PDA

View Full Version : New to Laser cutting need advise!

Marina Georgiou
10-13-2009, 7:10 PM
Hello everyone!!
This is a wonderful place that has allowed me to find out alot of information on laser cut machines!!

I am a handmade jewelry designer and is very seriously thinking of getting an Epilog machine to help me more in my line of work, but I wanted to ask as i have practically no experience in the field on laser cutting technology.
I understand the very first is learning Corel Draw.. Please do correct me if i am wrong..

i am very computer literate but Coral was never needed for my designs, so I never bothered learning.
My main question is, that If you know Corel or some other Graphics Program is it easy to work on a laser cut machine.. or do you think it will be a very hard task for someone to accomplish like me being a total complete novice in the field.

thank you!

Dee Gallo
10-13-2009, 7:24 PM
Hi Marina,

Welcome to the Creek! By "very computer literate" do you mean you know how to use another graphics program? To prepare work for the laser, you would do best knowing both a paint program and a draw program. The most commonly used (and recommended for Epilog because it's very compatible) is CorelDraw. It's not hard to use once you learn the basics. There is a bitmap/paint aspect, but it is much better to use something more substantial like PhotoShop for best results on photos especially.

If you read through the posts, you will see that people use all kinds of programs, from freebies to high-priced. The program you are used to might work, you would do yourself a favor to mention it here or call Epilog and ask if the files it makes will work.

Good luck and keep posting!

cheers, dee

Margaret Turco
10-13-2009, 7:27 PM
Hi Marina, Welcome! I think the difficulty drawing would depend on how complex the shapes are that you want to cut out. Once you have the shape drawn there is no problem cutting unless you're using some unusual material. If you have drawn your designs by hand, you might be able to scan it and then use corel to trace and get a cut line. I hope that makes sense!

Good luck!

Marina Georgiou
10-13-2009, 7:41 PM
Thx for the responses guys..
Computer Literate not with graphics programs unfortunately..
Web design software (Dreamweaver) I must say literate (=
Know very little Photoshop...

Yes i also sketch my work sometime so that might be a starting option....

So I need to learn both Photshop & Coral Draw or similar programs?...
Do you also need to have a 3D software to be able to use these machines?...

I just wanted to find a route on where i can begin in this little engraving world and see If i have what it takes or learn if its possible!!

Sorry guys I am so new in this i must sound weird......

Still have a long way to go (=

Brian Robison
10-13-2009, 7:50 PM
Marina,
I can't think of a question about Corel that you could ask on this site and not get an answer. Do you have anyone close by to help see how your laser projects would go? Most people here would be glad to help out.

Dee Gallo
10-13-2009, 7:51 PM
If you are only interested in cutting at first, you don't need PhotoShop.

Why don't you post a photo of the type of work you intend to use the laser for, then we can advise you better. There are so many possible ways to go.

cheers, dee

Marina Georgiou
10-13-2009, 8:06 PM
As I am still new to the laser cutting.. I will try to explain..

For instance, i do alot of leather jewelry....
I cut the leather and shape it into different shapes.. and then engrave it with designs..be it holes, zig zags.. well many different shapes..
I use alot of fabric too... again all to do with different shapes.
I combine different material on my project....

Getting the laser would also help me substantially increase my production line.the leather would be cut so much easier, and however i wanted it to be cut.

In addition, what else pushed my interest into laser was acrylic cutting with the laser, to be able to cut and round curve acrylic into jewelry forms i.e a curved cuff bracelet with different designs and holes on them...

i also currently use wood, I engrave the wood into different shapes and forms...and make jewelry out of them..

The laser would benefit my so much!!!

these are some of the things I want to do.i have a million other ideas in my mind..with the laser, i think my options have no limit...

does any one know a good place to get started.. any tutorials of any online schools that you could recommend...

Marina Georgiou
10-13-2009, 8:14 PM
Here is an example of an acrylic bracelet i am talking about..
I am not sure though... has this been laser cut only or has heat been applied to it to get that bend...
thank you so much!!

Mike Null
10-13-2009, 8:40 PM
It appears to have been laser cut then bent on a form.

Dan Hintz
10-13-2009, 8:43 PM
Here is an example of an acrylic bracelet i am talking about..
I am not sure though... has this been laser cut only or has heat been applied to it to get that bend...
thank you so much!!
Heat was applied post-laser to bend it (though a glutton for punishment could have used a rotary to cut it out of an acrylic tube).

Marina Georgiou
10-13-2009, 8:57 PM
Dan you mention something about glutton for punishment... dont get me wrong..as i dont understand any of the techniques in laser cutting.., but can this be made in the laser cut machine, by just using the rotary device accesoory... Its as simple as that to get the curve on an acrylic sheet in the machine?.. or didn't i quite get your point?....

Darren Null
10-13-2009, 9:08 PM
A rotary has to be centred precisely to keep your beam in focus. If you haven't got the object perfectly centred or if the object isn't perfectly circular you're going to have problems.

Much easier to cut it flat; then bend it into shape later on a form......can be a separate machine; but any arrangement that allows you to apply the right amount of heat to the acrylic plus something to bend it round will work.

