PDA

View Full Version : sheet bronze

Thad Nickoley
10-13-2009, 9:24 PM
I have an urn that is sheet bronze. Can this be marked? I tried cermark with all different settings an dcant get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Frank Corker
10-14-2009, 5:12 PM
Thad, it's one of those materials, brass etc and marking is extremely difficult. With a cermark setting, go as low as 1 speed with 100 power and it might reveal a mark, but you also have to watch for distortion of the metal, it will get very hot.

Steve Rozwood
10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Thad,

Frank is right; bronze is very hard to mark because it absorbs a lot of the lasers energy. Also, if there is a protective coating on the surface, the material will not bond. If your laser is equipped to, I would also increase the DPI of the laser to a 1000 or higher, this will intensify the heat in a smaller area. So check if there is a protective coating and if there is remove it, then increase the DPI.

Steve

Gary Hair
10-15-2009, 7:22 PM
Thad,
I just lasered a sample piece of bronze today and it worked on my 30 watt machine - 100% Power and 10% speed (about 8ips). This piece is a tube about 3/32" thick and 1" diameter by about 1" long. Pretty small piece to handle in a rotary fixture but it worked.

Gary