PDA

View Full Version : My new G0690 arrived today!

scott vroom
10-14-2009, 12:39 AM
I've read numerous posts here about shoddy packaging and parts damaged in shipping. My new G0690 and G0490 were delivered today and I can happily report that all packaging was in perfect condition with no external damage. I have also read stories about folks having to clean a thick protective coat of gunk from the TS top. My TS top had nothing more than a very thin coat of machine oil. The table is dead flat in all directions. We tied the pallet to the assembled ShopFox rolling base and my son and I were able to easily wiggle the TS base onto the base. Tomorrow we complete set up of the TS and jointer.

Tommy Curtiss
10-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Congradulations on the new saw and jointer,,,and I would issue a "YOU SUCK X 2",,,but I must now turn my nose up in speculation:eek:,,"cause if there ain't no pic's,,,couldn't have happend!!!:D"

now settle down and get those suitable for some "show me's"

eric eaton
10-14-2009, 1:09 AM
Please post your impressions on the 490 ... I am ready to pull the trigger on that beast when (If) Bing Paypal goes up again !

The only difficult decision I have is whether I get the Shelix on my Dewalt 735 or the Jointer ... hhmmmm.

Congratulations ...

Gerry Werth
10-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Scott,
Congrats on your new G0690. I am contemplating buying the same, or the 691. What do you think of your saw. Looking for some feedback and recommendations.
Thanks, Gerry

scott vroom
10-18-2009, 1:29 PM
My son just finished setting up the G0690 and doing the calibrations. I'm completing the shop wiring this afternoon and will begin making sawdust by this evening! I'll give you my impressions as I run it through it's paces. I chose the G0690 over the G0691 due to space limitations in my garage shop. I spoke to Grizzly and they confirmed it is fairly easy to extend the right side rip cap from stock 30" to 38" by moving the rail one hole to the right (and drilling one new hole). I imagine 30" will suffice for >95% of my needs; I won't move the rail right until I have a pressing need. I plan to cut down my 4x8 sheetstock with a skillsaw then finish cut on the TS.

Jeff Miller
10-18-2009, 4:56 PM
My son just finished setting up the G0690 and doing the calibrations. I'm completing the shop wiring this afternoon and will begin making sawdust by this evening! I'll give you my impressions as I run it through it's paces. I chose the G0690 over the G0691 due to space limitations in my garage shop. I spoke to Grizzly and they confirmed it is fairly easy to extend the right side rip cap from stock 30" to 38" by moving the rail one hole to the right (and drilling one new hole). I imagine 30" will suffice for >95% of my needs; I won't move the rail right until I have a pressing need. I plan to cut down my 4x8 sheetstock with a skillsaw then finish cut on the TS.

I just ordered a 690 myself (haven't received it yet) and thought about moving the rails over but aren't there notches in the rail for the miter slots in the table saw top.

Please share some more info on this idea.

Thanks

JEFF:cool:

Cary Falk
10-18-2009, 5:03 PM
Jeff,
The tube is connected to the table saw via a piece of angle iron(the piece that has the notches for the miter slots). The tube probably 10 or so tapped holes on the underside that attach it to the angle iron. Shift the tube to the right one screw hole and attach it with the remaining holes.

Cary

Jeff Miller
10-18-2009, 5:42 PM
Jeff,
The tube is connected to the table saw via a piece of angle iron(the piece that has the notches for the miter slots). The tube probably 10 or so tapped holes on the underside that attach it to the angle iron. Shift the tube to the right one screw hole and attach it with the remaining holes.

Cary

Thanks Cary, I was thinking you had to shift the whole assembly.

I am thinking this way because I plan on adding a slightly wider extension to the right in place of the one that is there, so I would need the angle iron shifted a little for support. I'm only talking about 4" more and this all depends on what I decide after seeing the saw. My thinking may change then. This would be for a router table.

JEFF:cool:

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 5:46 PM
For only 4" more, I wouldn't think you would have to worry about shifting the angle.

Cary Falk
10-18-2009, 5:48 PM
Jeff,
The holes on my shop fox classic are 10" apart. I don't know what they are on the new fence. You can also just take an angle grinder and notch out some spaces for the miter guage. I have done that before. You would more than likely have to move some holes to bolt it to the table saw if you went that route.

Cary