PDA

View Full Version : LaserGlow

Steve Clarkson
10-13-2009, 6:56 PM
I was thinking about buying some Laser Glow for a project and I noticed that they have front engravable choices now. But I was wondering about the Danger/Keep Out sign in the attached picture.....it has red and black......how do they do that? I assumed that there was only one color underneath.....

Brian Robison
10-13-2009, 7:13 PM
Probably reverse engraved. Engraved for the red, colorfilled, engraved the black, colorfilled.

Scott Shepherd
10-13-2009, 8:08 PM
Careful Steve, it's very expensive stuff and the glow doesn't last long. I have a sample here and I started putting it in light and then dark recently, and it only takes a few minutes before it goes dark, so not sure your application, but it's very expensive compared to normal plastics.

Steve Clarkson
10-13-2009, 8:26 PM
So it's color-filled? And not very lasting......interesting.

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
10-13-2009, 8:52 PM
Steve,

I would consider picking up some long-lasting, high-intensity pigments and paint your own... it would last in the dark significantly longer, you can choose from multiple colors, and the cost would probably be significantly less.

Frank Corker
10-14-2009, 5:10 PM
I have tried similar stuff and Steve is right, it doesn't glow for long at all, actually very disappointing. There are a lot of materials that you can purchase through likes of ebay if you use the right references (ie flourescent paint - glow in the dark).

Steve Clarkson
10-14-2009, 6:23 PM
Seems like the paint may be the way to go.....thanks for the input.

AL Ursich
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I have some too, even bought some $40.00 1/4 sheets....

I was going to try some Sublimation Mates over it... You can't Sublimate it, possibly CLTT?

I should try laser and Color Fill like mentioned.... :cool: Was even thinking about silk screen too...

This is interesting... http://www.inoplas.com/products/exterior/MEA%20Glow%20Brochure.pdf

AL

Bob Davis
10-15-2009, 2:45 AM
I haven't used any of it for commercial purposes, but I've cut out some pieces for home that have been quite handy.
I've put them on the inside of the stair banisters and under the lip of each step as well as next to light switches. The glow goes from being quite strong initially to a barely visible level that lasts for more than a few hours. Much easier to find your way around in the dark and quite inconspicuous in normal light. And no batteries.

Dee Gallo
10-15-2009, 6:45 AM
I'm just curious - when you laser this stuff, does the laser light supercharge it and make it glow?

:rolleyes: dee

Dan Hintz
10-15-2009, 6:52 AM
I'm just curious - when you laser this stuff, does the laser light supercharge it and make it glow?
If it does, it's probably a very minimal charging... CO2 lasers are in the IR region, whereas the phosphors used for this kind of stuff prefer UV for charging.

Mike Null
10-15-2009, 7:57 AM
Steve

Check the Rowmark website and even call their tech support.

The material is two ply best engraved with a rotary.