PDA

View Full Version : Handy little program I made to help with searching CL

Stephen Saar
10-14-2009, 2:16 AM
Thought some other people might find this handy. I've been searching CL everyday to see if I can find various good deals for things I'm looking for my shop. I got tired of typing in every item I was looking for everyday, and since I search in multiple cities it could get irritating to keep on typing these things all the time. So I made a little program that will keep track of the tools I want and the cities I'm searching in. Figured I'd post it here in case anyone was interested.

All it does is keep a list of the tools you are looking for and then opens up webpages to CL with the info already in place when you click on the button.

Here's a quick tutorial:

I'm looking for bandsaws in Atlanta, and Charlotte. So the first time I open the program I type in Bandsaw in the field where it says "Add Tool Here". Then I click the button that says "Add Item". I also add "Band Saw" since sometimes people list it one way or another. I then add "Atlanta" to the Cities and "Charlotte" using the field "Add City Here" and the "Add City" button. Then I click "Open Sites" and it will open up 4 tabs in my browser. For "Band Saw" and "Bandsaw" in Atlanta, and the same thing but in Charlotte. After that everytime I re open up the program the data is already filled in, and I just have to click "Open Sites" again and it will automatically open everything up.

A few other notes, if an item does not have a check mark next to it, it will not be opened up. So if I unchecked "Band Saw" it would only search for "Bandsaw". Also you can delete an item or city by highlighting the item or city and then clicked the respective delete button.

Not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but it's been helping me empty my bank account faster and easier, so I guess it's doing it's job. :-)

-Stephen

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-14-2009, 3:52 PM
Have you considered selling that program?
Might me a winner.

Rob Wright
10-14-2009, 5:42 PM
Big Thumbs up!

Thanks - it works great

phil harold
10-14-2009, 6:02 PM
I use http://www.crazedlist.org/

It will not work in Internet explorer

I use it in Opera

It suposedly works in Firefox too

Dennis McGarry
10-14-2009, 6:13 PM
What did you write it in? Looks like VB?

Stephen Saar
10-14-2009, 6:39 PM
Nope, I used C# with VS 2k8. Just a quick and dirty program, nothing fancy. I'll probably add some enhancements to support price ranges and such for each tool.

Dennis McGarry
10-14-2009, 8:41 PM
Cool, I thought about doing one in vb. Might want to add support for catagories as well. Then again dont know what the API is like for the search..

Jim Kountz
10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Snarfer is another good one that does this fairly easy. I guess its still free but not sure. Cool program you made though!!

Josh Reet
10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
For those with iphones, Scout is a great CL search tool. Isn't free though.

http://www.octopialabs.com/

Randal Stevenson
10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
What OS, is this made for?

Phil Thien
10-15-2009, 9:08 AM
Do I need a runtime or something for this? Like the latest dot net or something?

Stephen Saar
10-15-2009, 12:41 PM
It's made for the Windows OS, although with Mono you might be able to get it to work on non-windows OSes. You will need the .Net framework from MS (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en). You only need this if you have XP or earlier. Windows Vista, and Windows 7 both have .net built in.

-Stephen