PDA

View Full Version : mounting a table saw to a cabinet

Nathan Callender
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey all -

I'm designing a table saw station similar to the 'little shop that could'. Basically, it's a 4x6 worktable with ts in one side and router in the other. I can't decide how to mount the table saw. It's a ridgid 3650, so the options are to mount the bottom on a middle cabinet level and shimming to bring the table flush with the rest of the top, or mounting it via the cast iron table to the strechers and letting the table saw 'hang' as it were. I'd prefer to let it hang from stretchers as I could then use bolts to adjust it flush with the station, but I'm worried that the weight of the saw would stress the cast iron top over time as the support would be at the outer edges of the CI top.

Let me know if I'm not explaining this properly, and I'll try to clarify - and if there are other ways to do this, please bring them up as well. I want a system that is easy to build and easy to adjust flush and square and keep it that way.

Josiah Bartlett
10-14-2009, 2:57 AM
I would support it from the bottom, its probably safer if you accidentally drop something on the top. Even Unisaws can have table problems if the extension wings are hammered on. You could use some appliance levelers between the base and the saw to make the height easily adjustable.

Cary Falk
10-14-2009, 5:39 AM
I would support if form the bottom also. I would be afraid if you attached it from the top, it would sag eventually. The motor is pretty heavy and hanging off the back will have the top out of balance and might twist the top.