PDA

View Full Version : Slow progress, but shop progress!!

Brad Hammond
09-22-2004, 5:10 PM
well, i got the ts and bs moved last pm, plugs are in the floor and i've moved my outfeed table as well!! bolted the dp and bs to the floor. they're rock solid.
i've got some pics of the shed where my old shop was and pics of the new shop. i've yet to insulate and cover the walls in the new shop, but the lighting and plugs are in. i've only got 2 rooms left in mom and dads house for crown molding. dad's working on tile flooring and i guess i'll start cabinets next week!!!! seems like so long ago i started with the idea of building their cabinets and now it's finally here!.
thanx all for looking!!
cya
brad

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 5:20 PM
Glad to hear from you, Brad...thought maybe you dropped of the face of the earth or something! We'll need more pics, of course, outside ones, too! :D

Shop space looks, uh, SPACIOUS! Very nice, very nice....

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 6:02 PM
Looking great, Brad! But that saw do look lonely... :D

Question...are those posts temporary or staying where they are?

Brad Hammond
09-22-2004, 6:59 PM
thanx chris and jim.
jim, yeah those posts are temporary. i'm gonna build the permenant ones next week. in fact, according the truss guys the beam wasn't needed at all, but it makes me feel better. the ceiling joists are 2x12's.

yep the saw's lonley, but i got the outfeed table moved over after i took the pics so it's not as void now......hehe.

as soon as i get the insulation and wall covering up it'll really take shape with shelves and such.

cya'll later. i'll try to get a pic of the outside tomorrow. it doesnt take well when the sun is off to the west.

cya
brad

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 7:05 PM
jim, yeah those posts are temporary. i'm gonna build the permenant ones next week. in fact, according the truss guys the beam wasn't needed at all, but it makes me feel better. the ceiling joists are 2x12's.
Hmmm....one has to wonder if the beam is suffient without the extra posts in that case...you might want to ask a structural engineer, 'cause if they aren't needed it will really "free up" your floor space flexibility. But even with them, that space is SWEET!

Steve Clardy
09-22-2004, 9:45 PM
Hmmm....one has to wonder if the beam is suffient without the extra posts in that case...you might want to ask a structural engineer, 'cause if they aren't needed it will really "free up" your floor space flexibility. But even with them, that space is SWEET!
I too would reconsider the posts being there. Maybe just string line the bottom of the joists, then remove the posts, and check to see if anything sags down. Drop your string line down from the bottom of joists about a 1/2" or so.

Steve

Bart Leetch
09-22-2004, 11:07 PM
What is the span that your 2x12 are carrying & how far apart are they?

Brad Hammond
09-23-2004, 1:24 AM
bart..... they're on 2' centers with a 36' span...... my original plan for the posts were to be there for support in case i decided to move some wood upstairs, but i'd also planned on hanging my blade box, mitre, some jigs and such where they were handy.
so far they're not in the way. thanx for looking guys!!!!!!
brad

Frank Pellow
09-23-2004, 7:08 AM
ANY shop progress is GOOD PROGRESS. I look forward to seeing pictures of more progress.