

A few things.
Keep the water and feed up off the floor. It will get nasty and lots wasted if they can scratch at it.
Make lots of perches.
Keep them warm in the cold months and don't let them get over heated in the summer. Vents are key.
The outside run was too sunny so i eventually covered the top with wood. this provided more shade and kept the rain out of the pen. Also, kept the hawks from circling.
Be sure to close them in at night. Too many creatures like chicken!
Enclose the outside pen on all sides, top, and run the fencing into the ground.
The nests i made can be accessed without going into the actual pen. this saves the shoes! The wife liked that idea.
When we first got the chicks we kept them in the garage and just build a temporary box for them. they were too little to be put into the coop.

Jim

Al Wasser
10-14-2009, 2:06 PM
If you have a County Agent (Cooperative Extension Service) in your area I would suggest you give them a call. A good source for things related to agriculture and more. Also try a search for a state office and maybe you can down load something.

Lee Schierer
10-14-2009, 3:36 PM
don't know how it happened or what did it but two of the pheasants had their heads ripped off and their bodies were still inside of the pens. I have read that the beheading is a horned owl trick.

Beheading is also what Mink or Weasels do if they can't get through the wire and the chicken sticks it's head out.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-14-2009, 4:02 PM
I'd consider splitting the coop down the middle and installing little hatches and plexi (or glass) windows at each nest box so you can both see what's going on and access the eggs. Or just build it with the backs of the next boxes against an outer wall with hatches.
Note: Wear thick leather work gloves when taking the eggs as the chickens will peck that hand. That way your morning trip to the pen won't leave your feet covered in bird poo.

I have kept chickens in Mass and in Maine. In Mass I dedicated a tool shed as the coop and it worked out well enough. In Maine I dragged my feet about building the coop so gathering eggs was like Easter for a while.
aside from a nest box they need a walk way in and ou of the coop and somethings to play with like a rail to perch on some little wooden balls etc.

I used to let my chickens out into the yard and they'd follow me around waiting for me to flip a rock or log whereupon they'd peck and eat at whatever was underneath. I worked next to the Charleston Chew Company and they'd torow out giant loads of reject candy whcih farmers bought for $0.10 a pound. I'd fill the trunk of my car with the candies and the chickens loved them. They'll eat pretty much anything so you can use them to get rid of that revenoor wots been snoopin 'round. Then feed the bones to the hogs. All kidding aside, chicken farmers regularly nail a carcass to the wall in a large coop and the birds peck it clean

Here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Chicken-Coop-Plans-Six-Crucial-Elements-For-Success&id=1456712
That's a fellow who believes he's nailed down 6 important elements.
Looks like it makes sense.

Randy Cohen
10-14-2009, 5:01 PM
Beheading is also what Mink or Weasels do if they can't get through the wire and the chicken sticks it's head out.
beheading is my way of getting some chicken for supper too.

Matt Meiser
10-14-2009, 5:03 PM
What a weasel...

Michael Weber
10-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Here's some ideas from an earlier post
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1145474#poststop
scroll down
and http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/need-ideas-chicken-coop-expansion-42599/

Sean Troy
10-17-2009, 9:08 AM
Make sure you can actually have a coop. I know most of your county is rural (I used to live in ulster co.) I thought I could living here where I am now and find it's against ordanance.