PDA

View Full Version : Another job, Another contraption.

Doug Griffith
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I just got another off-the-wall freelance job: creating Quicktime VR Objects of long, fake fingernails. They are all going to be hand painted works of art.

I've done QTVR in the past but usually much larger items. The small size was an issue so I sat down in front of Illustrator and started thinking in 3D. The attached pics are what I came up with. I wanted to share it to show just what great tools our lasers are. If I had to build this any other way, it would be next to impossible for the amount of time and money I have invested. About 6 hours, a couple smalll sheets of acrylic, and a few components from McMaster Carr. I already had the camera.

Cheers,
Doug

Margaret Turco
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Way cool, I wish I could think that way!

Bob Cole
10-14-2009, 1:13 AM
Wow. That is really cool.

Stuart Orrell
10-14-2009, 2:20 AM
Very Nice Job Doug.

Amazing what can be made out of 2d materials.

Well Done!

onur cakir
10-14-2009, 4:41 AM
Great work !

Dave West
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Impressive!

Doug Griffith
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm all about creating things like this and fancy fixtures to make production easier or in this case doable. A side benefit to creating these and leaving out in the open for people to see (and play with) is getting more jobs. People think that if I can make "this" then I can very easily make "that." I get a lot of work this way. I'd guess that a laser cut clock would do about the same. Might be worth having one up in the office.

Anthony Scira
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
But how many pictures of the nail do you have to take to make the VR thing work ?

That is awesome and my brain hurts to think you made that in 6 hours !

Doug Griffith
10-14-2009, 1:06 PM
The final QTVRs for this item are going to be about 40 degrees up/down and left/right. Pictures taken every 10 degrees. So that's 9 x 9 = 81. Ideally, the pictures don't need much editing except for cloning out the support post. The post I'm going to use is very small diameter spring steel so that touch up work will be minimal. Most of the cropping, cloning and color adjustment will be scripted so I should be able to make money on this job.

As for making this in 6 hours, I've come to the conclusion that my brain just thinks this way. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Bob Savage
10-14-2009, 1:48 PM
That is an incredibly well executed, brilliant idea, Doug.

Frank Corker
10-14-2009, 5:30 PM
Doug you seriously worry me. Your head works completely different to mine, which having seen another of your examples of work, would appear to be completely empty.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-14-2009, 9:34 PM
Great gizmo Doug,
I always enjoy your posted projects.
Thanks for sharing and ...

Doug Griffith
10-15-2009, 1:17 AM
I highly doubt that Frank. Not empty at all. In fact quite the opposite. I've seen beautiful work that you've posted here on SMC!

Thanks Michael, I'll keep them coming. I've got a few I still need to take pics of. Plus the Chandelier and Plant moving transmission are still in the works. They will be interesting.

Cheers

Dan Hintz
10-15-2009, 6:50 AM
Plus the Chandelier and Plant moving transmission are still in the works.
Yeah, still waiting to see those bad boys...