PDA

View Full Version : executive desks

Dave Lehnert
10-13-2009, 7:28 PM
Anyone build an executive desk to sell? If so, what features do you find your customers like, type of wood etc...?
Also what price point seems to be the sweet spot?

Is there a Name brand in Executive desks? If so, who?

When I say customers It can be friends, family etc...

Orion Henderson
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Not sure about name brands or the rest-but my customers typically build them with more formal woods (typically darker)-Mahogany, Cherry, etc. Some features people always ask for are keyboard trays-or even laptop drawers and grommets for cords. I would think a built in charging station with a protected power strip would be very nice as well. Most everyone in every business has at least one computer (I have two) on their desk along with some type of digital doodad-phone, blackberry, camera, etc.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Not sure about name brands or the rest-but my customers typically build them with more formal woods (typically darker)-Mahogany, Cherry, etc. Some features people always ask for are keyboard trays-or even laptop drawers and grommets for cords. I would think a built in charging station with a protected power strip would be very nice as well. Most everyone in every business has at least one computer (I have two) on their desk along with some type of digital doodad-phone, blackberry, camera, etc.

Thanks for he info.
What exactly would a laptop drawer look like and where would it be placed?

Tony Bilello
10-14-2009, 1:07 PM
Dave
I dont mean to sound negative but your questions are very basic and if you have to ask, you might be much better off passing up this job. It could be a high dollar job with high dollar expectations. If anything, you need to go shopping in major office furniture stores and see what is available.

Orion Henderson
10-14-2009, 3:15 PM
I can't tell you exactly what it should look like or how to do it. I believe a lot of people are making what used to be the pencil drawer into a drawer for a laptop or at least a computer keyboard. It just allows someone to hide away their computer instead of leaving it on the desktop all the time. So many people have a laptop instead of a tower system now it just makes sense. This is particularly true for people who are on the road and/or take their work home with them.

Frank Drew
10-14-2009, 5:49 PM
Every client is different.

Some executives just want a beautiful desk to use in a more traditional manner -- phone, writing surface, etc., with the computer on another work surface altogether, maybe behind or otherwise a bit away from the main "show" desk.

For examples of super high-quality, showy desks, look up photos of various desks used in the Oval Office.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2009, 7:31 PM
Dave
I dont mean to sound negative but your questions are very basic and if you have to ask, you might be much better off passing up this job. It could be a high dollar job with high dollar expectations. If anything, you need to go shopping in major office furniture stores and see what is available.

Thanks for all the info.

I asked the questions because in the future (3-5 years) I MAY have a good opportunity to make a few $$$ with access to people who would be in a position to purchase such a high end product.

Just thinking out loud I guess. Always on the look out for extra $$$ If my day job would tank.

Joe Jensen
10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
The world will continue to go more high tech and not less. One key consideration should be wire, cable, and charger management. I've built a few nice desks and I built them hinged compartments in which all wiring could be hidden. Not keyboard and monitor wiring, those were gromets. I mean the 8 ft cords on everything, and the multitude of "Wall wart" power supplies. Make the compartment at least 4" front to back so there is room for these power supplies. I've put them under the desk towards the font behind the privacy panel. The abilty to neatly manage wires I think would be a selling point.

On keyboard / laptop drawers and trays, some people love them, some people hate them. I hate them. I think you need to have a flexible design and sell the "custom" side of your product. I think a key option would be custom "ergonomically designed" height for the desk.

John Keeton
10-15-2009, 7:39 AM
Dave, I do think there would be an opportunity here, and I agree with Joe that flexibility in custom design is where it is. As a start, I would visit some office furniture supply locations - not Office Depot, etc., but places where they carry and can order the more expensive stuff. Look at their floor samples for features, and ask for catalogues. Take a camera and take pics and tell them it is for comparison - which would be truthful. There may be some online info - for instance Stickley here (http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_Results.cfm?referrer=search&q=desk&Collection=&SearchSubmit=SEARCH).

The next step, for me, would be to locate a good supplier of high grade veneer plywood or decide if a vacuum setup is worthwhile. It would seem that limiting the wood choices would be a must as I think there would be a tremendous amount of waste otherwise. Perhaps pick 3-4 species so you can use the leftovers on future jobs.

Then, you are going to need to deal with the mass and moving aspect of delivery. The desk that I bought 35 years ago (at a cost then of $1800!!) is modular. It is a traditional style walnut desk, and weighs a ton! But, it breaks down for moving, although one has to remove a couple pieces of trim. I think that situation could be avoided with proper design.