Doug Griffith
10-13-2009, 10:09 PM
For instance, i do alot of leather jewelry....

Take note that leather cut with a laser is pretty stinky. Though after awhile it fades.

David Fairfield
10-14-2009, 7:23 AM
You need to learn graphics software, there is no way around that if you want to operate a laser.

You can use Adobe or Corel with the Epilog. I use Adobe and love it. Both are very powerful programs. There is a lot to learn, some of it might feel counter-intuitive at first. Eventually it becomes second nature, like using a pencil.

I recommend taking a community college course if possible, that will speed up and simplify the learning process. I tried teaching myself from a guide book, but the learning curve was too steep for me.

Dave

Marina Georgiou
10-14-2009, 8:05 AM
Thank you!!

Excellent, I just needed some advise on where to start so my first step is indeed mastering a graphics software...

Can I also add if it is essential to know a 2D type software program for cutting machines? Can a 2D be applied somewhere..

Thank you all for all your help!! You all helped more than you think!!

George D Gabert
10-14-2009, 9:40 AM
Marina

I would look at the Epilog web site. They have a very good sample club as to what types of things the laser can do, including materials.

Also last year several members here posted their bracelet making capacity.

If you are going to only cut corel is probable the easiest way to go, since you can also import artwork for burning patterns/ artwork onto the surface as well as cut out in the same program.

GDG

Alexander Stein
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
New to the laser world as well. Dominant in the Graphics world, also a metalsmith... I think the laser is a very good way to cut those odd shaped pieces that you want to fit just perfect time in and time out for that high quality impression. . .

Currently I use Adobe Illustrator to design my pieces, set them at a .01 line stroke--> Save --> Open that Illustrator file on Corel Draw so that I can save the file as a PLT file ---> Save---> then send to laser.

I have quite a few hours on Illustrator so I use it over CD for speed purposes. It would be nice to be fluid in CDraw but I find it much easier to use Adobe products. Too bad they don't offer the PLT saving option in Illustrator...

Marina Georgiou
10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
David or anyone else you might know..
I have the Corel Graphics 11 (earlier version) installed already on my PC as I work with a mac... Is it okay as a program to learn .. i am not sure if there is a difference with the other CoralDraw programs other than new updates... i did notice there is corel trace, corel draw, corel R.a.v.e. and corel photo paint ... will it be good to learn from here first and once i mastered better, go to get the other newer versions? or is this program if you know pointless as it might not have the capabilities?.
I am not sure!!
I am planning on signing up on coral tutorial the soonest.. still looking to find a good place and is not sure yet (=
thxx

if someone understands from the specs for this version here is further details: http://www.amazon.com/CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite-Old-Version/dp/B000069LH7

Richard Rumancik
10-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Marina

We have a member Jackie McGowan who has done some acrylic jewelry. Do an advanced search on User: Jackie McGowan. Maybe this link will help

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95966

Also look for A&E May 2009 for an article by Tom Bernard (What to Try in a Slow Economy.)

You might be able to contact Jackie for advice.

2D vs. 3D: The laser is basically a 2D cutting device. You will not need a "3D" drawing package at all. The laser is actually capable of 2D (cutting), 2 1/2D (cutting and pocketing/engraving/texturing using raster) and limited 3D (using raster).

Start off with cutting only (2D). Then you can add engraving & texturing to your designs once you get the hang of cutting. After a year you might venture into doing some pseudo-3D. Normally, 3D is not very cost effective for lasers. However, there are a few exceptions where it can work. Mold making is one, jewelry is another. So once you have mastered the other processes you might look at it.

Corel 11 works fine. You might want start with what you have and to watch for a deal on a later version. Learn CorelDraw and Paint. You won't need RAVE. You might need Trace if you scan your designs and want to make a vector file.

If you can do website design, know Dreamweaver, etc. then I don't see why you can't learn Corel. Yes, it will take some time. Some people like the Adobe products but quite honestly the laser manufacturers seem to have a bias towards CorelDraw. Also more people here use CorelDraw.

Good luck!

Dan Hintz
10-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Marina,

If you want free, try InkScape. The latest beta supports Corel CDR files, and while the interface is quite a bit different than Corel, it will at least get you started with a vector program at minimal cost. You can transition to Corel later once you're comfortable with the laser.

George D Gabert
10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
From reading here on this site, I think that epilog only has drivers for windows.

The newer windows Corel combined most of your mentioned programs into one package.

Being an engineer, I am of the opinion that the only way to learn is to have to finish a project under fire or having a specific project in mind. Most tutorials teach you a lot of how to run the programs and all its features, but for what I think you are needing 95% of it will not be needed and just confuse you.

Regards
GDG

Frank Corker
10-14-2009, 5:25 PM
That's a nice bracelet. Looking at the shape of the holes, it has definitely been cut on the straight and bent afterwards.

Judith Halliday
10-15-2009, 4:16 PM
That person does well selling on Etsy. The process looks easy, but don't let the beauty fool you. It is complicated and you have to make sure you don't burn the paint when you bake it. Add to that the expensive cost of acrylic and you may not recuperate your cost. You will need at least a 45 w to cut the acrylic.