Sounds like a great retirement/bailout plan!! Good luck with it.

Earl Kelly
10-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Dave,

When you talk about Executive desks, you need to take into consideration where it will be used. The settings I recognize are the Office, Home Office and Home. Each of these settings can have different requirements, or be completely interchangeable.

As for the design, that's up to you and/or the client. There's so many variables to consider, utility/use, dimension, design and even the finish look and durability.

Here's a couple of my designs, both could be used in Home or Office environments. The Aluminum leg desk is used in a Condo Management Office and the Lacewood and Wenge desk is in a Home. The Lacewood and Wenge desk is approx. 30"x60" and the Euc with AL legs is approx.30"x72"

Joe Jensen
10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
I love the aluminim legs. Were you able to purchase them stock, or did you have them made?

Earl Kelly
10-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I love the aluminim legs. Were you able to purchase them stock, or did you have them made?

Joe, I purchased these thru www.tablelegsonline.com (http://www.tablelegsonline.com). I did have to cut them down to get the proper height on the desk top. The way they mount is with screws thru a hefty flange, which is very strong and secure.

Dave, I posted these to show that "Executive" desks don't always need banks of drawers with "kneehole" configurations.

Earl

Dave Lehnert
10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all the info.

My first thought is to have a handful of designs that could be adjusted to the customer liking. Would think if it were a 100% custom it would be hard for a one man shop to redesign and the constant back and forth with changes. Guess it is a balancing act.

Joe Jensen
10-22-2009, 1:11 AM
Thanks for all the info.

My first thought is to have a handful of designs that could be adjusted to the customer liking. Would think if it were a 100% custom it would be hard for a one man shop to redesign and the constant back and forth with changes. Guess it is a balancing act.

I was thinking custom height would be a must and could be used as a good marketing tool if you learned how to measure people for ergonomic fitting of the desk. Or perhaps you could refer them to someone who would do the ergo analysis. The chair is a part of this analysis.

These exec desks are $10K plus for non-custom in fine furniture stores. I think to get that or more you'd have to go custom.

Don Bullock
10-22-2009, 11:02 PM
My idea of an executive desk would be the Greene and Greene style Aurora desk made by Darrell Peart (http://www.furnituremaker.com/Greene_Desk.htm). I saw one at his display in Pasadena this past weekend. The design, workmanship and execution are superb. It's the type of desk that any executive would be proud to own and use.

Since I'm just a retired school teacher and not an executive, I'm planning on making something along the lines of Kevin Rodel's Prairie Desk (http://www.kevinrodel.com/popups/prairie_desk.shtml) for my home office. I do, however, plan to add in some drawers. At this point I'm still deciding on the wood species, but I'm leaning toward a combination of maple and walnut.

As you can see from my choices I lean more toward arts and crafts designs more that ant other styles. Some would find these designs unacceptable and old fashioned.

The point being is that desks are very personal. What I like or want is not necessarily what someone else wants or likes. If you plan to make desks for "high end" executives be prepared to make unique furniture with a personalized design. No matter what design you use the quality must be exemplary.

Dave Lehnert
10-22-2009, 11:39 PM
My idea of an executive desk would be the Greene and Greene style Aurora desk made by Darrell Peart (http://www.furnituremaker.com/Greene_Desk.htm). I saw one at his display in Pasadena this past weekend. The design, workmanship and execution are superb. It's the type of desk that any executive would be proud to own and use.

Since I'm just a retired school teacher and not an executive, I'm planning on making something along the lines of Kevin Rodel's Prairie Desk (http://www.kevinrodel.com/popups/prairie_desk.shtml) for my home office. I do, however, plan to add in some drawers. At this point I'm still deciding on the wood species, but I'm leaning toward a combination of maple and walnut.

As you can see from my choices I lean more toward arts and crafts designs more that ant other styles. Some would find these designs unacceptable and old fashioned.

The point being is that desks are very personal. What I like or want is not necessarily what someone else wants or likes. If you plan to make desks for "high end" executives be prepared to make unique furniture with a personalized design. No matter what design you use the quality must be exemplary.

WOW! thanks for the links. The desks in your link are AWESOME!
I know it would take some time to create a following but look at some craftsman like Sam Maloof. Design your own unique project and sell it. Customers would take it or leave it.

Richard M. Wolfe
10-22-2009, 11:47 PM
To me there is a difference in an executive desk and a working desk. A working desk would have a keyboard tray and possibly storage for a tower in one side. An executive desk is more a furniture showpiece. I wouldn't have room for both, but then I don't have an executive's salary. :D